2011 nissan frontier pro4x mild expedition build

Mo4130

Adventurer
Yea, some little things here and there, I have been gone with work and what not. I put on some limb raisers which Ill post up tomorrow, they were cheap and I have some fairly tight trails up here so they work well for what they are. I guess the biggest thing I have is the 255 85 16 km2's coming in on friday!!!! I ll post up some pics for sure when I get those mounted.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I have some pics of the new tires and also took a jaunt down to tahuya state forest. They have increased there trails from 8 to 13 miles. It was a good time.

AL1

Observer
Just finished reading the whole thread. Great job on the truck. Di you have any pics or info about the ipad mount. I use a ipad mini for navigation and music in my truck and have been looking for a feasible mount.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Just finished reading the whole thread. Great job on the truck. Di you have any pics or info about the ipad mount. I use a ipad mini for navigation and music in my truck and have been looking for a feasible mount.

Sure thing, I wail go out and take a picture in a couple of minutes. I really like the mount because it's removable and you can mount anywhere on the windshield. But with that being said I a going to be going to a more permanent solution and most likely get a ram mount and mount it next to the shifter column. You really don't need it up in your face and being a little moreout of the way would be nicer. I'll show you in the pics.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey Tom, couple of quick questions.

I'm planning on gathering up OME suspension parts soon. Did you ever end up adding the 1/2" spacers up front? It looks somewhat taller than the earlier pics. Might just be the tires though. If you did, are you getting any coil bucket contact?

I'm still trying to decide what rear springs to get. I'll have to do the math. I'll have a dual swing out rear bumper, sliders, occasionally a RTT, and occasionally a bunch of cargo. I'd like to retain the factory rake when its unladen, with only the bumper on there. It looks like thats the result you get with the cap. I can always chop up an old leaf and use it as a mini block if its not quite right though.

On the note of rear springs, did you get the shims that Nisstec sells, and did you use them?

Those 255/85s look amazing on there. Did they give you a noticeable MPG hit over your Firestones?

Did you ever get a rear bumper figured out? I'm going to talk to Hefty Fab sometime soon to make sure he'll still do the bumper I posted over on my thread.

Thanks in advance!

I think your truck looks perfect. It sits exactly how I want mine to sit after I'm done with mods and such. Beauty!

Last edited:

Mo4130

Adventurer
Thank you for the compliments!!

Alright, so I decided to not add spacers, mainly because I really didnt see the need just for the sake of aesthetics. I have not gotten any coil bucket contact. That is one of the main reasons I went with the OME is because they stress ride comfort and load capacity over lift amount, and for what I was looking for, its perfect! As for the tires, I added about 1.5 inches of ground clearance, which was a nice surprise! They are a tall 33, but as the tires wear I will obviously loose some clearance. I think I am going to add the camber bolts to see if i can dial out some speed wobble, even though its VERY minor. I just like my stuff dialed and it would make the tires last longer.

I am also thinking about going through with the bumper and I just need to put the order in. I have emailed shrockworks and arb and neither of them will offer a tire carrier, which is just mind blowing to me!! I shot a couple of emails to Chris at hefty after talking to Bill from boulder city ironworx. It looks like prices will be 1595 plus shipping, but that is for a tire carrier and a two jerry can tray! It is what it is I suppose. I also went with the med springs if that helps, I might go HD but time will tell, and yes I used the shims, I figured why not?! There has been absolutely NOTHING in terms of vibs or anything from the lift after about 15000 rough miles. Loaded up with fire wood its on the overload springs but still drives great, camp trailer no problem, just drives nice. The load e tires stiffened it up alot which I like, feels more like a truck .

I have not seen much of a drop in MPG maybe .25 MPG?? The truck drives great, and I attribute most of that to the narrow foot print of the tires. There is some hum to them, but it was significantly reduced when I aired down the front to about 42 and the rear to 44. Decible readings in cab at 55 are about 65 which is fine, but its the frequency which is up around 87 Mhz, which is the hum that you will hear. With that being said, one trip off road, and I will GLADLY deal with those short comings on road. Tank treads, that's all I can compare it too. The firestones were a perfect tire though, quite, pretty tough nothing bad to say about them, the truck isnt a DD as of right now, so I figured "why not". I am also driving with out a front sway bar, and I really havnt had the need to put it back on. I know some people are worried about the emergency maneuver scenario, but that's why I don't tail gate and I pay attention to a hole drivers :sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:

ALSO anyone around the area want to go exploring sometime????

Mo4130

Adventurer
image.jpg

So that's what I spent my night doing. All in all replacing the lower control arm wasn't that big of a pain. Took me about th re hours from start to finish. The biggest pain by far was getting the ball joint back in. Some genius decided to make it so you literally had no room. Either way I was able t guide it back in with a small pry bar.

As for taking the control arm out, I just used a saws all with demo blades, made very short work of both the arm and ballpoint stud. All this for camber bolts..... And in still need to do the other side.

Mo4130

Adventurer
I had to replace my lower control arm, because my camber bolts were cold welded. All that work just for adjustable camber bolts, and I still have to do the other side as well. Sometimes, it just doesn't end.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Nice setup! I'm currently doing a very similar build. I've got the OME HD and an ARB w/ M8000. I'm debating moving up to a 255, but am worried about rubbing issues. Do you experience any rubbing? The KM2 measures very tall, I've been planning on going with a Cooper ST Maxx (32.8"). Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier