2011 Ford Focus. Building a better traveling vehicle (Small Budget build).

Travelin _man

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!!
I used to tow with a focus and it wasn't terrible and still got decent gas milage yanking my boat around. I can't say for certain that the towing was the root cause, but the rear struts and transmission were toast after 5 years.

Have you considered a small utility trailer to hail a large ground tent and cots? It'd be a lot lighter than a pop up and easier on the Focus. I bet you could get a fully loaded utility trailer under 500lbs if you pack well.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Hobiecat

Observer
Not to mention it'll come in handy if you ever have to pickup mulch or furniture! And as the budget grows you could even mount an RTT on top.

My wife's uncle has a pop up and really likes it, but it seems to be pretty maintenance intensive. I'd rather be able to replace individual components independently myself.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
We have a pop up as well. From what I know about it, I think it's 1200-1400 lbs. Our patriot can pull it no problem, but I am looking at building a trailer for two reasons....1. Show off my fabricating chops for my shop and show what I can do for clients. 2. lighten up the camping rig. I am going to add a bike and kayak mount over the water tight storage. up in a container up front will house water and battery storage. I am planning on having cooking, power, refridgeration and what not all built in. Should be a neat trailer. Plus dry storage for our 3 dome tent, "furniture" and what not.

Travelin _man

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!!
Update, kinda. Hit a bump in the road with the wifes job so the build has slowed down a bit. But once we get over this bump we will be back in action.

editedforsafety

I used to tow with a focus and it wasn't terrible and still got decent gas milage yanking my boat around. I can't say for certain that the towing was the root cause, but the rear struts and transmission were toast after 5 years.

Have you considered a small utility trailer to hail a large ground tent and cots? It'd be a lot lighter than a pop up and easier on the Focus. I bet you could get a fully loaded utility trailer under 500lbs if you pack well.

Towing may have been part, but may not have been. They seemed to have a lot of trans issues with that generation of Focus. Well, with the current one too, but at least they have extended the warranty.

Ex-girlfriends trans went out right after the warranty expired in her 09?. After talking with the dealer, they assured me that even though it was just outside the warranty, Ford would still help out, BUT they had to drop the trans and diagnose ($1000) before they could submit a warranty claim. Ford ended up saying it's out of warranty, sorry about your luck. It was under 5,000 miles past the warranty. From my research, it seemed they had a lot of trans problems. Called everybody I could and got nowhere. I was already in to them for $1000 with nothing fixed, so I was kind of stuck paying another 1700 to finish it. Felt like they lured me in with promise of warranty help, when I could have went somewhere else and got a reman trans for $1500 (which I did price out). It's been years, and I'm still pretty salty about that.

bdp1978

Adventurer
I'm also in Rochester Hills, small world!

May I suggest an alternative in the Taurus wagon sense...........................Buick Roadmaster

Dude.....you can make the cruise up north in style while still towing a pop up like a boss. 5000lb towing capacity and I believe some of them had air bags, bubble top sunroof....and a jump seat!!! Set the cruise on 80 and haul ***** up 75N.

They pop up on Detroit Craigslist all the time relatively cheap. I have a weird obsession with these can Caprice wagons. Throw a Yakima Skybox on one and you have pickup like storage capacity! And they look rad.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/6194139489.html

Travelin _man

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!!
I'm also in Rochester Hills, small world!

May I suggest an alternative in the Taurus wagon sense...........................Buick Roadmaster

Dude.....you can make the cruise up north in style while still towing a pop up like a boss. 5000lb towing capacity and I believe some of them had air bags, bubble top sunroof....and a jump seat!!! Set the cruise on 80 and haul ***** up 75N.

They pop up on Detroit Craigslist all the time relatively cheap. I have a weird obsession with these can Caprice wagons. Throw a Yakima Skybox on one and you have pickup like storage capacity! And they look rad.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/6194139489.html

I do like the look of the Roadmasters. My friend had a black caprice wagon that he used for car audio competition and that thing was amazing. With 12 12 inch sub woofers walled from the b-pillar back and the weight of the batteries and amps that car rode real smooth.

I think a Rusty Roadmaster would be the ticket! Be sure to get a good Winged Wheel on it! I feel for you guys back there. You might find one of those out west here (yes, cars are more $$$ here) with not a spec of rust. Grab a one way ticket, take a West Coast vacation and cruise it back home.:)

Travelin _man

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!!
The wife and I have talked it over, and we are going to keep her car the way it is and by Caravan, Town & Country or get us another Astro/Safari van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke