2010 patriot soft roader build.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Like Jeep, Toyota put together some propaganda about how well each of their 4wd systems work. It's flashed based but a few have recorded it for youtube.

The highlander/venza system is the typical on-demand slippage-50%-transfer brake-augmented system that cuts power so as to not overpower anything. You'll be even more disappointed now.

Were it the hybrid, that is FWD with a rear mounted electric motor/differential that is independent of the front drive train. Any acceleration, it's assisting but it can't move the vehicle on it's own.

No experience with either but did some research.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Thanks man! I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed, I put a lot of love into this thing and transmission whine flipped on like a light switch, and it was so loud that we had to pull over cause we thought it was gonna blow out lol. By the end of our trip the wife and I looked at each other and were like this things gotta go before the trans goes! For the HL I'm not too certain on how well of an awd system it has, there's not too many people wheeling them or using them outside of a Macy's parking lot lol.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Yep, That's how they go! The CVT is pure ****. It is the dumbest thing ever put into a vehicle. When you think about it...anyone defending it in the patriot has little to no knowledge in the system or is a complete moron. 1. CVT gets worse gas milage than the 6sp. 2. the CVT has WAY less reliability than the 6 spd. 3. If you go with the FD1 CVT you loose low gearing, if you go with the FDII CVT you loose highway crusing high gearing, the 6 sp has both and works better than both. 4. Maintanence on the CVT is much higher and more expensive than the 6sp. Really....why do you think that jeep has gone away from it? not because its a stellar performer in any situation. I know that my 2015 pat, is WAY better on and off road than my 2010 FDII.

Rosso stating the pre 2014 time period was blissful? really? I guess that is just because he knows the 6sp is better than the CVT and cannot buy a new auto....I am guessing that is it because that's the only reason I would call owning a cvt trans in the patriot blissful.

As for your new rig, pop some good meat on the rims.....and drive it. get some sort of extraction for yourself and not worry to much about the awd system. If your not rock crawling or muddin! you should be good to go.

kojackJKU

Had a quick look....I think you will be figiureing out lift setup your self. There are a few different front and rear brush guards available. I would add a set of wheel spacers, and some BFG ATs in the biggest you can stuff in there. The highlander is not what they call an adventure rig. If she got coils all around, you can figure out something for a small lift.

jhill15

Explorer
Like Jeep, Toyota put together some propaganda about how well each of their 4wd systems work. It's flashed based but a few have recorded it for youtube.

The highlander/venza system is the typical on-demand slippage-50%-transfer brake-augmented system that cuts power so as to not overpower anything. You'll be even more disappointed now.

Were it the hybrid, that is FWD with a rear mounted electric motor/differential that is independent of the front drive train. Any acceleration, it's assisting but it can't move the vehicle on it's own.

No experience with either but did some research.
Yeah I noticed there's not too much info or videos of the 4wd system. However if it gets me to the through the snow, to the Campground, and on the beach then I'm good to go!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
sad to see this little thing come to an untimely end after the work you put in....oh well onward and upward. you'll be better off with the yota.

jhill15

Explorer
Yep, That's how they go! The CVT is pure ****. It is the dumbest thing ever put into a vehicle. When you think about it...anyone defending it in the patriot has little to no knowledge in the system or is a complete moron. 1. CVT gets worse gas milage than the 6sp. 2. the CVT has WAY less reliability than the 6 spd. 3. If you go with the FD1 CVT you loose low gearing, if you go with the FDII CVT you loose highway crusing high gearing, the 6 sp has both and works better than both. 4. Maintanence on the CVT is much higher and more expensive than the 6sp. Really....why do you think that jeep has gone away from it? not because its a stellar performer in any situation. I know that my 2015 pat, is WAY better on and off road than my 2010 FDII.

Rosso stating the pre 2014 time period was blissful? really? I guess that is just because he knows the 6sp is better than the CVT and cannot buy a new auto....I am guessing that is it because that's the only reason I would call owning a cvt trans in the patriot blissful.

As for your new rig, pop some good meat on the rims.....and drive it. get some sort of extraction for yourself and not worry to much about the awd system. If your not rock crawling or muddin! you should be good to go.

Had a quick look....I think you will be figiureing out lift setup your self. There are a few different front and rear brush guards available. I would add a set of wheel spacers, and some BFG ATs in the biggest you can stuff in there. The highlander is not what they call an adventure rig. If she got coils all around, you can figure out something for a small lift.
Lol man I'll have to get back to ya when I get off work Kojack

vhercules

Sorry to hear about the patriot especially after all the work and love you gave it.
Anyways on a more positive note the highlander is an excellent family vehicle with the usual bulletproof toyota reliability. It is not an offroad vehicle and the awd system is your typical slip and grip like most crossovers these days. All power is sent to front wheels and when slippage is detected torque is sent to other wheels, that combined with the traction control system make it pretty good on snow and icy conditions. upto 50% power can be sent to either axle
Then newer models I believe have a awd lock which will do a 50/50.
Based on the picture looks like yours is the previous gen highlander which I believe has a snow mode / button. There is not much info on this but from what little I know using snow mode starts transmission in second gear and wheels are less likely to spin, also most likely sends more power to rear wheels.
Ground clearance is not too bad at just shy of 8 inches ... so as someone said throw in larger AT tires and it can easily tackle simple/moderate trails.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Sorry to see this end like it did but now I truly understand why kojack is so against the cvt.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Its not just his rig either. Like I said, I had/have issues with both I had. They are great for snowmobiles not cars. Also, like I said, I build custom snowmobiles for a living, I can have a sled with 300 HP and the "cvt" in that will live a long and happy life....you get a car with 140 max and they die quickly...

jhill15

Explorer
Well guys it's official!
894da0881a90b765ef97277b477a9512.jpg

The last pic of my patriot!
485881b196582eba78960e202e6a89ea.jpg

...someone's angry at me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member