2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

Kpack

Adventurer
Project: Front camera install

Purpose: When running tight trails, I find it hard to tell exactly what's in front of my over the huge hood of my truck. I have a general sense of where obstacles are, but it's easy to loose track of what's coming, especially when coming over a rise. I figured a camera on the front would at least give me a better idea of where to place my tires in case I don't always have a spotter.

Materials
-Camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018800TR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-Fuse tap
-Solder
-Heat shrink

Cost: ~$40

Time: 45 minutes

The camera comes with hardware for several different configurations, and is preset to be used as a front-facing camera. I put it on the provided mount, pictured here before bending. I then bent the mount so that I could mount it vertically on my bumper and have the camera pointing slightly down.
y4mqI2WWg_1db4wAPquREjq6v0gHfzLY-dCL9Xa_Al1RXvEfK1JZ6TQ96qGKuLtqEHxneNet74wEcrq978i9HnW7Ihq1EikP1oLruPPEFLQxF8Mpz0a8m0wRQ0HnHGLw3--WRz1EQrSpwInAe6jjeOnttMvSyora2XZyzCE0IKhELJAjRGpcdE3cGE6MtTgLVIsQr0ScJ3NTspuFZTYME0Uuw

I used the included contoured 3M double sided adhesive pad and set it right in the center of my bumper, inside a cut out. It is hardly noticeable from the outside. I have not finalized the wiring behind it yet.
y4mS6hVpLLGvCmqIaBBOFosRyhJUPdUHUA-268DX4tXUttkpbegPTZW2wiSxrPu1De8nXdsT-Fdrf4JOgDkrH-Uptx50aOHpkidp9C1MeOp7OzQo5PIEL04t_o0_uQGaZPZWLpPQPJtw5vnhqoSO1m7aS9R2qxeh3_qB621kOgTVRj2IcGcQp7jb-I-2sxRBttF1AaWIkiEDFD9L_9jurjdIg

3M makes some good adhesive so I am fairly confident it will last (hopefully). The camera weighs almost nothing.
y4mvB0QL_EFmTPN11A36cYZsaeqSARknJVGLuil1E8_vHdkTNK7NC0BORAJl5KqKTbdyehaXuykO14SeFw8AGuKFGRqqB-RCJiBo7Da5BLrSO3mxLCeIBE3jsraLBInHrG64b_BDmKB8VJ55SHLDLrfGPQmaeeb1V1GSiBdJJRFFRb0v9OxrTAdGnaJwK6zhDVxMFzsaoms4_zpdNeg62wPKw

I ran the video cable through the firewall to the back of my head unit. The ground wire was extended and attached to my chassis ground. The positive wire was extended and ran through the firewall to the driver's side fuse panel. I pulled and tested the fuse slot for the heater, and it turns on when the key is turned to ACC. I used a fuse tap and added the camera into this circuit.

The camera footage shows up on my head unit fairly clearly. My HU is a Pioneer, so I will need to get a parking brake bypass in order to see the image while the truck is moving.
y4mVQUnWi5aV213_CUESBanJaz6AK6CwYspw6dil0JldrGruuNLpNw5IBPRABag-GbXCDK_XQdx775tVfrMv9Lak8IhiocoTXCmFuStzj4hzrBC1NkTS4WeJl91axGZ--ntGSJfQDypDBQcc3b7hrT-ZBtLoGllB7hhlWPhu9S6MbKSrcT4mjI2PlqeIIawVCZuQooaatSu82sQPhY9r1EfvQ

Hopefully this will make things a bit easier on the trails. For $20 it isn't an expensive upgrade, and it wasn't too hard to install.

GTV

I replaced the rack in my 05 Sequoia a couple months ago, it wasn’t really that bad of a job. I got a reman rack from Phoenix Rack & Axle for $250 (after core) but I know there are a lot of shops that do it and some are probably cheaper. You can still get new ones from Toyota as well but of course they cost a lot more. It’s a good time to replace all of the rack bushings and the outer tie rod ends if you don’t know their history.

tennesseewj

Observer
Nice work on the camera. Are you running a rear camera as well? I'm thinking of adding one after I upgrade the head unit

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

KTempleton

Observer
Might be worth a shot. But I just did my rack. I was at Toyota having the 4Runner serviced and was talking to the parts guy. He slid me a piece of paper with a name on it. I guess if they were to do it they would get it locally in Houston from ASAP Steering (713)681-2777. They re manufacture OEM racks with OEM parts. I got mine for $150 with core. Was $100 more without the core. And they hand delivered to me. Easy install and works great. Might be worth looking into them and see if they can ship ya one. Parts guy said if I had them order it, they would charge $600 for the rack. I'm glad he had a built 80 series and was admiring the 4Runner build and he hooked it up.

Kpack

Adventurer
I replaced the rack in my 05 Sequoia a couple months ago, it wasn’t really that bad of a job. I got a reman rack from Phoenix Rack & Axle for $250 (after core) but I know there are a lot of shops that do it and some are probably cheaper. You can still get new ones from Toyota as well but of course they cost a lot more. It’s a good time to replace all of the rack bushings and the outer tie rod ends if you don’t know their history.
The rack bushings and tie rods are all new within the last 15K miles, but I'll double check them when I replace the rack.

Nice work on the camera. Are you running a rear camera as well? I'm thinking of adding one after I upgrade the head unit

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I'm not running a rear camera yet. I'm waiting for my rear bumper to show up before I decide on what camera I will need. Hopefully should be done within the next week or so, then shipped. Brute Force will be sending me a rear view camera extension bracket that typically goes on their Tacoma bumpers, and I'm hoping to make it fit my truck.

I think the NAPA racks carried a lifetime warranty, the socal tundras guys used to run them.

Sean
I'll definitely check with NAPA, since they are here in town. Anything else I would have to order in.

Might be worth a shot. But I just did my rack. I was at Toyota having the 4Runner serviced and was talking to the parts guy. He slid me a piece of paper with a name on it. I guess if they were to do it they would get it locally in Houston from ASAP Steering (713)681-2777. They re manufacture OEM racks with OEM parts. I got mine for $150 with core. Was $100 more without the core. And they hand delivered to me. Easy install and works great. Might be worth looking into them and see if they can ship ya one. Parts guy said if I had them order it, they would charge $600 for the rack. I'm glad he had a built 80 series and was admiring the 4Runner build and he hooked it up.
I assume I'd have to ship back my old rack to them, which may not make it cheaper. I guess I need to check with NAPA first and see what they have. However I do like the idea of going with a re-man OEM....that's what I did with my front CV axles. They work great.....but I still haven't gotten around to shipping back the old axles for a refund.

Kpack

Adventurer
Northwest Overland Rally 2019 is coming up quickly....June 20-23 near Leavenworth, WA. http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/

Anyone planning on going? I had to miss last year due to babies being born, but I'm on for this year. There are quite a few 1st gen Tundras in the NW...maybe we can all meet up? I'll be there for Friday and Saturday.

BattleCat

Northwest Overland Rally 2019 is coming up quickly....June 20-23 near Leavenworth, WA. http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/

Anyone planning on going? I had to miss last year due to babies being born, but I'm on for this year. There are quite a few 1st gen Tundras in the NW...maybe we can all meet up? I'll be there for Friday and Saturday.
I will be there for sure. Would definitely like to meet up with a 1st gen crew.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
I ran a couple of those cheap cameras for a while. They do the job decently enough. I put some glue in the back though, where the wire exits.

I'd recommend a set of Energy Suspension bushings when doing the rack. My NAPA one is starting to leak after three years and the bushings are shot.

Fren

Just binge read your build. Awesome sir! Appreciate all the detail and thought processes you put into this thread. Love first gen Tundras, looking for one with regular cab 4x4 v8. Camper maybe flatbed, still in my head mode.

Kpack

Adventurer
I ran a couple of those cheap cameras for a while. They do the job decently enough. I put some glue in the back though, where the wire exits.

I'd recommend a set of Energy Suspension bushings when doing the rack. My NAPA one is starting to leak after three years and the bushings are shot.
I will definitely protect the back of cameras with some glue. Good suggestion. The bushings on my rack are new-ish polyurethane, but I'll likely just do fresh ones when I get around to swapping the rack.

Just binge read your build. Awesome sir! Appreciate all the detail and thought processes you put into this thread. Love first gen Tundras, looking for one with regular cab 4x4 v8. Camper maybe flatbed, still in my head mode.
Thanks, hope you found some useful things.

Not much has been happening with the truck lately. Just waiting for my rear high clearance bumper from Brute Force Fab....

Kpack

Adventurer
This is my truck right now:

4b967efb8b0041691c534b46f398782748bb06e9fae2a1a8c6f6811c4893f08d.jpg

What are you all using to keep your UCA's/uniballs quiet? My Camburgs have ~15K on them, mostly road use. They have been totally silent up until about 1K miles ago and now they squeak like crazy. In the past Camburg told me to use a white lithium grease on the zerks for the bushings, and Tri Flow for the balls. They also said if the balls were exceptionally dirty to spray them with WD-40, soak overnight, clean everything off and lube with Tri Flow.

I greased the zerks maybe 2,000 miles ago, and have tried to keep the balls clean and apply Tri Flow regularly. Wrong kind of grease?

Reactions: bkg

smokeysevin

Observer
I have used lots of different lubes for the uniballs, I am currently running replacements from ruffstuffspecialties as the original uniballs had no liner left on them which could have been my fault for using non-spec lube. I am not an expert in any regard on this so use at your own risk.

wd40-gel: kind of goopy but kept the squeaking down
wd40: stopped squeaking but only for a short period
crc fluid film: sticks around for a while and kept squeaking to a minimum, "attracts dirt" (probably my favorite I use it on the rod ends for my cantilever as well)
spray teflon lube (which was what was recommended a while ago): squeaked like crazy but didn't "attract" dirt

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips Sean. I've heard that the teflon spray lube is supposed to work, but I'm hesitant to bother with it after your experience.

I went and re-lubed the zerks on the UCA's yesterday. I loosened the UCA through bolt (with the truck on the ground at normal ride height) and pumped white lithium grease into the zerks until I saw some coming around the bushings. I then used a small screwdriver to relieve excess pressure from the zerk. There was quite a bit of grease that came back out. I then tightened up the UCA bolt to 85 ft/lbs. That was a bit annoying with the tire right in the way.

The sound is mostly better. Still some on both sides, but more on the passenger. When I went out to check this morning they both squeaked like crazy initially. After bouncing on the sliders a bit they quieted down. Maybe I just have to live with some squeaking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94