2005 F-450 4x4 Utility Body w/ Starcraft Pine Mountain Lonestar Pop-top Camper

71stpsde

I was sold on getting a flatbed, but I know for fact that a service body is the best choice for me. I priced out a flatbed and added 4 boxes and the cost is really close to a service body. I called Knapheide and got a quote for one. It was $6000. Not cheap, but storage is very limited in popup campers. Love all the updates you have done to the truck. Keep up the work.

Mike

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I was sold on getting a flatbed, but I know for fact that a service body is the best choice for me. I priced out a flatbed and added 4 boxes and the cost is really close to a service body. I called Knapheide and got a quote for one. It was $6000. Not cheap, but storage is very limited in popup campers. Love all the updates you have done to the truck. Keep up the work.

Mike

Just be sure you're getting an accurate quote - you'll probably need a somewhat special service box unless the camper was modified to fit a regular box. (Usually they need to either be wider than normal or have shallower side cabinets so that the "bed" is wide enough for the slide-in.)

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO

Mike

Thanks Mike. I considered a flatbed as well. Ran across this setup, and was sold. The storage is awesome. If I had the coinage to build a brand new rig, it would be off the same configuration.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk Pro

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Just be sure you're getting an accurate quote - you'll probably need a somewhat special service box unless the camper was modified to fit a regular box. (Usually they need to either be wider than normal or have shallower side cabinets so that the "bed" is wide enough for the slide-in.)

Absolutely correct. This Pacific service body has lower boxes than most standard models. The camper only needs a thin padding in the bed, for bed and camper protection. If the boxes were standard height, the camper would have to be raised too high in the bed. I don’t Iike that look or road manners at all. I really like the bare minimum over cab clearance; camper has never touched the top of the cab.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk Pro

71stpsde

Thanks Herbie. I did get a quote for the lower profile compared to normal service beds. Most are at 24", the lower profile is 20". Close to what my truck bed is. If I have to, I can add a bed mat. This one is also 54" wide in the bed. More than enough room for the 48" for the truck camper.

Mike

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Thanks Herbie. I did get a quote for the lower profile compared to normal service beds. Most are at 24", the lower profile is 20". Close to what my truck bed is. If I have to, I can add a bed mat. This one is also 54" wide in the bed. More than enough room for the 48" for the truck camper.

Mike

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I'm not one to polish rims and crap on a regular basis, or at all, but these rims have been severely neglected for many years; pitted and clouded. Figured uncared-for looking parts is a direct reflection on the owner's attention to maintenance. So, took advantage of 30 min of no PNW rain this afternoon. Used a polishing ball, Makita 12v drill and some semi truck aluminum polish. Hardly any physical effort needed at all. Good to go for another 10 years.
2 before pics
4 after pics
e53ec0ba52ad371c16e16b9a3ea6369b.jpg
a2b8963a598e171c6a3c87a59383718b.jpg
22f6f21391c4cc386e874d767eec630a.jpg
0312fafa01a91fce18515e1e351dcb9a.jpg
ec65e2e81a25005f968d5b75a25ea4bd.jpg
461530cfed210a9df6d2539b908fcbcb.jpg

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Light upgrade on the big rig, KC LED Flex pods. Added an aluminum bar across the two ARB Bull Bar light mount tabs. Very secure setup. I'll be removing the upper/camper LEDs; never really like them up there.

Attachments

• 20180415_133848.jpg
    20180415_133848.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 50
  • 20180415_133944.jpg
    20180415_133944.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20180415_133954.jpg
    20180415_133954.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 46
  • 20180415_142151.jpg
    20180415_142151.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Interested in how you like those, and how the compare to the cheapie 9"!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO

Will see how they do. The cheapie 9" LEDs are bright as F. But, the upper lights are coming down soon. Needed another set of lights on the bumper. I could remove the amber/fog covers from the 9", and add amber covers to the KCs as well. Options

java

Expedition Leader

Will see how they do. The cheapie 9" LEDs are bright as F. But, the upper lights are coming down soon. Needed another set of lights in the bumper. I could remove the amber/fog covers from the 9", and add amber covers to the KCs as well. Options
Yep they are, but could use to be a bit more focused IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles