2004 Tundra Adventure Cab - Build/Adventure Thread

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Been wanting to add under hood lighting for a while. I get asked about my On board shower all the time and it's easier to show off with some lighting when it gets dark. Plus with this much lighting. It can double as camp lights along with the rock lights.

https://youtu.be/cGskwumodCk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Upgraded the alternator to a 150amp unit normally found the the sequoia loaded models. Got a reman denso unit from amazon.

eccdfdad03a2823284969436a39ddf09.jpg
46ccd7ae053b530249cc989e8a121bdc.jpg
a9840b2b287759885b82d21607fa90c5.jpg
8db1fcd20f3f1bebdf9e25b28a3ee3cb.jpg

https://youtu.be/Gi3u5k-h9ho

Kpack

Adventurer
How do you keep your engine bay so clean? I can't get the baja mud off of anything to save my life...

Yeah man, my thoughts exactly. I was watching the video of the water pump set up and was instantly ashamed that my engine is so dirty compared to his. Look at how shiny the valve covers are! My engine bay is definitely not clean, and the underside of the truck is always filthy even after I power wash it.

-Kevin

toyotech

Expedition Leader
How do you keep your engine bay so clean? I can't get the baja mud off of anything to save my life...

Yeah man, my thoughts exactly. I was watching the video of the water pump set up and was instantly ashamed that my engine is so dirty compared to his. Look at how shiny the valve covers are! My engine bay is definitely not clean, and the underside of the truck is always filthy even after I power wash it.

-Kevin

I just pressure wash it after each trip. Nothing special other than a gas power pressure washer

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Toyotech!

Taking it back to page 2 with this one.
Did you like your bilstein 5100 setup? Could you tell an improvement over stock? You were using stock coils correct?
Are aftermarket upper control arms required? Did you need the wheel spacers to clear your 32s?

Thanks! I have a set of 285/75r16 Duratracs with half tread remaining that I would like to fit eventually.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
What are the advantages of the larger alternator?

Anything electrical you add on to your vehicle is running off your battery. If you have a bunch of high drain appliances running at once, you could drain your battery before the alternator has a chance to replenish.

With a higher amp alternator, you can charge your system faster. Keep in mind that an alternators rating is for when the engine is in the 2000-3000 RPM range. Oftentimes while offroading you don't consistently have that RPM.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Toyotech!

Taking it back to page 2 with this one.
Did you like your bilstein 5100 setup? Could you tell an improvement over stock? You were using stock coils correct?
Are aftermarket upper control arms required? Did you need the wheel spacers to clear your 32s?

Thanks! I have a set of 285/75r16 Duratracs with half tread remaining that I would like to fit eventually.

5100 with stock TRD coil was a little firmer over the factory TRD bilstien shocks. This was when the truck was stock. No extra bumpers or shell. The firmness was good on the streets. Off road was ok.

Once I started adding more weight. It's seems like the 5100 couldn't keep up. It still road plush as weight went up. Probably too plush lol.

I would highly recommend an aftermarket UCA mainly to being your caster as far positive as you can. This does two things. One it pushing the tire further away from the body. Two it allows the wheel to return to center easier and drive straighter. So three noticeable things.

Also the UCA allows for more travel and tire clearance between the top of tire and arm.

Spaces wasn't needed for 32s on stock rim but 33 might as the size you listed is wider.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
What are the advantages of the larger alternator?

Your alternator is what keeps everything running when the engine is running. The battery is just a buffer. The more aftermarket accessories you add that uses power. The quicker you can wear out the alternator. I didn't go up to much from the originally 130amp to 150amp but I love doing factory upgrades using parts originally found on other Toyota's to create a unique build sheet.

tennesseewj

Observer
Excellent thread, made it through all 734 posts today!

What prep did you do on the mirror caps & grill prior to spraying and how's it holding up? I just pulled the trigger on an '06 double cab and ridding myself of that chrome is pretty high on my wish list.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior