2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Swapped out our MPPT controller (ProVista ISC3040) that failed for a simple/cheap 30A non-MPPT controller from ebay (~25$).

NNWt2K0.jpg

Digging deeper I found that ISC3040 is problematic itself and has been known to have issues and overcharge battery... More info here: http://www.wombattechnology.com.au/pages/articles/mp3735-ends-in-tears.php

The new cheap solar charge controller appears to be working great and even generating some energy in the gray winter of PNW. Should generate nice amount of Amps as we head to South ;)

Live and learn... I guess it's possible to build solar solution on budget. :)

P.S. Will keep this thread updated on how new controller is performing...

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Our GoPower 1000W Inverter died on us - with smoke and nasty smell. :(

Got new inverter at Walmart - hopefully this lasts longer than couple months, and costed way less too... :)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
One more thing I noticed, the new tires BFG T/A KO2, have decreased our millage from 15 to 13.5.

My only hope is that they are more reliable than Discoverer AT3's though :)

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Hopefully your new inverter holds up better. Interesting mileage comparison in the tires, thanks for sharing and happy travels.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Got our Fan-Tastic Vent dome blacked out. Now we don't get any light coming in anymore when vent is shut. :wings:

uUJ2vdK.jpg

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Just some statistics that I have collected so far:

ARB 37QT fridge that is set at 2C/35F with temperature outside around 28C/80F consumes around 14 Amps in 24hours. Comes down to ~0.6 Amps/hour.

For a solar, we can get from 20 - 40 Amps charged in a day (100W panel). The amount charged in will depend on how much we actually use energy as right now there is more than enough sun. ;)

mel

slem
One more thing I noticed, the new tires BFG T/A KO2, have decreased our millage from 15 to 13.5.

My only hope is that they are more reliable than Discoverer AT3's though :)

My Sprinter van mpg is also down by 3mpg with the new K02 tires. Anyone have an explanation for the expensive drop in milage?

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
My Sprinter van mpg is also down by 3mpg with the new K02 tires. Anyone have an explanation for the expensive drop in milage?

I would start with weight. Our old tires were 37lb and new ones are 42.5lb and that is 5.5lb per tire or ~15% increase in weight. Also it's a bit more aggressive tread.

Depending on what type/weight your old tires were, it might partially explain 3mpg drop in your case.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
We have finally received new Torsion Bar and key DORMAN 697601 (697-601).

25uZfSL.jpg

However when both of them are installed it appears that there is more lift (van sits higher) without it even being cranked up compared to old one being cranked up almost to the max.

Will install the old key and see how it looks like.

Was wondering has anyone had similar experience?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
We have finally received new Torsion Bar and key DORMAN 697601 (697-601).

25uZfSL.jpg

However when both of them are installed it appears that there is more lift (van sits higher) without it even being cranked up compared to old one being cranked up almost to the max.

Will install the old key and see how it looks like.

Was wondering has anyone had similar experience?

Sounds like normal differences of new vs. old torsion bar - they do sag over time, and 12 years is long enough for some serious sag. A "fresh" spring will definitely sit higher. Have you backed the adjusters all the way off? If it is MASSIVELY lifted even with the stock keys and adjusters backed off 100%, you might have a clocking issue with the key.

Good luck!

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
It might be the "new" thing.

Which part you refer to as adjusters? I took out sway bar and front shock so the front drops as much as it can.

On a side note:

New key vs Old key makes no difference. New Torsion Bar seems to have more play using both keys, definitely not as tight as OEM bar. Old key seems to have less play vs new key.

I think will stay with new bar + old key.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Great to see you see you found a replacement torsion bar!

As Herbie and Hondaslayer have mentioned, the new torsion bar spring will settle some and so can continue to adjust/fine-tune ride height on the torsion key hex bolt.

Were you running stock or reindexed lift torsion keys? If stock, the Dorman replacement key should have the same clocking but regardless, doesn't matter what key is used as long as you can achieve a fairly balanced ride height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles