2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
I love that roof vent - must add to my list of projects :) Did you just grab 12V from the reading lights?

Jason

Our 12V reading lights are still fed from the main battery. Forgot to mention that I swapped all lights to LED.

Fan gets juice from AUX battery and there is separate pair of wires for it. ;)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Astrid has new shoes - BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT225/75R16

I am surprised... They are quiet and ride is not stiffer than it was before. I would say, it's even better. It's nice not to worry about Cooper failing again ;)

Also I got swivel passenger seat installed - pictures to come some time in near future :)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Haven't got to other pictures yet, but here Astrid adventuring in British Columbia, Canada

I really like the new BFG TA KO2 tires, how they perform and of course how they look ;)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Here are couple more recent pictures. ;)

4npgfbR.jpg

Before Astrid got new tires, I wanted to do ball joints (both upper and lower) as few months ago when I did front diff seal I noticed that they were both shot after 30k km/19k mi. The ones installed were Moog so, I decided not to cheap out and go for AC Delco. Hopefully these last longer :)

RU8Eimp.jpg

New tires - 225/75 R16 BFG TA KO2 E-rated. Love them. Quiet and perform good on everything they have been on so far. Hopefully durability is still there. :)

yyjzGtU.jpg

New addition is also the swivel seat, that has been built by one of ExPO members. Works great and I love additional room that it gives - Thanks John!

ZSanmxz.jpg

Design is very simple, but works well. Also, seat is the same height as the original. Thanks John again! ;)

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
And some pictures from our Adventures ;)

tEjT8BL.jpg

Somewhere in Southern Chilcotins

eCjUMyY.jpg

Nemaiah valley, BC, Canada - super beautiful and quite remote place.

There are quite few more pictures on our Blog

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Realized that there are no picture of Astrid's bed/couch platform without foam mattress. So here are few - just to get idea and maybe inspiration for your own project :)

vCjJel6.jpg

Bed/Couch consists of 4 pieces of plywood that are joined together with hinges. The last piece is attached to "bed frame" and is static.

dRfUs0B.jpg

Bed is about 50" wide and 80" long.

aRv4HP9.jpg

Couch - something we really missed in first iteration. Allows us to hide away from elements if weather is bad or we just don't want to spend time outside.

Let me know if you have any questions! ;)

shawnp1971

New addition is also the swivel seat, that has been built by one of ExPO members. Works great and I love additional room that it gives - Thanks John!

ZSanmxz.jpg

Design is very simple, but works well. Also, seat is the same height as the original. Thanks John again! ;)

That swivel is just what I am looking for! Do you think John would make another one..for me?

AZAstroVanNovice

New, need advice.
I took the leap - 2004 Astro AWD (Arizona)

Thanks to Astrid's owner i am now the owner of a 2004 Astro AWD with the 3.73 gear ratio.
I am brand new, so I figure I will drive it, stare at it, and then figure out what my needs are vs wants. i.e. 2" lift is my speed with bigger tires. Things that make fire roads and other slightly more challenging surfaces, easy. I am trying not to rush into adding everything just to add it, but adding what I need as I see or anticipate the true need. Thanks for all your posts

Last edited:

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Thanks to Astrid's owner i am not the owner of a 2004 Astro AWD with the 3.73 gear ratio.
I am brand new, so I figure I will drive it, stare at it, and then figure out what my needs are vs wants. i.e. 2" lift is my speed with bigger tires. Things that make fire roads and other slightly more challenging surfaces, easy. I am trying not to rush into adding everything just to add it, but adding what I need as I see or anticipate the true need. Thanks for all your posts

Congratulations! We take the same approach to things and for us it allows to spend more time and money traveling, rather then buying another thing that we really don't need.

Happy Adventures! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier