2003 Suburban 1500 Pop Top Conversion

boll_rig

Adventurer
Duct tape seems to be working. Also adding small strips to the canvas where its getting roughed up with cloth tape to minimize damage.. Took me about 3 hours to find that post you were talking about ray with the combed pull out bed, some good ideas in the thread..

Will be making some progress on the drawer/bench this week.

Also pretty sure I decided not to go with 4.10s just yet but to try and find a new rear end that is 14bolt 6 lug with 3.73 gears and swap.

Cant find that 4.10 anywhere and probably not going to go with 33s but the wrangler 265/75/16 which is about 31.7 or so, thoughts on that tire?

Wanted to throw a question out and see whether anyone has had to replace their steering gear box and lines? mines been leaking for a year or two. Both from the line and the gear box i think.

<snip>
Wanted to throw a question out and see whether anyone has had to replace their steering gear box and lines? mines been leaking for a year or two. Both from the line and the gear box i think.

(love this thread btw, congrats on this awesome thing you have done!)
My experience is with older suburbans and trucks, but replacing the steering gear box is not a bad job.
I have had bad luck with the Re-manufactured boxes (as in they don't work as good as the old one), and suggest simply replacing the seal that is leaking.
It's often the one where the steering shaft connects to the gearbox and is not difficult to replace (and a lot cheaper)!

ejwebb

I am running a 285/70/17 on a Z-71 Tahoe with 4:10 gears and at 75 MPH it runs 2100 to 2200 RPM. I'm also running a key lift of 2.5 inches in front with a 1 inch spacer in the back. works fine.

rayra

Expedition Leader
degrease and clean that steering system really well then watch where the leak spawns from. It will almost certainly be the high pressure line from the pump to the steering box. The one with the crimped end fittings. The other hose is the no-pressure return line, typicalyl bare rubber hose with hose clamps of some type. Easy fix. The steering box itself, seal replacement kits can be found, also not terribly difficult to install / repair.

boll_rig

Adventurer
No real updates here on the truck, I got a good bit of work done on my drawer, bench section, but then I ended up having to have a third knee surgery on that same knee. 3 in 3 years.. all because of one piece of lost cartilage, who would have thought.. So I have been recovering from that and thinking about whats next. Also thanks for the gearbox leak comments, have to get to that eventually.

First I want to finish the drawer bench seat and pull out table. Going to cover it with 1 in dense foam and carpet on top, stain and poly on the sides and bottom. Anyone think I shouldn't polyurethane my friction points in the drawer, specifically the top of the drawer?

I am also figuring its time to replace my rear springs. It's what I should of done when I bought those air bags I think. They don't seem to work that well.
I already am running a 1 in spacer in the rear and wouldn't mind keeping it for even more lift, so my question is how much height do you guys think I would gain if I went with z71 springs vs H2 springs? And which ones are stiffer, the H2?

For reference, the pop top, canvas and hardware probably weighs close to 300 lbs. Maybe 250Lbs (wish I weighed it all when it was done) The bench/drawer and storage box could be another 200 lbs with gear. And sometimes I carry my dirt bike or harley on my hitch carrier. So it usually sags quite a bit, even with the airbags when the hitch carrier is on and loaded. Seems to even sag a bit when I load it up for camping as well. Add a couple people and its a guarantee.

rayra

Expedition Leader
sounds like a prime candidate for those new H2 springs. And keep the air bags for the extra oomph when fully loaded and the bike is on the hitch. Stryder just installed those springs, I just asked about the ride height change, should be an answer soon if not already.

as for poly on the friction / sliding areas I'd really avoid it. It will stick / bind, gall, really be a mess.

and man I know that knee thing, really blows. severed my left ACL in a skiing accident in '94, got a couple screws in the leg bones and a cadaver ligament to fix it, rehab was a stone cold *****. Then in '03 I fell off the ruins of an old dam and tore up my right ankle and got a spiral fracture of my right fibula. Got a long plate and 14 pins and screws in that leg, including a big screw thru my right ankle. Always hurting, one way or another. So the ski knee is my 'good' leg.

Try to stay off it, rest it. Screwing around on these vehicles customizing them is a good way to twist a knee, too.

Last edited:

boll_rig

Adventurer
Great read,

Thanks Jon, hopefully you skimmed it, theres a lot in here ha.

Ray, looks like he got about an inch overall but its hard to tell. Is my assumption that the H2 coils are stiffer than the Z71's correct? Hard question to answer but what would people guess.

Seems like the z71 coils might do the job, especially compared to my worn out stock ones. Trying to avoid the rear feeling overly stiff on bumps.

And I think you're right Ray on the poly on the friction points. I have a feeling the sides of the drawer will be okay though..

And damn these injuries, thats brutal. Hoping this won't be bugging me down the road, reason I'm spending all this time now to fix it.

Found this photo from a few months ago of a crappy mock up for height and width of drawer/bench. And potential small counter on opposite side
7K5naPg_-BOY6nyVNAWYMGVcVYooMffx5KjuCcEzxU7mTodxnS5zSWB0zLJGRIvk2iCv_zbt2XtN94ImXmTZ_5t-sq7JddJusw3RGcYHW88x7ekqQrZ864r8u8PHM3mvN2XK8zuWJ-F3vMCh_heJDEfYjSxW6AWZNpSXPafrO68r-NBb8nArWLKBZb7hS_BOh8s87ohEKts3tMYNqJQCyPHGGPVzAo1Zy4fDae3vZ4leebMfC625IJSNtbK8QVJ_ASqY5SLBUrOPWVulpUxQQgBGHo85lHeg3dBW9VXkQ7CM8doWAytLLhOko2y24Qt37hX3Mdkx3fCpirqZkNKGXkOjqOG-_w5B11-ivP-WYEdKIUQjWKuM_DXOF7B4GUPTe1edhcn6w9V6Sxt7ZI2-JPqYTfVJeZ8nmOvcYMvQw1TMpLjuzr-dMc8D3rdBfX4s3YZwQL29lbg9MhUokIO8nxBaGfhv9s5biYm7I3N-E2F8u2x32n0HpGZCfDNwbfR9esFlN-V7qsew3EGi7J-XeAfghMGvBpq3RRdI00BKoSAD5kZM5Y4wQ5VWy2bt3F8Y6pXm52IMDOuo4g4etR6mUb2vWA1xERhjfI-dggMwBskdl_lgrp_CoAdS4VSiQjqQ59_4yuNp52TchFn454YxGe2Eix8jLFjlNgCRInQwFQ=w1000-h750-no

Also heres a photo from a little camping on Switzerland Trail earlier this winter

c_vQjGVB46H-piPQ2alsg8PFzLn3wmhjSotXnXpjoGas0KphrtS46g_M9MYOoH-zvOcZ3ORYo2JLoxKDDZQfJw9c3Ui6Hub8nGSYdIzWxf18gJIEUYROUZMMh_fbAaGsZ-iw3aQGfqlAMsqdB7Yj9IONjvVulmFf4Rrbg3KV7rU26-v8fwxx4GWux5MyRCJuovWdjLs1MwtaqvEhng99_1AjkySrd1TzgJhmtdC-ziAdTlmyAs2D2KgHL6sDCnQTBtNJYRqDJo3hIMrPZHaVLPeYGuBQXAkzLAGhIVdJARHNBTVaqK4gXSQR8PmYspeiFrK6ypN5CcQ0tQ0JbA6m_YpjPkDnFmGSqWYAzTn811OovA7-IxWQpZKzTvYvvUj2dyLX0gceYf4DA01HVICeH_cOLEN3_T4tY5hA9VHgKir3Z98uMZ502Xx2qWsCt0sUMtIHPsKMqCwR5FD-EousCdUH4SrDoo95wj9XB5eQDvAelDwoXCvogP8Pcvc4aYPA-SEWzbWngC4ZktjBD5vE7kGDR8gk3L13Bhluw636cIi-idZ6BLgy0Cg-reXtEnsg_E0nSFIPdudeDvMD_HsOeJVor_8zOi37_E0iQFQPr-nn3Lui796xZGoCrFJ3n_aVfQC7UTydyEof35LCJz_S1E2xIh1Fwr8xwIrfvcasXA=w1000-h750-no

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
That pop top is so damned cool. I'm glad you pressed thru with it. Does it get much notice when you are out and about. Double-takes when folksk realize what it is? I'd imagine it would be hugely popular at surfer beaches.

Your bench couch looks like it will work fine, especially in conjunction with the headroom of the pop-up. Does your head hit the cut edge of the roof metal when you sit in it? Too I think my idea of an unfolding bench top to make a lower platform would work too, if the left side was made to complement it. Very much like the center platforms in the old school pickup / shell bedliners.

boll_rig

Adventurer
That pop top is so damned cool. I'm glad you pressed thru with it. Does it get much notice when you are out and about. Double-takes when folksk realize what it is? I'd imagine it would be hugely popular at surfer beaches.

Your bench couch looks like it will work fine, especially in conjunction with the headroom of the pop-up. Does your head hit the cut edge of the roof metal when you sit in it? Too I think my idea of an unfolding bench top to make a lower platform would work too, if the left side was made to complement it. Very much like the center platforms in the old school pickup / shell bedliners.

It is pretty funny actually. People seems to love it, they always want a tour. I actually just got word that it will be featured on a page in Foster Huntington's new vanlife book. He made the Home Is Where You Park it one a couple years ago, then went on to build that historic treehouse.

You are right as well about my head perfectly hitting the cut roof edge and headliner below. It's all padded now but I have to slouch a little to get to the window. Not a problem for anyone under 5'10". And you're spot on, the counter will make a great resting point for the bed extender, still planning on using the pull out table to slide into that space. I can build my counter depth once I have my width dialed on the pull out table.

IIRC Ray you used these "z71" springs when you swapped yours? How does the rear drop when fully loaded with cargo? And is it too stiff when not? I'm now so accustomed to my boat like suspension its going to be a jolt.

I went and re read that whole GMT800 suspension thread, but still can't get a great comparison of the H2 Springs vs Z71s.

Last edited:

boll_rig

Adventurer
And a few photos, also on Switzerland Trail, in early March. This trail which historically ran from Eldora colorado to Ward, was originally built in 1883 as a railway for gold mining and tourists. The rail washed out in 1919 and was never built back up again. The area produced immense amounts of gold (CO is the 2nd largest gold producer in the US, 1st is Nevada) and there are old mines to explore all over the place, meaning little offshoots that make for some tougher sections as the main trail is basically a rocky dirt road. Should try and get some photos of the mines up too.

Snow was a little deeper that I thought, but should have known that for March.
NIhZ-iN-H8rFMHDgZeRDZkVqlbqPoLtdRCEFFTfgQFaXcsZBcoHD3wFS-XSKCa2xhzrUhZ-efnIvhVvlc80siY8FLM9M2q_AeMmDz-AA4k4LCtg_R50xnUODET_hciBtvejDbNC8o1gfcWoCHwe1ZGaPhQyhpCG7-lH6oA3IDShanCJsADzFDePKu6j5I_u_djRsVEihxxxGP68fNsMBsjo4wfqv7tKBbgcJbVDUAHg5DY9GXc0BEV3-T66WRbsDtN1Pw_tTr33ElkHZSm9E5GwsPPmio9gNHXR1b8eAD8mvPy__XqNRh6rJVUGHGxbHeVT6SkQ9gaC6nP9rClLI8pKVwOhewQawv3mn6A9w6xqe7beCh3zpokY-ACb392A8Xu23GS3kdQBwhPaYYn7m0OeuqfoKM-d8AbbUjgyJ-MOdjqXrdsCnyBvhYKvGTRfT_wJWg_K1Jx5ocitbyBO7HMk0tzwbfPaVh0bTCMqBDSAv0sIYbOFkmzbc9zMA9K6DK1l1XYgZJ-ssb7hnfj2eKVm6hnWHTDJ_BsklOMICG_yGTtyiLN-vwShkwLsAm2ixZHH3W7QcoAhzElnoNjnNNJygNb5r-uhOIikOxY4XQ7PjI3K5uDb9f5-J3qOo5Y9tYeuchIWm_U9PAAqNbqkNtxZxitKUx6lH2VLdBFfKrg=w1000-h750-no

This little off-shoot I found got steep real quick
c8C2BWfkYp-03CHC-Esv65jTpbdWsnK54_1buZqhJwaaaPE9NTy712_R-jNTudSYeJVnk6dG_hkKkxAWB6HPzjrGY7xGrMW9Mw5xCSi9UPEBrTy51WW8oVP4UYpavMOxSuvsQaDKRIvFQc4aPhRGnizQY_aPEf7dt79MS0BES3x9L8oAQPalPkn4u0oEQyTjTGLPL8otyGygFId16wms1aueMUwOSnsxe-6Wsn2nwUCnYGHi4bQHF3ZbQS-ZnB_ztk3R52Xpob1rhkIunjKfxl86m2A36KWu68_oP5lxVpBxMsnOiK-b8Yfkc5s8zXOlxq7d0AgWmaqoKgGaLS-rPsvUKmig7tFA5qWpTP2QMmDB20ACGWSE6Uh6euHsworQSHZm_4PJ3DUo3GMCPqJy1DOxeCAhHxwdjCqyC7HaxtRs27bfTEjhk4JrimGoCMd47OFVsivy6PacIwpqemFw3XqgPnm8WnxdAaOK3zb_csdGTs3R1YotP63mFTru107KjdUdVosSt27pqFEuxjTr5gxjKw-kKjIdWA0fQVik-prIlEzvF9rGNAJ5zS8bU0CDdeDxwUbrCb37vlmr_Qe8l9DatbImuF94M4E0nM2J4_bGN68gH2W6Bq1zdzJZwIdpUtAqy1fDC7j1PV-igxMV2lHU701qBF7IHy2IxUg-bQ=w750-h1000-no

At one point the truck just sort of stopped, even with the pedal gassed, probably against that root, but my rear wouldn't even spin which was odd. Never had that happened before. I backed up a little and took a different line. Kind of scary getting out to take a photo..
S5gklCkRKK8tbSYi_NbQ4ZMs4RtmHg7BsS0S-OZOewBkJd6CPhpzdRdMwfAT5AJo7f_CerMkcffP3H4KbBD_i26GVFS2tCep29uD6rG2BTO1rAqyJ9lcxXuuv9cCEhEM6Fjm0fbfJbA9DsR5fTVS9hm_qyKJtczKPusp1ZoTXoWbGyNAMHADZ4y5TVFjKCvrG-qUoEondkOJ_VThgz1RcQ2h4-ohluy6H3lmTYCZj2KMvXUwUVlpUmASwSwhBNwnA3AeUf4M7BlsSE4ctx7U7NdzmWfkGM_por_Ic1mTP1rIGeC_KJG_HtKaVjKdeAKLxwgNYBZguG3n2_ypPT-YIPC03oF3soAPC_M4WsyJJaO68OulOXVBh9R4WyJPylcf0RqOpll619eP3kheNHPmuxgH_g8ODXY5yssrbs_ZY1wl3f-v6sn8lraXaTpJ4ehk0J6dnWyNI3VPZvFv4Ohz3-g0LoZRux2idGn3fLWv9eEOKvB6bvUi4kruCv2lxX94M8pSRUkIqGlZQ0WUKDjXfrOkVwxilkYU045zfAQRiViZGGRWut3gda1Jkl671N9wynfyaohXRnCVvIF0tRGPVjbuQaNw-pITFJtMLpHaGrxnxz8twErYKUvxLKB3oIYFmG2HT-uIFKyYjlGQXY9vt9uKUDvJthLt5iqH_PTkYw=w750-h1000-no

But it was short and made it to the top.
rrflPDFF2YAXfWfMcYtmypDlZDJJYsY5U0BVpE9PrtqAfJ_9EWM9yc8e96xSfLDMZR05GhSd1hBGx5AuPLPumTJ-KvHFACTLddwEabiZdrKngrxRZkbgowhXRxRVDILIWAQK8oenC43-Ne6diLM_Re5VZJBONA-lTq2d189ipCVGRdK2HqezE0dRwWnThe0elLwucxcILnG2pKeF1y9ypf58ll6BY4T562zyg5p5bfzb2hINMhIDgzEGyKdyamrqetulvNim5G7PbMmkFiMAMSSbeQjnidM1D5_GwXmT1U1mccNqH329jn4UPMzWuyg-XefLjVMn-jFHASLfz5BEX9PqmreZlqWrJcRrXT_BTBdNLrLbp8GNPSPeHedtChLFiKVleiUQJR_JW0TBPJemLUDfLedNTmZMKTfkJKc_D35eQhemXu202ZhRERPpIPf8b4tSf-xlaIJtMyaFJCmE6p3ZSrLZj7JWw4wdHFmDpXnz-56m2IFpXUd5e4jjyitsCEmPt6WtuYhBZvdn2rW6ZGLVEFVczcY4VPW-P-sKWR0_5kp81tcBOMV04oPS3TWNqL_gr3HjzFldf3g6ZwsUlc1WXdJMDZd1m3ryaiTUibHhbEYepyqn-HWxgsY_EJHitY0XUU7xxHgFC_8CGCKI5eQ7dPdiO1dCrzZulirLHQ=w1000-h750-no

Definitely the steepest trail I have made it up. And on the way down I rolled over one root and my footstep came down on another and snapped in half. RIP

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
No I'm still on my original Z71 springs, currently with a 2" steel spacer. When I re-did my Rough country leveling kit and went from the original 3/4" poly spacer to the 2" steel, I swapped my rear springs side for side to try to even out the cant. But they are still my original springs. They're a bit soft and droopy, with a full load of house remodeling tools back there it develops a definite squat. It's riding where I like it right now, with my 'normal' tool drawer load and roof deck, call it 300# of stuff. Just hit some scales last week, right around 6100# with a full tank.
I'm vaguely considering H2 springs myself, but probably not until next year. Also want to add some stroh? boxed trailing arms, those flimsy factory ones have to go. Put ANY vehicle weight on them at all and they bend. One advantage of the H2 springs is that they are a progressive rate spring. So they ought to ride well in normal loads and stand up better when fully loaded or having weight on the hitch. And they aren't priced much beyond the Z71, if you are considering those anyway. Should have a use report from Stryder soon.

suburbanlevel170109_zpsug4ffh9o.jpg

Talked to my neighbor yesterday about taking his camper trailer for a test drag up the Grapevine soon, to see both my trans temps and droop with it. It's around 3000# wet, so the weight alone shouldn't be any real issue. Looks like this -

e2c-jpg.655105

boll_rig

Adventurer
Sure was Chilli, fun little trail. Locker would have been nice though...

Ray thats right I had forgotten thats what you did, just swapped sides. And ya thats why the H2 springs intrigued me, the progressive rate, and after thinking about it some more I wondered if they would actually ride softer than the Z71 ones and hold up better with loads.. I read a post somewhere online saying the H2s are like an inch or two shorter (uncompressed) than the z71s springs, so I could maybe keep my spacer with the H2s.

Does anyone have the H2s currently on a Z71 model and know how the ride difference is compared to before they swapped them?

Would be interested in seeing how she handles that trailer, that thing looks comfy indeed. And by the way where did you weigh your truck, a dump?

jonb8

Adventurer
I think Ive made up my mind to run the z71 springs, I tow my jeep all over the east coast with my suburban and it runs out on the interstate really well. Not as good as my Silverado with leaf springs, I have to put more tongue weight on the Suburban or it wanders a little. I take the Suburban so I have a comfy place to sleep....LOL
14939940_1282043888504960_8146533618074650267_o-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier