2002 U500 on Ebay

There's a 2002 U500, long wheelbase with ~10K miles for $60K. No bids yet, it only has 45 hrs left on auction. It does not have CTIS or electroautomatic shifting but it has most other necessary options for an expedition camper. It's converted to run on veg oil/biodiesel with a 25 gal diesel tank for starting and stopping and the 60 gal tank is for veg/biodiesel.
$60K wouldn't yield much change if it were used to buy a loaded new F550. And the U500 has nearly twice the GVW. Without the platform a U500 weighs ~13000 lb and has almost 14000 lb in unused rear axle load capacity.

Charlie

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Nice find! Here's the link to the listing on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unim...017QQitemZ270273102451QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

There's a second auction for U500 with 16K miles, link below.
Starting price is $75,000, and this vehicle does not have
the conversion to biodiesel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/U500...008QQitemZ180285096917QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

A third 2002 U500 is listed on eBay, "buy it now" price $119K!
There are no bids on this one yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...015QQitemZ250285615888QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

outsidr

Adventurer
Yes, it was done by GFS in Springfield headquarters... A beautiful installation...:smileeek:

If anyone is seriously interested in any of the U500s feel free to PM me re the differences between them, particularly for an expedition camper.

Charlie

N8URE2

Adventurer
"Yes, it was done by GFS in Springfield headquarters... A beautiful installation..."

I agree, they did a good job on the RV I have as well. And it has worked well and save a ton of $$$ on fuel too.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
CDL requirement

Am I correct in thinking that this UNIMOG would, as currently configured, require the driver to have or obtain a Commercial Driver's License before driving it?

I know the CDL is a doable thing, and I also know that the question doesn't apply once the conversion is done if it was re-registered as, say, a motorhome, but as it sits now, the buyer would need a CDL to drive it, right?

Also, MBz made, I believe, a U500 that was 26K GVWR and do not believe that one would have needed the CDL. Is there a way, maybe during the application for new title, to derate the truck's GVWR to under the CDL requirement?

Thanks in advance for any expertise you can provide.

Offtrack

Offtrack Traveler
Very nice truck!!

To be as per the law you will need a CDL as it sits now. Most states go by the Trucks Rated GVW for the Driver. I had a truck that was rated for 31K but the truck was only about 25K when loaded (4800 Int 4x4 fire truck). My trucks license plate was only good for 26K but that still did not matter as the trucks GVW was 31K. The Vin number tells them what the truck is so you can not just tell them its under 26K.

Should you buy a truck like this I would recommend you have a CDL or a CDL driver for the transfer and just use temp tickets for the trucks license until it has been converted to a RV, Get your RV plates/registration then your free of all the DOT and state things for commercial trucks.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Offtrack said:
Very nice truck!!

To be as per the law you will need a CDL as it sits now. Most states go by the Trucks Rated GVW for the Driver. I had a truck that was rated for 31K but the truck was only about 25K when loaded (4800 Int 4x4 fire truck). My trucks license plate was only good for 26K but that still did not matter as the trucks GVW was 31K. The Vin number tells them what the truck is so you can not just tell them its under 26K.

Should you buy a truck like this I would recommend you have a CDL or a CDL driver for the transfer and just use temp tickets for the trucks license until it has been converted to a RV, Get your RV plates/registration then your free of all the DOT and state things for commercial trucks.
Thanks, Scott. Your information matched what I believed, but I appreciate having confirmation from someone knowledgable.

Offtrack

Offtrack Traveler
Mike

Happy to help, You might also check with your states department of transportation. You might be able to get a tag for it as a incomplete vehicle for transport to your builder.

Also you could get the CDL permit and as long as a fully licensed CDL driver is with you, you can drive the truck.

btggraphix

Observer
charlieaarons said:
It sold for $65380; a pretty good deal in my book. I hope they put it to a good use (like a camper!).

Charlie

That sure DOES seem like a great price when you consider just how much a loaded F350 (etc.) costs. Someday....someday. I'm hoping to buld a custom box at some point to fit on the chassis I have (Chevy 4500) that is removable like my current truck camper and then eventually sell off the Lance. Then I'd be ready to buy a more capable chassis like the U500 and only need to build a deck for it to sit on and swap it right over. It may seem silly to not have the camper fully integrated into the Chassis as the systems would have to be independant of one another but it does make it more feasible to not have to buy/build the whole thing at once and gives you more flexibility for dropping the box somewhere when the need arises.

That Unimog chassis sure is nice.

I wonder how much money you could recover if you removed the dump bed and sold it off (on the one that sold on E-bay?)

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
That was purchased by a good friend of mine in Calgary. He called last night and entered his max bid with 14 seconds left, he was quite excited and I'm looking forward to helping with the camper build.

The 2004 did not sell for $75K. It had everything one needs for a camper except maybe CTIS (not easy to add) and radiator protection (easy to add). It did have automatic shifting. Still in a good price range.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online