2001 Ford Ranger Build Thread

TheFutur

Adventurer
Looks like you could now use a skid plate and winch, then she'll be golden!

Yeah skid plate is going to happen pretty soon. Guy I bought the bumper off of had one half made so he said for $50 he would finish it off and install it so Im gonna try and find a day thats works for the both of us in the next few weeks.

As funny as it sounds to say on an overlanding site i honestly have no desire to buy a winch. I recently purchased a 4 ton come along for self recovery and I'm more than happy with that haha

Cool! I'm from UBC/east Van but currently live/work in North Van right at the base of Seymour. Didn't know we had that kind of fabrication skill for hire here in Vancouver. I really dig the shape of it, how it thins out and tucks up under the headlights, reminds me of a cross between the brutishness of an old school Warn winch bumper and the slender shape of a Thuren Dodge bumper..

15575177_large.jpg

11117915_802671463161269_3853768203039051758_n.jpg

I totally see what you mean, wonder if the guy who built it had a bit of inspiration from these bumpers haha

And I live out in North Delta, go to school in New West and Coquitlam (Douglas College), and work all over the GVRD installing windows bahaha

frojoe

Adventurer
Cool. Maybe we'll meet up on the trails at some point! Are you a member of any local off road groups? 4wd Association of BC? Last thread derail post, I promise.

I think I've seen enough neat stuff in your thread to inspire me to start a build thread of my own for all the things I've fabricated for my truck. If you need any machining or welding (mild steel, stainless, aluminum) or any metalwork in general, let me know.. I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and a musclecar/offroad designer & fabricator by hobby.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Cool. Maybe we'll meet up on the trails at some point! Are you a member of any local off road groups? 4wd Association of BC? Last thread derail post, I promise.

I think I've seen enough neat stuff in your thread to inspire me to start a build thread of my own for all the things I've fabricated for my truck. If you need any machining or welding (mild steel, stainless, aluminum) or any metalwork in general, let me know.. I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and a musclecar/offroad designer & fabricator by hobby.

I'm with the 4wdabc and in the BC Ranger Club (mostly a facebook club be we do run some trails with a few members once or twice a month)

And thanks for the offer ill for sure get in contact with you if I ever need anyother fab work out of my skill level done.

My brother has is BA from UBC in mechanical engineering, he went on to do a masters in naval architecture and is working down in Granville Island now. Not gonna lie I abuse his knowledge on a weekly basis asking him to do stress calculations on all the crazy projects I dream up bahaha

frojoe

Adventurer
Sweet, sounds good! It appears it's always good to know an engineer.. as everyone is always asking me design opinions and how to make stuff hehe.

cwj1994

Chris
Front Bumper

You should rhino line your fender flares, front bumper, and roof rack. It is durable and has a nice black color. Would look great to touch everything up.

TheFutur

Adventurer
You should rhino line your fender flares, front bumper, and roof rack. It is durable and has a nice black color. Would look great to touch everything up.

Yeah that would look good. Is there a DIY rhino liner or is it only professionally sprayed on? And if there is DIY is it roll or spray on?

Gonna have to start budgeting for it haha

cwj1994

Chris
It is roll on. It did it on my fender flares and front bumper. Its been on for 4 years of trail running and Wisconsin salt and still looks great. Its about $50 for a gallon which would be more than enough for you. Love the truck man.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Ill have to track some down locally. Bumper should be done by Saturday (welding a bit more onto it) so after that it should be good to rhino line baha

And the rack really need some love, got some rust building up in places that i am gonna deal with in the spring

TheFutur

Adventurer
Not gonna be able to do all this work for a couple of weeks but I finally have all my parts! Excited to put everything in!

4xeCf5H.jpg

On a side note I replaced my timing chain tensioners this past week, in the process my thermostat housing broke, the new one didnt use the same sensors that my old one did so now im waiting on two sensors..
Truck will be back on the road tuesday night!

TheFutur

Adventurer
Been a hell of a long time since I've posted any updates... Anyways I got all my front end parts in over a few days, not many pictures but here is what I got.

GSM6D49.jpg

ttjbaZM.jpg

^ The real work begins

BtlELdj.jpg

^ Found out why my hub sounded like a hurricane...

qZDXbG5.jpg

^ Pickle fork, heat, and the weight of the truck made short effort free work of the lower ball joints.

q5D01Jx.jpg

^ Halfway done coffee break in my ford mug :coffeedrink:

Didn't have any pictures of the completed job so I just went out and took two.

dXIQPz2.jpg

^ Passengers side all complete, nice new ball joints, upper control arm, inner/outter tie rod, etc.

aPn49LA.jpg

^ Drivers side, same parts replaced.

Truck handles much better now! Well worth all the work, total list of work done is: upper control arms and ball joints (both sides), lower ball joints (both sides), inner/outer tie rod end (both sides), wheel hub assemblies (both sides), front differential fluid change (dropped the axle and did a proper inspection), front pinion seal replaced, both outer axle seals replaced, as well as replaced the pinion due to wear. Think that's the complete list.

On a side note I also received a new camera in the mail yesterday after I broke my gopro (my own stupidity, not the camera failing...) so I put together this little test footage:

Films in up to 4k at 30fps but I will be doing most of my filming in 1080p at 60 or 120 fps. I can also film at 720p at 240 fps so expect some pretty epic slow motion footage from me in the future!

And I ordered another part for my truck but I'll keep that a surprise until I've installed it. If you follow me on Instagram you probably already know what it is though...

frojoe

Adventurer
Cool camera footage.. I always find it fun to watch various suspension systems put thru the works.. so nerdy, I know!

TheFutur

Adventurer
Cool camera footage.. I always find it fun to watch various suspension systems put thru the works.. so nerdy, I know!

Me too! Haha

Excited to get some good footage of my suspension and what not on a trail instead of just going over a speed bump haha

TheFutur

Adventurer
Okay got another update!

Ordered an RCI front skid plate a while ago and installed it a week or so ago. Protects the very exposed radiator so it's giving me some peace of mind on the trail.

teavGAp.jpg

l2gKc9q.jpg

eK7Ji9V.jpg

fgTEIKD.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94