2001 Ford Ranger Build Thread

TheFutur

Adventurer
Truck is looking good, nice call on the seat swap for the pup.

Thanks! Gonna be taking her camping once the weather warms up after winter. Still need to make a cushion that extends out and fills in the gap to make more room for her. Already built a base, just have to wrap the foam with some somewhat matching upholstery.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Back with a few more updates.

Installed my rigid lights quite some time ago and have had the chance to use them on the trail. They are amazing:

HCuYiDP.jpg

7965PSf.jpg

Installed new u-joints as mine were toast:

WXZDQpQ.webp

Went on a local ford ranger snow wheeling trip:

BwXlASv.webp

f7oz1mK.webp

5NQ6gge.webp

^ my buddy was fish tailing when his tire gor caught on something under the snow and came right off the rim, had it back on in about 10 minutes. First time doing it too haha

gwittman

Adventurer
I saw in one shot that you had chains on the rear. I have never had to run chains on a 4WD vehicle but always thought if I did I would put them on the front. Have you ever run them on the front? I have heard good reasons for running them on either end. Do you have a specific reason for running them on the rear, over on the front?

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Chains on the front tire might not clear the suspension arms, depending on design and wheel offset. I can't run them on my new truck - the upper ball joint is too close to the tire.

I don't have a 3rd gen Ranger anymore to go look at, so I am just guessing...

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Chains on the front tire might not clear the suspension arms, depending on design and wheel offset. I can't run them on my new truck - the upper ball joint is too close to the tire.

I don't have a 3rd gen Ranger anymore to go look at, so I am just guessing...

Being stock rims on a slightly wider tire I'd imagine he's getting close..not sure how the 2wd to 4wd compare with that though

TheFutur

Adventurer
I have clearance on everything but the sway bar for chains up front. Rub on full lock without chains, not even gonna attempt it with chains.

Id love to run them both front and rear but ill take what I can get. They work amazing on packed icey snow but dig too much in deep snow, would have done better aired down I think...

TheFutur

Adventurer
New bumper! Next on the list is a matching skid plate to protect my radiator and tranmission cooler lines!

utBUnp2.jpg

SSkqmoX.jpg

PacwQpR.jpg

Q8sLtRM.jpg

Last edited:

frojoe

Adventurer
Looks awesome! Great contrast to the standard "swollen bottom lip" fabricated bumpers you see on fullsize trucks. What brand is it?

TheFutur

Adventurer
Looks awesome! Great contrast to the standard "swollen bottom lip" fabricated bumpers you see on fullsize trucks. What brand is it?

It was actually made by a local guy for his ranger. He was selling his truck so I offered to swap bumpers plus cash on my end and he accepted.

Noticed you're from (or live near) Vancouver as well, the guy who made it is out in Chilliwack.

frojoe

Adventurer
It was actually made by a local guy for his ranger. He was selling his truck so I offered to swap bumpers plus cash on my end and he accepted.

Noticed you're from (or live near) Vancouver as well, the guy who made it is out in Chilliwack.

Cool! I'm from UBC/east Van but currently live/work in North Van right at the base of Seymour. Didn't know we had that kind of fabrication skill for hire here in Vancouver. I really dig the shape of it, how it thins out and tucks up under the headlights, reminds me of a cross between the brutishness of an old school Warn winch bumper and the slender shape of a Thuren Dodge bumper..

15575177_large.jpg

11117915_802671463161269_3853768203039051758_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles