2000 XJ Project

jordan004

I am in the planning stages from a stock XJ to an expedition style ride. I am interested in comments suggestions etc on placing the spare tire on back verses the top. Obviously I would have less storage if i put the tire on top.. but other than that... what type things regarding the spare tire to do i need to consider..
thanks

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
With putting the spare tire on top, which presumably will be larger that stock will cause a decrease in MPG and could create a safety hazard when you need to get it down to change a flat.... Keep it low, either inside or on a carrier.

jordan004

Good call on both... I have considered loss of space, gas mileage and the center of gravity issue. Both of the concerns crossed my mind, the flat tire as well... I was looking at the smittybuilt hitch that has the tire mount you can add to the bumper.. then gas cans etc.. but center of gravity comes into the mix. I must admit we are just getting into the transformation and have not really looked at the trail difficulty etc. I like it on back but it just looks huge on the back... but the idea of trying to get a tire down is troubling as well - I see lots of both and not real sure on what to do.. obviously cheaper to put it on top..

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I have a 2000 XJ with a roof rack and the last place I would put my 31" spare is on the roof. If you have a lift of any consequence, you can't reach it, then you have a 70+# tire to try to get up and down. I have my spare currently lying down inside my back end with a deck over it. I have a bumper built out of 2"x4"x.25" rectangular tube which I am in the process of modifying to accept a spare tire / Jerry can mount. I had a swing down spare rack that went inside the receiver hitch and it was a big PITA to the point where I would do about anything to avoid having to open my rear hatch. Only way I'd consider another is if it had some sort of hydraulic shock to help raise and lower it.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!

JTM

With a simple hammer you can mount a 31" tire in stock location for the spare. But you get more stability with the spare laying down in the hatch.

After wheeling the same XJ for nearly 12 years there are definitely some things I would do differently if I was to start over. If I bought another XJ I'd take care of the chassis first by installing stiffeners, then a steering box brace, and finally sliders before taking it offroad.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I had the 31" tire inside on a modified stock mount... took up WAY too much space for my liking. I installed a Detours USA Tailbone rear tire carrier, and slightly modified it to support a gas can.

Great product, ties into the frame well and reinforces the whole rear of the Jeep. Install pics here...

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Gman_vimb/library/Jeep Cherokee/Detours Tailbone?sort=3&page=1

JCR also makes a very nice full bumper setup with tire carrier.

That is a really good album for someone looking at the Tailbone. One thing to consider with it is the lead time on Detours building it. Last time I checked it was a built to order thing, so it takes a little while to get it.

JCR is have a pretty good sale on their rear bumpers and tire carriers right now until Thanksgiving. With the bumper part you get free LED cubes and with the tire carrier you get a free 48" hi-lift jack.

V1GiLaNtE

^ I would wait until Black Friday. Usually they do something along the lines of 15-20% off. I think I'll be picking up their gas tank skid this year.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
I WANT THE DETOURS!!! Can I have yours? I like the look of his stuff because it's designed to keep that stock look. :bowdown:

F40

Adventurer
JCR or C4x4 rear bumper with tire carrier. I have the C4x4 bumper, and had cracks develop at the bolt holes. I ended up plating them, which I would do right off the bat. Rear recovery points are a must.
3C39CD66-F9B0-4934-AA43-1AD3A11F9C76_zpssi6btpcu.jpg

D9ADA96F-5977-4684-AF03-41BB6A166E65_zpsfprdlqkx.jpg

Here you can see where the nut strips attach to the bumper with only one bolt per side to the bumper, and the plates I welded in, before paint.
5D585E68-7DE9-4DA9-87A5-A2F9E9B04D80_zpsvtfsxpfp.jpg

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
Too many tire carries have sheared off the pin due to torques stress over period of time. Personaly i like the smitty bilt bumper 76851. better pin, all the goodies to mount. Stout box and mount. Thats what im asking santa for. I like the tail bone but i have issue putting that kind of load on the lower cross member and those 8 tiny reindeer, i mean bolts.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Too many tire carries have sheared off the pin due to torques stress over period of time. Personaly i like the smitty bilt bumper 76851. better pin, all the goodies to mount. Stout box and mount. Thats what im asking santa for. I like the tail bone but i have issue putting that kind of load on the lower cross member and those 8 tiny reindeer, i mean bolts.

Tailbone is held on by a whole lot more than the stock 8 bolts and is well supported across and behind the crossmember. It also ties into the frame rail, and in my case(or anyone with a hitch) the rear most hitch bolt. It is sandwiched, and there are backing plates all over. It takes a while to install one of these, and it is solid. I have gone over the bolts a couple of times since install and it is toight like a toiger.

http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone_install.php

tailbone_install09.jpg

tailbone_install11.jpg

Knowing what I know now... I would probably go for the JCR setup. Probably a lot easier to install, but I really like the stock look with the tire carrier. I get a LOT of people asking about it and where I got it...or if I made it.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Come off the nut strips for your reciver hitch with 2 in wide 1/4 plate and tie onto a plate in stock location. Once that's fabbed up build what you want from a solid platform. I also went across the bottom from mount to mount with thin angle to reduce body flex. These things handle better when you stiffen the front and rear anyway.image.jpg

iluv83vettes

Adventurer

I question your "Too many ... have sheared off ... "

The have never heard of a JCR spindle or the Detours spindle breaking. The only ones I have heard of breaking are people who made their own using a trailer spindle.

As far as the Smittybilt bumper, I helped my brother in law install one on his TJ and if the XJ one is anything like that one, I would pay more to get one that actually fits well.

mudbutt

Explorer
I have the Detours Tailbone and it's awesome! Unfortunately I don't think they are building them anymore. All in all, I think the best option for spare tire storage, as far as functionality and convenience, on any XJ is a swing out off the rear bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior