2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
It's light bar time!

The first modification I made to the Suburban a few weeks after I purchased it was a 36" light bar in the grill. It has served me extremely well, however when I went to the Avalanche front end, the new grill was way too pretty to get chopped up and keep the 36" light bar. So it came out.

When I installed the Raptor bumper, it came with a 24" light bar, I kept it in the bumper for looks even though it was never hooked up, since my 36" was plenty bright for all my needs. For the last year I have been driving around New England without a light bar back up and it's time for that to change.

rrPddUM.jpg

Two 12" light bars on top and 24" light bar on the bottom. These were all laying around in my garage and cost me nothing to acquire them in the first place.

dyLgoK1.jpg

Rough mock up. 24" bar will go in the original location in the Raptor bumper that it was in to begin with. There is nothing behind it so it will not decrease air flow to radiator, condenser or tranny cooler. Two 12" light sill be on the sides of the truck to provide more of side illumination that headlights or center light bar does not reach. In a way they will be used as off-road specific lights. Should also sufficiently blind any wildlife that wants to jump in front of me. Yes I know the side lights are upside down, they will go in right side up.

9a0hoci.jpg

24" light mounted up perfectly the the pre-existing holes. Next step will be to hook up the wiring and aim the light so it's functional.

PKNd8SM.jpg

When I swapped out the Avi front end, these ugly plastic tabs were the attachment points for cladded bumper. I am using the Raptor bumper which is 4" shorter than the Avi bumper. I will not be using the Avi bumper so it is time to clean up these tabs.

Pod5xD6.jpg

All cleaned up, at least much better looking than before. I think I want a cleaner look but will give this a few months to see how much it bothers me, or until I pull the bumper off.

hQb4pBR.jpg

Drivers side light needed some plastic and sheet metal cleaning up to fit in. I am not too happy with the angle of the light, wanted it to be aimed more forward than to the side. Unfortunately the curvature of the bumper itself will dictate the direction the 12" light will point for now.

b1EXwOY.jpg

Another view of the 12" light. Due to the bumper configuration I have to keep both mounting points on one side.

It was 19 degrees outside and I wimped out and called it a day. I use this bumper to regularly bump into trees and push vehicles around the yard. At one point I bent the passenger side of the bumper and semi corrected it. There is not enough clearance on passenger side for 12" light. I will have to pull the bumper off and gently massage the passenger side of the bumper back into correct shape. To get an extra 1/2" to clear the light.

Once all the lights are bolted up, I will run wires and figure out where to put the switches and what kind of switches to get. I want a clean and simple look in an easy to reach place.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Taking a break from working on the Sub and decided to play around in the back yard.

Think this one is about 55ft tall. I was expecting it to snap at the tow strap but I accidentally pulled the whole thing out with the roots. Made enough firewood to roast marshmallows all weekend!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Projects, projects, projects!!!

Since I went to Avalanche hood, fenders and doors, my Suburban looks kinda ghetto with different color body panels. Bought a couple cans of Rustoleum gloss enamel black spray paint and decided to see how much damage I can do to my spare tailgate.

s6koyl3.jpg

Spare tailgate from a Tahoe, I sanded down the areas where paint was chipped and peeling, removed plastic trim, rear wiper, all stickers and door handle.

z5Q46k7.jpg

Looks horrible and felt so wrong sanding down more or less decent factory paint. Lift gate is masked, cleaned and ready to paint.

Timelapse of the first coat. I ended up doing one more coat, and one coat on the sides and inside of lift gate. Two coats on main surface was enough paint for my liking and this also took an entire can of spray paint.

vTYJ2x3.jpg

Two coats. I have not spray painted a car body for about 20 years. This looks way better than my first attempt.

8zxtfhp.jpg

From more than 5 ft away this $5 paint job looks phenomenal. It will look great once the truck is covered in a coat of dust too.

xSc2LOC.jpg

There is a little bit of orange peeling, more dust than I anticipated, but it filled in the hole where the old paint was peeling rather well. Overall I am extremely happy with how far $5 of spray paint got me here.

Next step is 48 hours of drying, re-installing weather stripping, plastic trim, black door handle from my truck and then attempting to bolt it up to the Sub without dropping it too many times.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Lift gate is finally done!

EVkedj4.jpg

Flipped the liftgate over and sprayed the top and edges with one more coat. Got a whole bunch of overspray on the top of the frame which will be covered by the glass or be 7ft up in the air and out of sight. Now I know why everyone hangs stuff to paint.

IaOpyOR.jpg

Time to pull the old lift gate and remove old wiper and door handle.

fhOYdRL.jpg

I didn't have to pull the glass hatch off but I did just to have more room and make everything easier on me.

O9xtUmZ.jpg

Glass hangs on same hinge as lift gate but it's technically independent of the liftgate.

WxYKaxT.jpg

Two retaining C-clips hold the glass from sliding off the hinge.

HW1Km6r.jpg

Pulled rubber dust seal off, two pinch clips and wiring harness came out of sheet metal. Then unplugged it from the truck wiring harness. I do not have a rear washer line setup under the hood so I cut the body line and zip tied it to the wiring pigtail.

u8EuMt0.jpg

I do not recommend pulling the lift gate out by yourself, definitely 1-2 more people would be extremely helpful, however just like the doors, where ever there is a will, there is a way. It can be done with one person and a 2x4.

IHvYMvJ.jpg

Liftgate is off. You can see my futon mattress in the back. Maybe one day I'll clean out the Sub and do a walk around video.

D5ciNdC.jpg

Old liftgate. Pulled my wiper off and changed door handle. I like the black door handles and mirrors all the way around the truck better than body color.

wKbxEnN.jpg

BAM! New hatch went on easy with the help of that 2x4 and struts. It took a few minutes to align the locking latches and liftgate to properly line up with the body. Once again I do not recommend trying this yourself but it is possible.

aB3GPIb.jpg

Wiper is on. All struts are attached and secured. Liftgate locking mechanism is is working properly as well as the glass opening button.

A2dysFc.jpg

Can't really tell in this lighting but overall rustoleum paint job matches the other body panels well. I am glad that i had a spare liftgate to be able to spray it off the Sub and install it at my convenience.

5g1qSqe.jpg

Now that the liftgate is painted and installed I am ready for the last piece: Avalanche lower lift gate trim piece. I will use my other liftgate to figure out how to trim it so it will go onto the black tailgate with a cutout for door handle and look more of less factory.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Picked up another side project: Jeep Liberty pickup. Took it out to play in the back yard and see how far it could make it just to get a baseline, got stuck, had to get my Suburban to pull it out.

Couldn't pull the Jeep off the log so I pulled the log out from under the Jeep.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Geesh man. I’m all for having fun. But having a 5 year old steer alone during the recovery made me cringe. Anything can happen during a recovery. Stay safe.

phsycle,

I completely understand where you are coming from, however I would not call that a recovery. All safety measures were taken to make sure that nothing would happen during this recovery. Kids had a blast and will continue to do so with utmost safety in mind.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Slap some cheap spacers on it , cut for a narrow 33s, weld the rear end and run it!

toastyjosh,

Hahahaha, thats exactly what I plan on doing with the Liberty, kinda. In the process of gutting it from B pillar back, 2" strut/coil spacer lift, 33" farm tractor tires (narrow) some gentle unibody massaging with a 10lb sledge to fit the tires, Lincoln rear locker and my favorite part, cutting the back off and turning it into a pickup. Kinda like a poor man's side-by-side to be used for yard work and occasionally trail riding.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
toastyjosh,

Hahahaha, thats exactly what I plan on doing with the Liberty, kinda. In the process of gutting it from B pillar back, 2" strut/coil spacer lift, 33" farm tractor tires (narrow) some gentle unibody massaging with a 10lb sledge to fit the tires, Lincoln rear locker and my favorite part, cutting the back off and turning it into a pickup. Kinda like a poor man's side-by-side to be used for yard work and occasionally trail riding.

Awesome!!!!! Cant wait to see it.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
20+ inches of snow means play time, I mean plow the driveway, get the plow truck stuck and take Suburban out to play, I mean pull the plow truck out, couple times.

j48jgdt.jpg

Can't really tell but that's after 4 passes on the driveway with the plow truck.

6OD74h2.jpg

Drove through approximately 22" of fresh New England snow with no problems. This was a weird snow storm with approximately 7.5% snow density reminds me of Utah snow, not the 16% density heavy stuff we had last week.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
22" of fresh snow. Yesterday was all work, well getting the plow truck stuck a couple times and playing in the Sub, today was play time in the Jeep Liberty and getting stuck a couple times and Suburban came to the rescue.

Pulled the Jeep out twice, pulled plow truck out once (this time starter is fried) and pushed the plow truck back.

After spending 4 years blasting through the Southwest desert I never imagined that my Sub would take on a role of a yard tractor rescue all daily driver.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I cut the roof off my Liberty, one step closer to becoming a pickup.

That also means that it will be out in the yard playing in the snow, getting stuck and waiting for my Sub to rescue it again!

I am also actively pissing off a couple moderators on the Jeep Liberty forum as I am building this. Apparently they missed the whole point that I already have an extremely capable overland 4x4 Suburban and the Jeep will be my poor man's side-by-side yard truck on tractor tires!!!

https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/project-2004-liberty-pickup.76169/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94