2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Then you must not speed nearly as often as I do. What is centered in the road far behind me is of great interest to me.

If all 3 of your mirrors are properly aimed there really isn't much of a blind spot other than right up close. I guess we drive fast enough here in Texas that cops don't try to run you down from behind. The flow of traffic is pretty much 80+ everywhere except the narrow 2 tracks where it's 70-75. It's up ahead where you need to pay attention. Everything behind me I've already seen...

Overlandtowater

If all 3 of your mirrors are properly aimed there really isn't much of a blind spot other than right up close. I guess we drive fast enough here in Texas that cops don't try to run you down from behind. The flow of traffic is pretty much 80+ everywhere except the narrow 2 tracks where it's 70-75. It's up ahead where you need to pay attention. Everything behind me I've already seen...
That's one think I like about Texas....75 on two lanes where in Missouri its 55......Houston and Dallas at 95 was sketchy to me but I did it with everyone else. LOL

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
All you guys bragging about your speed demon escapades make me jealous. My tires are rated to 81mph, and that's scary with my suspension setup. Usually find my happy place is around 60mph, but can bump it up to 70 if I absolutely have to.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
New England weather is fun.

8" snow two days ago, 1/4" ice yesterday and nearly 50 degrees today.

6iOcj8f.jpg

Never got above 10F yesterday.

rZZUgUq.jpg

Sheet of ice on the hood started sliding off a little.

Once it warms up a little I can finally get the bumper on.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

rho

Lost again
Gotcha. We've run ours with it and with out it. It works REALLY well off road with the sway bar off, so much that I'm trying to figure out how to make some disconnects for it.
We ran it swaybar less for a few months on the road and it did really well and had a lot less body roll then we were expecting because of the high spring rate in the springs that are in there. Our truck is also a lot lighter and a wider track (yay spindles) than your 'burb too which I'm sure helped it behave on the road.

And before I forget, I need to hit you up to see if I can get you to take some measurements for me on either your truck or on your avi carcass of the front lower control arms and where the shock mount/frame bushings are on those in relation to the ball joint and stuff.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Gotcha. We've run ours with it and with out it. It works REALLY well off road with the sway bar off, so much that I'm trying to figure out how to make some disconnects for it.
We ran it swaybar less for a few months on the road and it did really well and had a lot less body roll then we were expecting because of the high spring rate in the springs that are in there. Our truck is also a lot lighter and a wider track (yay spindles) than your 'burb too which I'm sure helped it behave on the road.

And before I forget, I need to hit you up to see if I can get you to take some measurements for me on either your truck or on your avi carcass of the front lower control arms and where the shock mount/frame bushings are on those in relation to the ball joint and stuff.

rho,

Yeah, I ran the coilovers without a front sway bar for almost a year and the Sub ran great off road. I did put the front sway bar back on earlier last summer because I spend way more time on pavement and it handles a little better with the sway bars attached.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Typically the best approach is to tune the primary springs for ride comfort (usually means softer with preload to get ride height) when off road usage is involved. Then use the sway bar to keep road manners acceptable. There were some 3-4 different sway bar diameters avaialble, so you have some difference choices if you want to tune the body roll control.

GM uses a progressive bumpstop, which acts like a stiff spring. This helps keep body roll reasonable, even without a sway bar, if you are running near the normal ride height (small gap between the bumpstop and the LCA).

I think sumo springs may offer an extended foam/rubber bumpstop for the GM applications.

I have not seen any GMT 800 disconnects that I liked. So I would be interested if someone comes up with something. Given that the upper eyelet is roughly parallel to the ground, It should be possible to machine a hardened bolt to accept a small pin, and remove the whole downlink from one/both sides. There would be a bit more play in the linkage, so response rate wouldn't be as fast.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Typically the best approach is to tune the primary springs for ride comfort (usually means softer with preload to get ride height) when off road usage is involved. Then use the sway bar to keep road manners acceptable. There were some 3-4 different sway bar diameters avaialble, so you have some difference choices if you want to tune the body roll control.

GM uses a progressive bumpstop, which acts like a stiff spring. This helps keep body roll reasonable, even without a sway bar, if you are running near the normal ride height (small gap between the bumpstop and the LCA).

I think sumo springs may offer an extended foam/rubber bumpstop for the GM applications.

I have not seen any GMT 800 disconnects that I liked. So I would be interested if someone comes up with something. Given that the upper eyelet is roughly parallel to the ground, It should be possible to machine a hardened bolt to accept a small pin, and remove the whole downlink from one/both sides. There would be a bit more play in the linkage, so response rate wouldn't be as fast.

luthj,

Thank you, I always look forward to your insightful comments! I am not sure what diameter sway bars I have on my Sub but I am extremely happy with how the truck is set up for both on and off road.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Day trip: Assateague Island National Seashore

Assateague Island has been on my to do list for years, especially driving on the beach part. However when I lived in Maryland I did not have a 4x4 that I trusted to safely navigate the sand, and when I moved out west I was too far from Assateague. Now I finally had a chance to visit the beach and drive it's entirety in 2wd.

WoWyuMc.jpg

Assateague Island has three sections: MD side state park, MD side National Park and VA side National Park. We explored MD side National Park portion.

PHSEbuP.jpg

Ponies swam to shore when a Colonial exploration ship was wrecked on a sand bar or reef just off shore. Ponies have lived on the island since then.

X4MvMN0.jpg

We made it to the gate but not without an adventure. I run aluminum valve stems which are perfect for west coast sand and do not dry rot like the rubber ones out in the desert. However New England salt corroded the aluminum so much that I snapped one of the valve stems while taking the cap off and had to change the tire, no big deal other than the fact that I also had to do a rotation because I have a 35" donut spare and need two same size tires in the rear for the Detroit locker to keep me on the road.

130mN1S.jpg

If you look close you can see that the valvestem is still in the cap, yep it sheered right off. I have 2 spare valve stems in my tool box and can break the bead, pop the new one in and re-seat the tire, however it was a better choice to drive 10 minutes to a nearest tire shop that changed all 4 valve stems to rubber in less time than I would have changed one.

ONQcVRx.jpg

Just like all my other adventures we drove to the end of the beach to this lovely MD/VA border fence and marked all areas of interest to explore on the way back.

puchAjO.jpg

Always like the new updated look of the Sub, and it's still growing on me.

WTi5qV9.jpg

Spotted an abandoned building near state line.

9v6i53N.jpg

Walked to the building but did not go inside. It would be great to find some history about this building. Could not ask the rangers on the way out because we left after the visitor center closed.

vRKo7tN.jpg

Pink pile entrance is very classy.

O1tDUmB.jpg

Sub just hanging out on the beach.

NBafKgw.jpg

Definitely need to finish the Zebra and make it all one color soon.

uIPQvA7.jpg

Boys found a couple horseshoe crabs.

4UGZ2ok.jpg

All the campgrounds are hike in or paddle in only and are not vehicle accessible.

vFGTkdF.jpg

Found a Sand Tiger Shark that some fisherman caught, tried to release but it died and washed ashore. It's about 5-6ft long.

gNxd5Uu.jpg

Patagonia MT imprint in the sand. Patagonia MTs are at 18psi and despite soft and deep sand in spots I never had to use 4x4. So pretty. Only the Dune Grappler looks better.

iLdJXsi.jpg

Found a turtle also.

5SxtNAB.jpg

It's not a common sight to see a turtle this large wash op on shore.

cmdKAuv.jpg

Shell is approximately 2ft wide and 3ft long. Looks like it took some abuse.

e0XRmV3.jpg

One of the two Bay Access roads on which traverse the island.

L8qBltV.jpg

This is the designated overnight vehicle parking area, too bad my Sub is not considered self contained by the NPS rules.

Overall a great trip especially when I get a chance to practice winching down my spare tire and and fixing broken valve stems. Sub is overbuilt for this. There were some areas where sand was very soft and fluffy, 10-12" deep. However I drove the entire beach in 2wd with absolutely no problems. 4x4 was a great backup to have. Kids had a blast as usual. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to do a timelapse video for the drive because I left the camera at home, will try to make up next time.

paroxysym

Adventurer
hope you had a nice through MD and to Assateague island. i will say it is a great place to visit on the eastern shore, Ocean City isnt what it used to be but Assateague continues to be a great stop.

'Burb looks great, the Avi swap turned out great. i will say, those flares could be removed- maybe for something more factory looking/fiberglass fender maybe to give it a more finished look? what color you thinking of going with when the time comes? just wrap the back of the burban black to match the front?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
$90...….looks fun though.

dirtdobberoffroad,

I have family in that area and visit them pretty much once a month for one reason or another. $90 is absolutely absurd considering how much I paid to access BLM land out west. It's also for one year and I plan on going back every time I'm in the area which should be at least 7-10 more times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online