2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Front end is finally done!

NdsaTsc.jpg

Still can't believe it all came together.

IvbKq43.jpg

This makes me smile.

bvh7xpJ.jpg

Looks like a Suburban from this side.

m8l2nHX.jpg

Little bit of sunshine to show off the New England rust.

CdyycWG.jpg

Pretty good fit and finish so far. Next step will be to add the Avi cladding.

3QyszsY.jpg

This is the gap between the bumper and grill that will need to be filled in with trimmed Avi cladding.

wGrNVVq.jpg

Another angle of the gap. It's much smaller than it was with the old grill.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Dude. Wow, that looks pretty darn good. Your Raptor bumper looks almost like it came with that front clip, maybe just trim back the ends a bit and the lines will all match up. Any plans to paint the conversion to match the body or leave as is?

I admire your creativity. I don't think an Avy would ever have crossed my mind as a donor body. ?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Dude. Wow, that looks pretty darn good. Your Raptor bumper looks almost like it came with that front clip, maybe just trim back the ends a bit and the lines will all match up. Any plans to paint the conversion to match the body or leave as is?

I admire your creativity. I don't think an Avy would ever have crossed my mind as a donor body. ?

02TahoeMD,

Thank you, I think the Raptor bumper looks really good too, need to trim and adjust a little bit when I have the time but I think I can make it look near factory clean eventually.

When I put the Avi doors on, I will look like a zebra, cool for a day or two but not my cup of tea. I will eventually get it all one color, not sure if it will be a vinyl wrap or $100 rustolium paint roller job, might get to it in the spring.

I never considered an Avi as a donor truck either, but after 6 months of searching for a Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, I could not find one in my color for under $1,000 that was not completely rusted out. This Avi is not perfect but I could not resist the price.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Front end is finally done!

NdsaTsc.jpg

Still can't believe it all came together.

IvbKq43.jpg

This makes me smile.

bvh7xpJ.jpg

Looks like a Suburban from this side.

m8l2nHX.jpg

Little bit of sunshine to show off the New England rust.

CdyycWG.jpg

Pretty good fit and finish so far. Next step will be to add the Avi cladding.

3QyszsY.jpg

This is the gap between the bumper and grill that will need to be filled in with trimmed Avi cladding.

wGrNVVq.jpg

Another angle of the gap. It's much smaller than it was with the old grill.

Be careful using the avi cladding, when it's really cold out that cladding is kinda fragile especially being as old as it is, branches can do a lot of damage to that stuff.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Be careful using the avi cladding, when it's really cold out that cladding is kinda fragile especially being as old as it is, branches can do a lot of damage to that stuff.

NevadaLover,

I definitely did not think of that, grrr. Very good point. I am still going to swap the doors out with Avi cladded doors, but will keep my doors in the garage in case I need to revert.

Thank you for the advice.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Breaking in the front end road trip.

c1d980i.jpg

Drove down to DC area and explored Great Falls of the Potomac river with the kids. We started on Maryland side.

YjU9yEa.jpg

Kids really liked the bridges to Olmstead Island falls overllook.

XTRFjBb.jpg

Panoramic view of the falls from Maryland side.

G2VtoHl.jpg

Couple tourist helicopters flew overhead as well as a few Blackhawks.

LlcAAJs.jpg

Of course the Blackhawks were the highlight of the falls for the boys!

ppYXMTG.jpg

On the way to Virginia side of the falls we stopped by Gravelly Point park, which was the closest I wanted to come to DC.

Hs2SuA6.jpg

Kids spent nearly an hour watching the constant flow of airplanes taking off.

5BYaSDj.jpg

Planes are about 300ft overhead on take off and a little closer on landing approach.

fFEYbZ6.jpg

Just a short drive from the airport was the Virginia side of the Great Falls of Potomac River.

JLfbeWJ.jpg

On far right side of hte picture there is someone in a gray sweatshirt. That is the Maryland side overlook where we just were earlier.

lfYp911.jpg

Water flow is low which reveals the falls. It is difficult to believe that every few years water rises up to the overlook where I am standing completely hiding the falls under over 100 feet of water.

b2qZzZU.jpg

Next sop was to visit historic Whites Ferry.

4DqHdT9.jpg

It was much more enjoyable to take the ferry across the river than fighting DC area traffic.

A2NckNZ.jpg

Wheel house. This is also where the motor and pulley system is housed that moves the ferry back and forth along the two steel cables that stretch from bank to bank.

Rxq7qQE.jpg

Sub on the ferry.

a3pKn8j.jpg

Other than the color mis-match the front end looks really good on the Sub.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I like the look of the new front end Crazy! Gives the truck a whole new look. Cool looking pics of your trip. Looks like you had fun. Cheers, Chilli.... ?

chilliwak,

Thank you, It looks and functions great. I am still getting used to the new hood. It has different angles than my old hood and I seem to be driving 6-8" to the right of where I want to be. Hopefully I'll get back on track soon!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Skyline Drive, Virginia.

Anytime I am remotely close to Shenandoah I make it a point to stop by and drive Skyline Drive with my kids. Sometimes its a section sometimes it's the entire 105 miles, but every time it's a magical adventure. This time we only drove 85 miles.

2XykREQ.jpg

One of many pullouts where we are above the clouds. And the front end looks fantastic.

ZhT4NXu.jpg

One of the boys exploring a stone wall.

S9Ul1Kx.jpg

Think the kids are beginning to find an appreciation for all of our trips.

Y82tHZg.jpg

One minute you are in the clouds, the next there is some visibility.

AmigmMr.jpg

Made it to the highest point on Skyline drive in a place called Skyland. Funny to think that 3,680 ft is high compared to what I'm used to on the west coast.

cT9QVQx.jpg

Always make it a point to enjoy a section of the Appalachian Trail.

X760UL5.jpg

Lonely tree on the side of another overlook.

jetqJpr.jpg

Enjoying watching the clouds from Bacon Hollow Overlook.

OKcmYGH.jpg

It's magical to be above the clouds and watch them come and go.

mr1SH4G.jpg

Clouds change every couple minutes.

xI93HHu.jpg

This view does not get old, but sadly we had more places to go and people to see.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I think I would just start looking for a set of no cladding avalanche fenders and run it as is until then. I just found a set of fenders and a hood for my excursion for $90. FB marketplace is where it's at!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I think I would just start looking for a set of no cladding avalanche fenders and run it as is until then. I just found a set of fenders and a hood for my excursion for $90. FB marketplace is where it's at!

nitro_rat,

You are going to put non cladded Avi/silverado fenders on your Excursion? Or do you have a GM truck too? BTW, $90 for two fenders and a hood for your Excursion is a great price. I have mixed luck with FB market place and craigslist up here in New England.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
nitro_rat,

You are going to put non cladded Avi/silverado fenders on your Excursion?

LOL, no. Just saying that deals are out there if you keep your ear to the ground. The sheetmetal that I found was Excursion stuff. It's harder to find Eddie Bauer fender cladding than you would think. It is available new but about $300/side (pre-painted though). Probably no more difficult than finding a non-clad Avalanche.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
LOL, no. Just saying that deals are out there if you keep your ear to the ground. The sheetmetal that I found was Excursion stuff. It's harder to find Eddie Bauer fender cladding than you would think. It is available new but about $300/side (pre-painted though). Probably no more difficult than finding a non-clad Avalanche.

nitro_rat,

Gotcha, yeah, you got quite a deal and your truck looks awesome. The only reason I went with cladded is because the entire truck was $200 and I will pull over $1,000 of parts from it before the spring. I'm always looking for deals if I'm not out adventuring.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
nitro_rat,

Gotcha, yeah, you got quite a deal and your truck looks awesome. The only reason I went with cladded is because the entire truck was $200 and I will pull over $1,000 of parts from it before the spring. I'm always looking for deals if I'm not out adventuring.

Thanks!

I'm also a deal hunter. I'm trying to get the Ex back in shape as cheaply as possible. I'm basically staying stock for now and I'll only be doing "mods" if they prove to be necessary. I'm impressed with how far you're able to push the GM 1/2 ton IFS, I've scattered several of those front diffs with stock size tires! I'm looking for a Super Duty Dana 60 to ditch the Ex's Dana 50, just waiting for the right deal to come along!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles