2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
For playing around...you can't beat a well built UTV. (one of the many services I provide in my shop!)…..Awesome the ole burb is kickin again!!!!

Burbinkojack,

Yeah, the Razr was well built but not an over the top rig and outright owned the dunes, so confident it was outright scary.

As far as an uber build of the Sub I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on dumping thousands into it because it will go just as far as a budget fun build, and it would be more fun to see what you do with the patriot.

Show us some picks of your Sub and what you end up doing with it.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Armagosa Sand Dunes!

PRESS Ctrl F5 to reload the page if the images do not load the first time around.

Most people in SoCal and Las Vegas Area go to Glamis or Dumont both of which are exceptional area and are ridiculously busy just about every day of the year, which can be a great thing especially when your get stuck and can not get out by yourself. However I do not plan on getting stuck and want the peace, quiet and serenity of having my own sand dune area without having to pay to play. We went an hour north of Las Vegas to a place called Armagosa Big Dune. We were the only ones there and it was magical.

5O7XZm0.jpg

Kids posing with the minion that marks the entrance to the dunes.

nWQh2nS.jpg

Our base camp, had to bring the camper with the AC for the kids and a dirt bike just to play around, it did not do well on the sand at all with bald dirt tires.

j8UjFub.jpg

We explored the endless sea of sand and the Sub did great. I should have taken a picture of the flag mount which was the already drilled 1/2" hole in the hood from where the hood pins were before they sheared off.

BOpQM3r.jpg

Hill climbing early on while I was trying to figure out which gear and transfer case configuration to stay in.

GKpYKbg.jpg

4wd high, 2nd gear, torque converter locked, rear tires 15psi, front tires 35psi was the best all around combination for the day.

Ko8aBp5.jpg

My buddy left his 4Runner at base camp and pulled out the ultimate sand dune machine which walked up to the top of the Big Dune and around us like it was nothing.

t3vkzrd.jpg

We ran into but not over a local that was perfectly camouflaged in the desert.

Overall a great time by all, the kids had a blast in the Razor and could not appreciate some of the places the Sub was able to get in and out of. My buddy with his Jeep had so much fun and really had a chance to explore the full potential of his Jeep and exactly how well the TruTracks work. I am working on a couple videos and will get them posted soon.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Gold Butte: Twin Point and Grand Gulch Mine.

PRESS Ctrl F5 to reload the page if the images do not load the first time around.

We have been trying to find a way to get to get to Grand Gulch Mine and have either found impassible trails or not enough time, finally we made it all the way to the mine.

Best route that I can find in and out is starting from St George, take River Rd south, which turns into AZ 5, turn right onto AZ 103, turn right onto BLM1002, follow BLM1002 all the way to the mine and take the same route out.

DRBoP2l.jpg

Saw this rust bucket peaking thorough the brush approximately 50ft off the road, had to investigate.

KdIpkvT.jpg

Once again I have no idea what make or model this is, if you identify it I will give you credit.

71pGGPx.jpg

This truck is 1/4mile from the border of Grand Canyon Parashant national monument and Grand Canyon National Park.

q5eB3Xb.jpg

So it rained while we were out there and all the signs said that these trails should not be attempted in the rain or within 24 hours of the rain due to them being impassible. We made it, over 100 miles of 1-6" deep mud, Patagonia MTs had no issues in 2wd high.

AC3OnHB.jpg

Onto Twin Point where we thought about camping but the road was too close to the edge of the Grand Canyon and we didn't want to take a chance with the boys falling over the edge.

PAPIzjl.jpg

The road is five feet from the edge at some places.

fy8IFVs.jpg

Wifey would not let me get the truck close to the edge for a picture.

V1nfEMn.jpg

Grand Gulch Mine was the biggest and most profitable copper mine in Arizona and was operational during WWI and WWII, operations stopped due to the low demand and low price of copper as well as extensive transportation costs involved in getting it to the refineries.

DRhAKbJ.jpg

Front side of the three room bunk house.

KzybJaJ.jpg

Powder room, is approximately 1/5 mile from the strip mine and at a safe distance fro the two runway airstrip. great place to keep explosives.

5ItPCSM.jpg

Smelter chimney has three levels and is 50-60ft tall.

8mS45Fy.jpg

Sub with the smelter chimney in the background.

VZwMI9j.jpg

Hoppers a a foundation of a building long gone.

qXBb7j0.jpg

Once of the better preserved buildings.

MWtaSss.jpg

Ore trucks, the mining operation just stopped and everyone left, this is how the camp looked on it's last day.

aQzcZ2I.jpg

Due to the remote location and difficult access the trucks are relatively well preserved in the harsh desert environment.

GTYfIig.jpg

Front truck.

I9UD84z.jpg

Kids spent nearly an hour driving the big trucks.

LJTDu3o.jpg

They could get into the drivers seat but could not get out, light breeze and shade made for some free time for me to explore the buildings next to the trucks uninterrupted. We returned home the same way we came in. Took us just under three hours of actual driving to cover 125 miles from St George to Twin Point to Grand Gulch Mine and a little under two hours to drive 84 miles back to St George.

We covered over 210 miles and still had enough gas to make it back to Vegas (120 miles). Any other vehicle would have to have brought extra gas and needed to use 4x4 to get up some of the 24" or higher washed outs ledges. Great trip, the weather was a hit or miss with clouds and rain and sunshine. Was not able to get any timelapse videos of Twin Point, but will be back in a few weeks to timelapse BLM1002 to Grand Gulch Mine, Twin Point Rd and Kelly Point Road.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Cool looking pics Crazy. I can see lots of projects just waiting to be built from your pics. Just think of some of those old rusty cabs being the start of a new truck! Also cool to hear that your new tires handle the mud well. What load range are your tires? I am just curious if you aired down or not. Anyways thanks for posting pics. Cheers, Chilli.....:cool:

autism family travels

Burbinkojack,

Yeah, the Razr was well built but not an over the top rig and outright owned the dunes, so confident it was outright scary.

As far as an uber build of the Sub I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on dumping thousands into it because it will go just as far as a budget fun build, and it would be more fun to see what you do with the patriot.

Show us some picks of your Sub and what you end up doing with it.

Yeah, Drei, I am beginning to think the same way. I am probably going to toss the supreme suspensions keys and 2 inch spacers in the rear with some bags, and put on shock extensions and call the suspension DONE. Pop on some 285's, nice wheels. bumpers and paint. and Just keep it running as long as possible. I started putting my camping gear into the back of it, have it all in the drivers side cubbies in the rear of the rig. I love how much space is in the rear of the suburban. The patriot is going to be neat. I have eyeballed the kings for it. I just have to get confirmation they can get me the spring rates, and valve rates dialed for the lighter jeep. The eye to eye and extended length are all good to go.

As for the RZR, check out the expedition RZR someone built. You may have to google it, but it's down right awesome. They built a hard top "jeep style" roof for it. It's sick.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Cool looking pics Crazy. I can see lots of projects just waiting to be built from your pics. Just think of some of those old rusty cabs being the start of a new truck! Also cool to hear that your new tires handle the mud well. What load range are your tires? I am just curious if you aired down or not. Anyways thanks for posting pics. Cheers, Chilli.....:cool:

Chiili,

Load range D 3,525lbs at 50psi. I run 45psi fir everyday driving. 20psi on the trails and 15psi for 4x4 low rock crawling. When I drop to 20psi the footprint becomes so large that my power steering pump struggles on the pavement. At 45psi my mpg increases dramatically too.

Initially when I played in the mud in early January I was not impressed with mud performance at all, however last trip where I did over 100 miles in mud I had absolutely no issues at all in 2wd high at 20psi.

I really like these tires and will be putting them on every off road rig I own, just wish they would wear quicker so I can upgrade to 40s.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am glad to hear you are having good experience with those tires Crazy. Going up to 40 inch tires is big! Then we can call you monster Crazy Drei! Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Yeah, Drei, I am beginning to think the same way. I am probably going to toss the supreme suspensions keys and 2 inch spacers in the rear with some bags, and put on shock extensions and call the suspension DONE. Pop on some 285's, nice wheels. bumpers and paint. and Just keep it running as long as possible. I started putting my camping gear into the back of it, have it all in the drivers side cubbies in the rear of the rig. I love how much space is in the rear of the suburban. The patriot is going to be neat. I have eyeballed the kings for it. I just have to get confirmation they can get me the spring rates, and valve rates dialed for the lighter jeep. The eye to eye and extended length are all good to go.

As for the RZR, check out the expedition RZR someone built. You may have to google it, but it's down right awesome. They built a hard top "jeep style" roof for it. It's sick.

burbinkojack,

The expedition RZR looks pretty cool, I bet it can get into places most can only imagine and with the trailer has decent range too.

As far as your burb, $60 gets you re-indexed front keys, rear shock extenders, and rear coil spacers, 2" if you have new and good z71 or towing package coils or 3" spacer if you have older worn out springs. This set up will fit 33x12.5" tires on factory rims with just minor 5 minute trim job that is 100% hidden by the factory inner fenders. This is super low budget and will get your burb just about any place you will ever want to take it. How many other vehicles do you know that you can do a 3" lift for $60!!!!!

If you are up for some minor cutting/drilling, look at 100 series Land Cruiser bumpers, they are perfect width for the Suburban/Tahoe.

Cubbies in the truck are fantastic, I stuff them with all the gear that never leaves my truck, and is amazing how much actually fits in the truck completely out of sight. My next project is to divorce the Puma air compressor from the tank and mount the compressor in the spot where the rear subwoofer sits, mount the tank somewhere under the truck and run front and rear on board air hoses. Sine i got the Puma I have been inflating all of my friend's tires.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Where can you get all that for 60 bucks? I would love to get it all. Also, is it just the ARB version of the series 100 or ANY bumper?

burbinkojack,

You can get everything on eBay. Prices go up an down ~$2-5 every few days so if you keep an eye out you can save $10

Re-indexed torsion keys $20

2" coil spacers $25

3" coil spacers $30

rear shock extender $20

Bilstein 5100 rear shocks $75

I would run a 2" spacer if you run your truck empty with only 2 people and minimal gear, if you have more than 2 people in the truck on your adventures or bring more than just a sleeping bag I would do 3" spacers. Also I am not a big fan of the the shock extenders, I would run Bilstein 5100s in the rear with the coil spacers and keep the front shocks. No need for front shock extenders because you are not lifting the truck but pushing it up higher in the suspension travel range.

I have done various combinations of the parts above to my Sub as well as many of my friends' Subs and Tahoes and found ford keys, 3" spacers and rear Bilstein 5100s to be the best overall combination.

As far as 100-series bumpers do not know if it's just ARB or any one, I have done minimal research last year but decided to keep my factory bumper cause I like the look of a factory setup better.

Good luck!

autism family travels

Cool. Ordered ASAP! I am going with the shock extenders because I LOVE the way my rig rides now with the Monroe monotubes. Thanks....Most everything I saw was like 200 bucks for the spacers and keys. I will just lift the front enough to get some 285s under it with the plow on and bag my rear spings with the 2" rear spacer.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I am glad to hear you are having good experience with those tires Crazy. Going up to 40 inch tires is big! Then we can call you monster Crazy Drei! Cheers, Chilli...:cool:
Drei ,

You going higher when you get the 40s?

Chilli,

I'll take the new title of a crazy monster Drei when time comes lol!

burbinkojack,

No 40s will be the end of the line for me, going any bigger would not be practical as a daily driver.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Crazy, where does the Drei come from and how should we understand it.... Just curious. Cheers, chilli...:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior