2000 LMTV M1079A1 4x4 Overlander

2Ramblers

AD4EBD45-EA05-4B8B-A5DC-3BB9C2ADFF07.jpeg

Shows stock size, weight, wheelbase, approach & departure angles, etc.

25AC72BF-7F88-422D-8956-150C08FA497A.jpeg

Original cost of stock vehicle to US military. More expensive than most LMTVs because it’s got the 1079 “van” box, the cold weather package and it’s an A1 model with Cat 3126, ABS, PacBrake, improved reliability, etc.

Last edited:

2Ramblers

6DD620CD-2945-44D1-A644-A6F059EE5245.jpeg

Blue Sea 120V AC master switches; Progressive Industries monitor
Victron battery monitor for 24V system (bottom)
12V switches and monitor; thermostat for diesel fired heater

60,000 BTU diesel fired heater (on wall) before improving air circulation
Tablet holder; Blackout shades (lowered, one window shown open)
7031A745-6CB1-4C0C-9D38-7C6464418406.jpeg

Froli STAR modular bed system with adjustable head rests
(under mattress pad and pillow for extra comfort and to prevent condensation)

9018BE3A-B611-4904-AD5D-4AF7E40E7A2C.jpeg

Last edited:

2Ramblers

We use Progressive RV Insurance. Our truck is registered in Texas. I know an LMTV owner in Arizona who uses Progressive Commercial. He has also used Gulfway out of Florida and Continental Western in Texas. He told me, “If you already have State Farm for another vehicle, they will insure the FMTV in Arizona. I also heard Farmers will too.“

It’s always a good idea to confirm insurance and registration options in your own state. Your agent may need to add zeros in front of the VIN number to make it long enough for their computer program to accept data in that field.

JumpJ

Adventurer
Where was the gearing upgrade performed to achieve the top speed you mentioned earlier in the post? THX

2Ramblers

MTP Drivetrain Services (an experienced military contractor): 2:87 gears; Rear Locker; L-625 Powergear climbing/clinging lube, etc
Cat follow up: Speedometer calibrated for new gearing & engine flashed to 330 hp (stock was 275 hp)

Joe B. at the Many, Louisiana location of MTP Drivetrain Services found these gears in their military parts inventory.
$6200 total parts, labor and tax for 2:87 gears (leaving our stock gears with MTP), rear locker, fluid, etc. on 11/16/17

Last edited:

ohiobenz

We use Progressive RV Insurance. Our truck is registered in Texas. I know an LMTV owner in Arizona who uses Progressive Commercial. He has also used Gulfway out of Florida and Continental Western in Texas. He told me, “If you already have State Farm for another vehicle, they will insure the FMTV in Arizona. I also heard Farmers will too.“

It’s always a good idea to confirm insurance and registration options in your own state. Your agent may need to add zeros in front of the VIN number to make it long enough for their computer program to accept data in that field.

My 98 M1079 is Ohio titled and plated as an RV, yet Progressive would not insure it as anything other than Commercial truck.

Any info you can share on how you got the RV coverage??

2Ramblers

We worked with a very helpful local agent rather than the national call center. Our agent asked for several photos of our LMTV, inside and out. Then he submitted our request for a RV policy and the computer accepted. (He used zeros in front of the VIN to be long enough.)

Two other forum members I know have LMTVs registered as RVs with Progressive— one in Arizona, one in California. Both really are RVs— one self built and one big name pro build. Both members used agents rather than direct. The California member drove his rig to the agent’s office. The Arizona agent was already familiar with LMTVs. I suspect a good local agent is the key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94