2000 GMC Safari AWD Hightop - Campervan Conversion | Project Recap

dcbryan

Observer
Suspension and Tires

Back to work on the suspension. Here's when found out why the back was sitting so low. The previous owner had removed one of the leafs out of each side of the leaf spring pack. We were planning on upgrading these anyway, so whatever.

Bx1FXPw.jpg

Time for a trip to the neighborhood Pick-N-Pull. Sadly they were going out of business, but good for us, they were having a half off everything sale.

ZNRpDie.jpg

Found a good S10 pickup that matched our spring length, winched it up in the air and pulled them off.

Q6Lmp80.jpg

$28 later we're looking pretty good.

FRNnTXd.jpg

Clearly the next order of business is tires. These stock tires are 215/70/R15 (on a 5 lug x 5in wheel).

cP4clZy.jpg

Here's what we decided on – LT rated Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. I'd run the P version of these tires on my subaru (also lifted) for the past few years and they've held up great. We got them for a steal as well, something like $575 installed. If you're curious about other options for tires on these Astro/Safari's take a look at the Research Google Doc, I've got links and prices to every offroad tire that would fit.

bOsy6i4.jpg

Mounted up, outside the tire shop, all the mechanics laughing in the background.

XKi3f4e.jpg

And I scraped like hell easing my way out of the shop's parking lot. We had a lot of trimming to do. We have now got the wheel wells to a point where we have a full turning radius without rubbing.

V0CaoUg.jpg

Here is it with the new leaf springs and tires, finally starting to look like an adventure van right?

kBzjt3e.jpg

pacer

Observer
Oh, and yes, a 4x4 s10 cross member and transfer case will bolt right into this. May have to mod your driveshafts.
Super cool project, thanks for posting. Subscribed!

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Well probably not ANYWHERE. It's AWD, not true 4x4 and its got open diffs. If one axle/wheel looses traction, that's where the power goes and it just starts spinning helplessly. There is talk of swapping transfer cases, etc to a true 4wd system from one of chevy's other rigs.

Perhaps consider a used "G80" option Eaton locker out of another Astro/Safari, Ebay, Pick N Pull, etc. They can be had for pretty cheap and nice to have if/when necessary.

dcbryan

Observer
Perhaps consider a used "G80" option Eaton locker out of another Astro/Safari, Ebay, Pick N Pull, etc. They can be had for pretty cheap and nice to have if/when necessary.

So if I were just to but a G80 Eaton locker in the van as in, would it have any impact on the AWD? This unit is a rear differential right? So it's kicks in when either the right or left tire is loosing traction?

pacer

Observer
So if I were just to but a G80 Eaton locker in the van as in, would it have any impact on the AWD? This unit is a rear differential right? So it's kicks in when either the right or left tire is loosing traction?
Correct. Should have no impact on the driveline at all. Just keep you moving when things get tricky.

Stroverlander

Adventurer

Yes, it's a locking rear diff and you can use it with your stock gears and izaicinajums installed one in their Astro.

[video=youtube;tTGZOJQQBeE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tTGZOJQQBeE[/video]

ihatemybike

Explorer
Back to work on the suspension. Here's when found out why the back was sitting so low. The previous owner had removed one of the leafs out of each side of the leaf spring pack. We were planning on upgrading these anyway, so whatever.

Bx1FXPw.jpg

Most Astros came with 3 leafs, Grumpy is the only one of my vans that had a 4th leaf from the factory.

izaicinajums

izaicinajums.com
Well probably not ANYWHERE. It's AWD, not true 4x4 and its got open diffs. If one axle/wheel looses traction, that's where the power goes and it just starts spinning helplessly. There is talk of swapping transfer cases, etc to a true 4wd system from one of chevy's other rigs.
Well, the central diff - AWD transfer case, actually is not open. In reality you would need to lose traction on one wheel on each axle to stop moving. Yes, it's not true 50:50 power distribution, if I recall correctly, it's more like 40:60 (front:rear). It can go lots of places without G80, on 3 tires and some where Sportsmobile will have problems because of it's size. ;)

That said G80 is definetly nice addition and has helped us couple times to get trough tough stops easily. Just make sure when you install G80 to check the backlash and make sure it's within limits. G80 could be found year ago for ~$100

I bough from this seller. Now prices have gone up I guess and he is selling for $145...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-chevrole...-28-/381278176757?hash=item58c5f345f5&vxp=mtr

dcbryan

Observer
Well, the central diff - AWD transfer case, actually is not open. In reality you would need to lose traction on one wheel on each axle to stop moving. Yes, it's not true 50:50 power distribution, if I recall correctly, it's more like 40:60 (front:rear). It can go lots of places without G80, on 3 tires and some where Sportsmobile will have problems because of it's size. ;)

That said G80 is definetly nice addition and has helped us couple times to get trough tough stops easily. Just make sure when you install G80 to check the backlash and make sure it's within limits. G80 could be found year ago for ~$100

I bough from this seller. Now prices have gone up I guess and he is selling for $145...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-chevrole...-28-/381278176757?hash=item58c5f345f5&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the info on the G80.

I got stuck in about 6 inches of soft melting snow, which was on top of a paved road. The front tires had pushed mound of snow in front of them and I came to a stop. When I gave it some gas both back tires began to spin, since they weren't buried and were sitting on top of a slick packed slush. This is the same way my AWD Subaru acts when stuck. I've buried the front tires more than once, the tires both spinning and the front doesn't budge. I was under the impression that's what how an open diff acted.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles