200 Series Newbie Questions

chunko

Observer
The only downside to the GX is the back door. If they at least would make a version for the rest of the world that opened curb side for left hand drive countries it would help. Window needs to roll down too if it isn't going to be a tailgate/liftgate combo.

When I bought my 2013 200 with 45K miles in august of 2017, i got it for almost the same price people were asking for 1-2 year old 4Runner TRD's with 20K miles with all options. I was patient though and had sold my 2014 Silverado Z71 and had cash in hand and could grind dealers down against each other.

Wow! Sounds like you got a great deal.

My issue with the current GX is the hideous new Lexus bumpers. Can that even be fixed with an aftermarket bumper? Soooo much plastic and it hangs down so low.

I could get used to the door. My disco has the door and in a lot of ways I prefer it to the lift gate (split tailgate is preferable).

Thanks for letting me know the GX has a Full-time t-case. If it can take the same aftermarket lockers as a 4Runner, I'll definitely add it to my list.

Also...the manual transmissioned FJ Cruisers are full-time 4wd, but y'all probably knew that. I have 3 kids, so the FJ's rear seating arrangement hurts me, or I'd be all over that too.

Yes, the new GX460's front end is, unfortunate. Metaltech and C4Fabrication have bumpers for the 460 for the '10 to '13 model years so they may try to tackle the facelifted model soon. I have a GX470 and the back door is not a big issue for me, maybe because I don't live where I have to parallel park often. I actually like being able to open it slightly and toss stuff in or pull something out. The GX460 also has a flip up rear window so you at least get some functionality if you are carrying long items.

chunko

Observer
And yes, the GX460 and 5th gen 4Runner have the same J150 platform and use the same 8.2" rear axle. Also, any suspension items from the 4Runner or '10+ FJ will fit the GX.

collk22

Observer
I don't know anybody but snobs that don't think highly of the 200 series. The only reason there aren't more of them being used in the offroad/overlanding community is simply that it's a high-dollar, low volume vehicle and they are only now becoming affordable for people. If I could afford one, I'd get a 200 in a heartbeat.

It's Toyota's flagship vehicle. No knock on 4Runners or Tacomas, but the LC is simply in a different class.

fungus

I don't know anybody but snobs that don't think highly of the 200 series. The only reason there aren't more of them being used in the offroad/overlanding community is simply that it's a high-dollar, low volume vehicle and they are only now becoming affordable for people. If I could afford one, I'd get a 200 in a heartbeat.

It's Toyota's flagship vehicle. No knock on 4Runners or Tacomas, but the LC is simply in a different class.

This^^. That is why I say drive them back to back. My 200 is light years ahead of where my taco and tundras were. Completely different class. When you go wheeling, the difference is even more noticeable.

Jwestpro

Explorer
My issue with the current GX is the hideous new Lexus bumpers. Can that even be fixed with an aftermarket bumper? Soooo much plastic and it hangs down so low.

I could get used to the door. My disco has the door and in a lot of ways I prefer it to the lift gate (split tailgate is preferable).

Thanks for letting me know the GX has a Full-time t-case. If it can take the same aftermarket lockers as a 4Runner, I'll definitely add it to my list.

Also...the manual transmissioned FJ Cruisers are full-time 4wd, but y'all probably knew that. I have 3 kids, so the FJ's rear seating arrangement hurts me, or I'd be all over that too.

The modern FJ is way too small inside and with terrible visibility out of those tiny windows. To me it's like the antithesis to Land Cruisers new to very old that I've ever seen. The old leaf srpung vehicles had nice big windows and upright seating. I rode in the back of a friends new FJ last year and vowed to never do it again and it was only a 30 minute trip.

FJ would be cool with the top chopped off though ;)

People with swing out rear doors learn to utilize their benefits like mounting folding work surfaces and enjoy that the spare tire is already in a smart location without having to buy bumper swings, etc. It's even quite convenient to have a tire mounted bike carrier with all of it swinging out of the way together.

I lived with Disco 1 and II doors for years then got an LR3 with its split tailgate. There are in fact some negatives to the tailgate approach. On the swing door you can easily have a RTT open over the rear to become your roof and create a room with an annex. Most tailgates open too tall which requires the RTT to be mounted so high to still work there it's silly or to just mount it opening over the sides or front. Then if you want a rear area space created, you now have to add awnings which for most people then also requires a substantial rack system. This all adds weight, cost, complexity, etc.

My Hannibal awning mounts to a Hannibal rack. I love how they work and it has side walls to create an enclosed area from wind for cooking, rain, snow, direct sun, privacy but the rack, awning, a few lights under its front edge and the 3 Yakima bars it sits on weighs almost 100 lbs. I have recently located the RTT to the front with some overhang such that 1/2 the rack is used and 1/2 empty allowing some "porch" space or for other items like a chainsaw inside a case. However, it would be slick and much less roof weight if all that were removed but RTT just on 2 bars and opening over the rear. I might be able to do that if I remove the ladder which is mounted to the upper hatch.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

The modern FJ is way too small inside and with terrible visibility out of those tiny windows. To me it's like the antithesis to Land Cruisers new to very old that I've ever seen. The old leaf srpung vehicles had nice big windows and upright seating. I rode in the back of a friends new FJ last year and vowed to never do it again and it was only a 30 minute trip.

FJ would be cool with the top chopped off though ;)

People with swing out rear doors learn to utilize their benefits like mounting folding work surfaces and enjoy that the spare tire is already in a smart location without having to buy bumper swings, etc. It's even quite convenient to have a tire mounted bike carrier with all of it swinging out of the way together.

I lived with Disco 1 and II doors for years then got an LR3 with its split tailgate. There are in fact some negatives to the tailgate approach. On the swing door you can easily have a RTT open over the rear to become your roof and create a room with an annex. Most tailgates open too tall which requires the RTT to be mounted so high to still work there it's silly or to just mount it opening over the sides or front. Then if you want a rear area space created, you now have to add awnings which for most people then also requires a substantial rack system. This all adds weight, cost, complexity, etc.

My Hannibal awning mounts to a Hannibal rack. I love how they work and it has side walls to create an enclosed area from wind for cooking, rain, snow, direct sun, privacy but the rack, awning, a few lights under its front edge and the 3 Yakima bars it sits on weighs almost 100 lbs. I have recently located the RTT to the front with some overhang such that 1/2 the rack is used and 1/2 empty allowing some "porch" space or for other items like a chainsaw inside a case. However, it would be slick and much less roof weight if all that were removed but RTT just on 2 bars and opening over the rear. I might be able to do that if I remove the ladder which is mounted to the upper hatch.

Fjs are not that bad.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Fjs are not that bad.

Well, I rode in one and it sucked for space and visibility. It reminded me of being in an H1 Hummer except the H1 is about 50% wider inside LOL

Maybe I'm too used to the tall windows with low sill that the Discovery provides and the LR3 mostly retains. I do however think an open top FJ would be incredibly cool

tbisaacs

Adventurer
The 200 series is a pretty different animal than the 150 series 4Runner / GX. All of them are extremely capable but the 200 is just a tank in comparison. And not to mention, way more flexible with 500+ RTI:

https://plus.google.com/+ToshiClark/posts/4UjKS2hBWR9

OP, like you I wanted a 200 series but didn’t want to spend a bunch of cash on mods to enjoy it, so I bought an LX570. Mine had < 100k miles and I paid less than $30k for it.

People groan about the AHC on the 570 but it’s not the same system that was in the 100 series TLC/LX470. It’s so much more robust. Anecdotally, my buddy has an ‘09 570 with 200k and the system is flawless.

I’ve got ~2.5” lift on demand, variable damping, and auto leveling with cargo and towing.

As others pointed out, the 200 only has a center diff lock, but don’t discount ATRAC and crawl control. You can get pretty far with those and common sense. I’ve been buried to my axles in snow and mud and crawl control just figured it out. Likewise I’ve had a wheel in the air an ATRAC does its thing.

c3b532129ff35efb93e9db2dabc4ba3d.cr2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwestpro

Explorer
^ this. I currently have a 96 Land Rover discovery 1 since 2000, a 2004 Disco II, and an lr3 since 2007. Where the open diff/solid axles often really would’ve benefitted from lockers, the lr3 has its incredible “terrain response” programming which gets you 95% what lockers used to do.

The Land Cruiser crawl is similar and there are pro/con LC200 vs LX570. I like the LX hydraulic damper lift but i also like the disconnecting sway bars on the LC. Trade offs. Unlike my LR3 air struts, if you somehow ever lost the fluid system in the LX, it still has actual steel springs so it’s not as catostrophic as my lr3 would be losing air.

I love both of those really and have basically already decided one of them will be the lr3 replacement someday.

For now fine though having completed the modifications required to allow full articulate use of 33.7” BFG KM2 with ko rubbing in any movements ;)

Kayak Taco

I've owned 2 2nd Gen Tacomas, a 2000 100 series, and now a 2008 200 series. The 200 series blows the others away with power and smoothness. The 100 series was great, better than my Tacomas for comfort and drive ability. Drive them all and make your decision. No way I'd spend $40k+ on a TRD pro Tacoma or 4 Runner over a nice 5 year old 200 series. That is assuming that you don't need the functionality of a pickup. If you need a pickup, I'd buy a 5 year old 2nd Gen, spend $5-10k modding it, and still have $10k in my pocket to travel...

SoCalJeff

Well, this was a well-timed thread! I'm picking my 2018 Series 200 up from the dealer tomorrow! (Should have been today but they took too long). I appreciate the comparisons and info posted above. It further settled my ever racing mind that I was making the right decision. Looking forward to becoming an active member in the LC forums. I have a lot to learn and even more to spend!

4Beast

Observer
Well, I rode in one and it sucked for space and visibility. It reminded me of being in an H1 Hummer except the H1 is about 50% wider inside LOL

Maybe I'm too used to the tall windows with low sill that the Discovery provides and the LR3 mostly retains. I do however think an open top FJ would be incredibly cool
The Discoverys are designed with excellent visibility to ensure you are able to see when the tow truck has arrived! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94