1997 Cummins Towho/Expo

blakeape

Adventurer
Finally got around to painting the boxes. I dropped and broke my cheepo Harbor Freight HVLP gun after the first coat, so I had to finish with rattle cans, but I think it looks a lot better then the white. I also built a removable drop in bar for lumber and boats. Been busy playing in the H2O!

IMG_1145_zpsea616f1b.jpg

[video]http://s851.photobucket.com/user/blakeape/media/IMG_1144_zpsf86a034a.mp4.html[/video]

blakeape

Adventurer
Put some new wheels and tires on this monstrosity the other day. 37x13.50R17 Toyo MT 10 ply e-rated on a set of 2007 Dodge take off aluminum wheels.

blakeape

Adventurer
Try again
IMG_1495_zps2c0dea07.jpg

IMG_1494_zpsb587fe91.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm jealous. Again!

The Toyos are sipped? They must be friggen amazing. I loved mine just as they came in the snow, but sipped!?!

blakeape

Adventurer
The siping really seems to help. My old MTR's were shot and I have been driving around with the hubs locked in since November because I was all over the road. I turned them out in the Les Scwab parking lot after bolting the Toyos on and haven't needed 4wd yet for daily driving and I work at the base of a ski hill. So far I am very impressed with the tires and glad I didn't settle for a D rated 8 ply tire.
I also pulled a leaf out of the front spring pack which lowered the truck about 1.5 inches and really softened up the ride!
IMG_1496_zpsf67f553b.jpg

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
Scored a Contractor Topper off Craigs List for $175! Need to build some sort of tailgate, but plan on removing the inside boxes of the topper on the pass side and making some sort of quick release screen for the windows for camping this spring/summer. It will be a nice option other than the camper for quick trips and just me and the dog trips with no wife. I also ordered some 1.5" wheel spacers but accidentally had them shipped to my parents house in CT instead of mine in MT.
IMG_1565_zps7014f744.jpg

IMG_1567_zpsee01703c.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I loved my Toyos in the snow too! Barely used 4wd at all last winter. Same goes for this year, but due to only having had 3 snowfalls all winter:(. Our usual 6-8' in town is about 8".

blakeape

Adventurer
I loved my Toyos in the snow too! Barely used 4wd at all last winter. Same goes for this year, but due to only having had 3 snowfalls all winter:(. Our usual 6-8' in town is about 8".

Bummer about the snowfall, if you like snow. I'm very impressed with the tires, I got hired to haul logs with my dump trailer by a friend doing a fuel reduction job and worried I might have to chain up. Only to learn my chains that worked on my 37x12.50 MTR's won't fit the 37x13.50 Toyos. But alas I had no problems dragging a fully loaded 8'x14' dump trailer around in the woods all day. Definitely impressed with the tires!
IMG_1546_zps9a21c658.jpg

IMG_1549_zps754c366f.jpg

IMG_1553_zps3469763d.jpg

surlydiesel

Adventurer
In your reply in the Toyota threads, you mention a "blown" motor in this truck??? Or did I read something wrong? Didn't see anything in the build.

Later,
Jorge

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
you gotta stop posting photos of this truck man or imma have to swing over to Montana and "borrow" that thing...

Man, that canopy looks great on there!

blakeape

Adventurer
In your reply in the Toyota threads, you mention a "blown" motor in this truck??? Or did I read something wrong? Didn't see anything in the build.

Later,
Jorge

Yes in May for some reason I don't fully understand I lost compression in #5 while towing my dump trailer. I ended up picking up a 94 2wd Cummins bone stock with an Auto with no reverse and 200K miles for $2900. I rode my KLR about 200 miles to the Spokane Wa area, tossed the bike in the back and drove it home. The tranny lost overdrive about 15 miles from my house and barely moved by the time I got home, but I made it! It was 103 degrees that day too.
IMG_1204_zps1becb315.jpg

Then I yanked the engine and sold the rest of the truck for $1500. I kept a bunch of parts and now have a spare radiator, starter, intercooler and boots. At this point I paid a mechanic friend of mine to pull my bad engine, swap my rebuilt 97 P7100 pump onto it, adjust the valves, put in heavier exhaust springs (for the exhaust brake) and install a new Southbend clutch. He only charged me $1400. I was very happy. Then I sold the bad engine with the 94 P7100 and some accessories for $1700. So I got off pretty easy way under $2500 with the new clutch, labor, fluids, etc.
Everybody I have talked to even those apposed to Veggie oil think that for some reason that cylinder got hot, maybe an injector stuck? We have all agreed it probably isn't veggie oil related and I'm back on the sauce.

blakeape

Adventurer
you gotta stop posting photos of this truck man or imma have to swing over to Montana and "borrow" that thing...

Man, that canopy looks great on there!

Thanks I appreciate it! Its fully insured, but I don't think State Farm would give me what it worth to me if you "borrowed" it.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Thanks for the update on the engine side of things. Weird you lost the cylinder but sounds like it didn't cost near as much as it might have. You have 2 of my favorite trucks on here. Nothing like a 1 ton Tacoma.

Cheers,
jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior