1996 ls Montero help

Danny Bonfire

Hi I am new to this forum and new to the Montero life. I have recently acquired a 1996 Montero ls 3.0 that has manual lockers up front and 33" tires.
After searching for many hours I can't quite find a prior post regarding 4.9 gears specifically for the ls model. Many have talked about the SR however.
Can anyone speak to the ls specifically and my options for 4.9 gears?
Thank you in advance,

DB

Justice R

Adventurer
You’ll need to swap in the big 3.5 SR axle in the rear then swap in sport ring and pinion to go 4.90 in back. For the front you’ll need SR with sport r/p or just use Sport ( if you want to eliminate the CAD use sport) it should all be well documented here if you dig a little.

The smaller LS axles are good if you want to go 5.29 though.

Danny Bonfire

You’ll need to swap in the big 3.5 SR axle in the rear then swap in sport ring and pinion to go 4.90 in back. For the front you’ll need SR with sport r/p or just use Sport ( if you want to eliminate the CAD use sport) it should all be well documented here if you dig a little.

The smaller LS axles are good if you want to go 5.29 though.
Thank you for your reply Justice R. I did happen upon a 1999 winter package. The interior is horrible, most electrical is haywire, suspension shot. However, the engine, tranny and rear locker all work well....anyone ever used all of the gen 2.5 components under the gen 2? I do prefer the body of gen 2.

Justice R

Adventurer
Thank you for your reply Justice R. I did happen upon a 1999 winter package. The interior is horrible, most electrical is haywire, suspension shot. However, the engine, tranny and rear locker all work well....anyone ever used all of the gen 2.5 components under the gen 2? I do prefer the body of gen 2.
That will work, the 99 running gear should all fit, but you’ll still want the gears out out of a sport. The 99’s have 4.29 gears which you don’t want.

plh

Explorer
Hi I am new to this forum and new to the Montero life. I have recently acquired a 1996 Montero ls 3.0 that has manual lockers up front and 33" tires.
After searching for many hours I can't quite find a prior post regarding 4.9 gears specifically for the ls model. Many have talked about the SR however.
Can anyone speak to the ls specifically and my options for 4.9 gears?
Thank you in advance,

DB

Montero Sports can be a donor for the 4.90 ring gears. Your rear is a 9" - 3.0L Sports also had 9". IIRC your front is an 8" - also same in the Sport. SR ring gears are 4.63, except the early 3.0l models which some had 4.88 and 9" rears but most likely 7.5" fronts.

It is highly possible that I have a set of 9"/8" 4.90 sitting around. PM me if interested in buying them, and I will confirm if I can lay eyes on them..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior