1991 Chevy R/V3500 Crew Cab Build

mattcrouch1502

Observer
So I got the engine started for the first time inside the truck! I still have some issues to sort out and I need to get my Ford F350 master cylinder bleed and installed. Hoping to be able to drive it around a little this weekend. Here are two very short videos of it running, first is of the engine compartment and second is of the exhaust. Was not able to do a revving video because I had no helpers...

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wicked to see your truck out there driving around Matt! It sure must make you feel good. Cheers, Chilli...:)

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Wicked to see your truck out there driving around Matt! It sure must make you feel good. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Thanks alot Chilli! It does feel great, now i'm working out the little things and tuning the injection pump. I'm also anxious to see what kind of fuel economy improvement I get, I was only getting 6mpg with my 454 so i'm excited!

mattcrouch1502

Observer
It has been a while, here is a little update on the rig.

I got a good deal on having the engine rebuilt and getting some machine work done on it. While it was off getting work done I had them do the "everyday driver" head studs, install the 3200 gov spring and add slightly larger injectors. I got the engine back, reinstalled it. I soon got to thinking about upgrading to a more common tire, this lead me to the 395/85r20... I had about 4.5" of lift with the axle moved forward slightly, and seeing that I ddn't want a huge lift (relatively speaking), I decided to shoot for 7" or so. A order was placed with ORD for some custom springs and in the interest of keeping it low and maintaining my inner wheel wells up travel will be limited with bump stops. The next order of business was stopping the big-****** tires, I have been looking at a big brake kit for the GM D60 for a while and this gave me a excuse to get it. It is the Torq Axle caliper bracket kit, it allows me to run 2009 and newer Ram 3500 front brakes. The rotor dia is a little over 14" and it has large dual piston calipers. This kit coupled with the Chevy AAM 10.5 axle I have ready to go in should stop the heavy pig!
full

full

I got the tires mounted up and had to use some wheel spacer to clear everything, once I get better clearance on the fenders and inner fender I want to get away from the spacers.

full

full

I had clearance the bottom of the bumper to even be able to turn lock to lock, even then I am going to have to clearance the core support, inner fender and the firewall... I plan to move the front axle back about 1" because I can remove more material easier from the firewall. I plan to still clearance the core support some how and also limiting the up-travel. Here are some pics of the clearances as it sits now..

full

full

So I was able to clearance the core support and inner fenders and was also able to get my grid heater hooked up, and I pulled the steering column to have it rebuilt and mocked up a swaybar to see if it will work with my crossover steering. I trimmed a section of core support and fold it up to create an angle that created about 3 more inches of clearance. Then I trimmed the inner fender and worked it around so I could bolt it back under the core support. Photos maybe easier to understand...
full

full

full

Here are some shots of the swaybar test fit up. It's a 2011 F250 swaybar and Jeep XJ swaybar links.
full

full

full

full

So I have logged a few hundred miles on this setup, the sway-bar made a pretty noticeable difference. Between the longer, softer, taller front springs and the bigger tires I am glad to have the sway-bar back on. I had to remove some sheet metal from the back of the front wheel opening, now I can turn lock to lock without getting into the metal. I still need to setup some front bump stops to limit up-travel, install my rear shackle flip, install the rear axle with 4.56 gears, and install the bigger front brakes. I will be taking a short trip in the truck coming up so I decided to install a small tool box and then use up some gift cards I received for Christmas to buy some hand tools. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out. Here are a few pics for now.

Revised fender trimming.
full

Tool box bolted in and ready.
full

Nothing fancy hand tools
full

full

full

full

full

I have a few extra sets of fenders and I plan to section them together to make a better looking set of fenders, but for the time being these will work. That brings it back up to date, for now... (Sorry for the long post..)

mattcrouch1502

Observer
So here is a little update, I have been driving the truck and enjoying it but I have had concerns that my one ton axles (mainly the brakes) were not going to hold up to the new bigger tires. Then I found a guy who was parting out a 2008 F550 and I scored the front and rear axles for a good deal! The front is the big version of the Dana 60 super, and a Spicer 110 for the rear. While both axles are BIG, the Spicer 110 is flat out huge... I will get some photos of it next to a 14bolt. They both have a odd 10x225 lug patter and I will probably end up running MRAP wheels with adapter plates. Here are a few pics, I have some stuff to figure out but I hope to have the rear ready before too long.
full
full
full
full
full
full

RPhil

Adventurer
This is awesome. What ratio came in your new axles? What wheel/tire setup are you planning on with them?

mattcrouch1502

Observer
This is awesome. What ratio came in your new axles? What wheel/tire setup are you planning on with them?

Thanks! The F550 axles are 4.88's and my current axles are 4.10's. I am planning to run some MRAP wheels with adapter plates and use my current Goodyear 395/85R20's.

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Its been a little while but I have been making slow progress with the axle swap. I got started with mocking up the rear Spicer 110, one thing I can say is that the Spicer is considerably bigger than the 14bolt...

The spring perches are about 1" too wide so I am going to have to move them in some, also looks like the passenger shock and the exhaust will occupy the same space. I am also move the rear axle forward about 3" to center up the wheel in the wheel well.

full

full

full

This is how far the MRAP wheels will stick out, I can flip them around but then they will suck in to far. I may have to break down and order some spacers to get the track width right. Also the swaybar, if I decide to run it, will work great, I will just have to extend the links a little.

full

full

full

full

full

mattcrouch1502

Observer
Then I started to mess with the front, I pulled GM D60 and manhandled the Super60 under the truck. Didn't have a ton of time but I was able to get the axle pretty well square under the frame and the axle center line about where I want it. I am trying to sell some parts I have taken off to help fund the 4 link parts, also looking at transfer case options for the driver drop and looking at more fender/core support trimming. I did get one of the MRAP wheels mounted up so that I can check clearances and get a idea of the look. This about brings this up to current, really excited to get started on the front suspension, hopefully after Christmas!

Here are a few pics of the axle at rough ride height.
full

full

full

Old VS New Wheels
full

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow Matt that looks like you have got a lot done on your rig. Your truck looks awesome! You might want to get rid of that Fruad emblem on your front hubs. You dont want to jink such a cool ride. Cheers, Chilli... ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94