1987 Turbo SR5

mtnkid85

Adventurer
For working with such a large intercooler, the bumper looks great!
What are you thinking for a grill over the intercooler? I think if you could replicate the lines and curvature of the factory 4runner grill it would really tie in well.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Very nice :) I had an '87 turbo truck for a few years, loved it. Beat the snot out of it, eventually blew the motor, put in a low mileage new motor from a junkyard with a bigger turbo, fun fun fun.

I actually enjoyed the 80's turbo feel - lots of lag and then wham! as the boost came up - fun in the middle of a corner

I think they didn't sell too many of them because they were expensive at the time

Skudman

A lot of updates and a first start video link

Long time not posting, been quite busy but lots of progress.
Found a nice little spot to slip in my oil cooler.

Had gotten a nice little Amazon gift card so bought the billet aluminium oil cooler adapter from Earls, it's temperature controlled!

Here is the bumper all mounted up, lights installed, wiring ran and switch mounted in the cab.

From the inside just the AUX driving LED's on

swapped out the stock alternator with the Jaguar one getting me to 120amps of power for future use.

Had a buddy fab up new power steering lines

Made up some new Stainless heater lines for the rear heater and for lower radiator hose.

Cut and welded the old exhaust to the new 3" downpipe

Took the radiator down to Macs and had them pressure test and clean it, played around with some paint on the fan shroud, installed all new silicone vacuum lines and covered everything near the turbo with either titanium/fiber header wrap of SS heat sleeve in an effort to keep radiatory heat down.

tac-n-stacked some mild steel here as I'm going manual and don't need to access the torque converter bolts.

Installed the new flywheel with ARP bolts

Drained all the gas, put in new non-ethanol for the first start

I filled her up with Joe Gibbs break in oil and gave her a spin with Megasquirt all wired and loaded up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSdbhxAH1Go

:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz