1974 Chevrolet Pronto fire engine

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Now all you have to do is get that rig out 4by4ing. That will help loosening up the springs....:ylsmoke: You found a really awesome, and probably quite rare rig. Cheers!:victory:

matt s

Explorer
Thanks, guys!

I sprayed a full can of chain lubricant on the springs, and will dump another can on them today. The hope is that they will loosen up or stay loose.

An old trick is to jack up the truck to get the load off the springs then use a chisel to open up between the leaves. Then get some axle grease in there ( a needle tip on your grease gun helps or a butter knife to spread it in the tight spots) . Also you can wrap the spring pack with tape afterwards to help keep grit out and grease in.

The tape part works "ok", however after having tried it I found it's just a good way to keep things messy under there. The grease part works well.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
OK, we've been using the fire engine for a small trip into the woods. Highlights: I didn't bother to fold the camping table when I packed for the return trip, as there was plenty cargo space... :D The kids love it.

I got some pictures, but the memory card developed a fault and had to be reformatted. :/

Plans: I'll look over the mechanicals and the electrics shortly, but most appears to be in good working order. I want to put in a new switch panel and some gauges. This is really easy to accomplish, as everything is square. A dual battery install and a "house circuit" is also in the works.

I'd like to mount my Maggiolina RTT on top. This will entail making a few holes in the roof to mount it to the steel "ribs" that lie under the roof skin. Then I'll have to make a few brackets that conform to the roof line. I'd like to have six attachment points for the tent, but four will do.

As we're now five in the family, at least one person has to sleep inside the truck. I'll have to rig something up. I just saw Mike Hiscox' Samurai build thread, and know it shouldnt be too hard.

Did I mention that I'd like modifications to be reversible? The truck is a rare specimen, I'd like to keep it mostly stock.

I have limited time to do stuff to it in the short run; I have to tidy up the Discovery to sell it. We're going to get a more economical daily driver, so I need to free up some funds. Would anyone like to by my high-mileage manual, Td5, cloth seat, 7-seater Disco II? :)

greg mgm

Explorer
Is there a way to beef up the roof rack mounts that attach to the drip rails? Wondering if you could mount the RTT without drilling holes.

Those axles should be heavy duty enough for your needs. I had a 78 GMC truck with that same axle arrangement and had no issues....definitely durable and HD.

Rot Box

Explorer
:Wow1:.........What the?!...... :drool: COOL!!!! :wings:

That rig rocks! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
The drip rails looks glued-on to me, and anyway they look quite flimsy. I could plop the RTT on top of the rear roof rack, but it would make the truck quite tall (and look a bit stupid...) And I like the roof rack. Not that I need it with the massive compartment in the rear.

Some of these trucks had a full-length roof rack. I think this one had at one time, as there is a set of unused holes near the front. I could use just those and an attachment to the rear roof rack. Dont't know how sturdy it would be.

This weekend is a long weekend (Monday is a holyday). I hope to tidy up the Disco for sale, and then bring the kids for an overnight stay with the fire engine.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
OK, so spring is coming, and the truck is in winter storage, but I'm planning to add power steering to it before the summer. It's heavy on the steering, and being long, needs a lot of steering input in tight spaces.

Can anyone ID the steering box on this thing? As mentioned earlier, the frame and driveline appears to be from a '74 K20 pickup, but the steering column might be something sourced from a van of the same vintage.

It looks like this:

steering1.jpg

steering2.jpg

My thinking is that I need a power steering box from the same type of vehicle the manual steering box came from. And then brackets, a pump, and suitable pulleys for the 292. And hoses, a reservoir and possibly some brackets to mount same. Does it sound reasonable so far?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Its a Saginaw box. They were made in both manual and power versions and clockwise/counterclockwise versions. How many mounting bolts hold it on?

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Its a Saginaw box. They were made in both manual and power versions and clockwise/counterclockwise versions. How many mounting bolts hold it on?

I can't really tell from the pictures, and the truck is in storage at the moment. The number of bolts are what identifies it, then? Then I'll have to see if I can get access one day.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I can't really tell from the pictures, and the truck is in storage at the moment. The number of bolts are what identifies it, then? Then I'll have to see if I can get access one day.

No. I am not to famaliar with the manual saginaw boxes. I know the power ones had three or four mounting bolt options and I think the manual boxes had three bolts. I think a four bolt power box would bolt up to a three bolt manual spot and then you could make the fourth hole using some sleeve and a bolt. At least on my Jeeps with the manual box to power box conversion thats how it worked. Here are some things to keep in mind: the power boxes and pumps had different style of hose ends, there are different splines/diameter inputs on the power boxes, there are quite a few different pitman arms that fit the power boxes and I think the manual arms won't fit the power boxes, and there are counterclockwise/clockwise turning boxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior