18" Wheels - recommendations? LR3

spikemd

Explorer
Nice work.

Johnson Rods is now a retailer for the Compomotive 18inch rims that will fit the LR4s, but they are not cheap since they come over from the UK.

If I were to buy tires today, I would get the new BFG ATs with the updated rubber. We just put some on a buddy's RRS with 20 inch rims. Look awesome and performed well in Moab last month.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Sim, your trade means you are getting your future tires for near free. If tpms has not gone off, chances are solid the tires you traded have them. The system will auto reset once on the new vehicle. I like my ko2's. They add about 0.75" to truck height. With those tires you may be close to or at the limit before you get some tire rub, especially off road. I picked up Johnson rods, used for $80.

Get yourself a full spare .... If going off road this is basically a requirement.

Consider this a good week for you ...

Full size spare is good but the rods are just dumb waste of $.

Maybe you didn't understand what he wrote....
He said all the valve stems are rubber...if the valve stems are not metal, they are simply not tpms sensors regardless of what the monitoring system is doing.

There is nothing "free" about buying new tires. The trade did not come with BFG on already. It was street tires/wheels for street tires and wheels. I'd say he screwed up by letting the $400 worth of sensors go with those wheels.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Oh yeah, I have an 06 HSE. Should I be concerned that I traded out my old wheels that had TPMS and haven't had one light pop up that my tire pressure is off since the switch? I was told if it is a rubber valve, the tire does not have TPMS. All are rubber.

I'm kind of pissed off on your behalf. YOU paid $ for the trade? Why, when they are the ones who got the "upgrade" as it would be considered by most industry standards?

Simi, if it was a Land Rover dealer, especially if one where you bought the vehicle, you really need to go back and explain that you thought it was an even trade with sensors in their set too....even if you really didn't know ****** was going on. You kind of screwed up on that dude but I think you might be able to fix it if you act quickly and make a fuss about it. They might be willing to give you a set of sensors or at least at cost. Having them is not imperative, but it's the principal that whoever did the trade with you knew ****** was going on and took advantage of your ignorance on the products.

Silmarillion

Observer
3rd time I've tried to type this on my phone... Kept deleting everything when I tabbed over to check stuff ughhh

Got it from a used car lot - 2005 SE - I can get my $30 back if I bring the tires back. My IID tool said my vehicle doesn't have TPMS, Which is weird because the tire shop guy said they did have the metal valves and would have TPMS..

Is it a quick swap to replace the stems? I could probably go get them switched out and just pay the labor to the tire shop if so and have the stems for my next set of tires.

Silmarillion

Observer
They called me about the vehicle this morning (a sales follow up heh) and said I could come and get the valves switched out without any pushback at all.

Thanks for helping me spot that issue Jim! Now to figure out if my vehicle even has TPMS...

Jwestpro

Explorer
If tpms has not gone off, chances are solid the tires you traded have them. The system will auto reset once on the new vehicle. ...

My mistake and yours is that some earlier models don't even have the tpms system.

There's one easy way to find out visually and that is to inspect the rear fender liners toward the rear ("3-o'clock if looking at the left rear ). In the fender liner will be a few closely spaced screws or rivets to which the sensor module mounts behind the liner. You can see it if you lie on the ground and look up or reach up to feel for it.

However, if your 19's don't have them, your vehicle most likely does not if they were the original wheels....I wonder about the order build on your SE. Being an 05 there were more stand alone option items such that an SE could be ordered with pretty much all the HSE options but still be an SE badge. The 19" order upgrade may have included the TPMS system option even if the vehicle doesn't have the premium package or other things found on an HSE.

morrisdl

Adventurer
All 2007+ and some late 2006 North America Spec LR3s had TPMS. I didnt think 2005's did, but its odd that your OEM wheels came with wheel sensors and not the have the feature.

Silmarillion

Observer
I'll go out and check. My vehicle is a 2006 HSE. I agree that it would be weird for the wheels to have the TPMS and not the vehicle...I did drive it for a whole year and didn't see a tire pressure indicator light once...

Does anyone know if a Cooper AT3 265/70R18 would fit the LR3? Actual experience with it fitting. I don't see that they offer a 265/65/18

32.64 diameter, and 3.5k load rating. I would be saving about $300 if so. I like saving $300! the AT3 reportedly are great on road and very good off road.

jhawk

Adventurer
I'll go out and check. My vehicle is a 2006 HSE. I agree that it would be weird for the wheels to have the TPMS and not the vehicle...I did drive it for a whole year and didn't see a tire pressure indicator light once...

Does anyone know if a Cooper AT3 265/70R18 would fit the LR3? Actual experience with it fitting. I don't see that they offer a 265/65/18

32.64 diameter, and 3.5k load rating. I would be saving about $300 if so. I like saving $300! the AT3 reportedly are great on road and very good off road.

I ran Cooper ATP's in that size. With a 2in lift and wheel spacers I still had to trim roughly 1/2 an inch off of the lower front bumper cover. No noticeable rubbing in the rear. They rubbed horribly when on the bump stops.

Spend the extra dough and go with the BFG's and get 265/65 or 275/65. I had nothing but issues with my Coopers.

Jim

Last edited:

Silmarillion

Observer
Jim - are these the holes you are talking about? There are no screws/rivets anywhere and these are the only pairs I've seen.

https://goo.gl/photos/gMWvz3MNto2Etr1z7

Assuming my tires did have TPMS, what do you think it would cost to get them removed from a set of tires, valves replaced, and the tire tired put back on the wheel and rebalanced? $20/wheel? I think the replacement TPMS are $70/wheel...

GORM

Adventurer
Suggest you get your new tires and have them installed when you change them. You can likely get any place you spend that amount of $ to swap rims and tpms. I had my tires mounted at pep boys and they did it for free, I had to pay for balancing. If you walked up to a tire shop not buying tires they might charge you $25 each tire to unmount, add tpms and then remount and rebalance.

zelatore

Explorer
RE: 265/70-18 - Not without trimming. It can be done, but unless you're willing to break out the cutting tools I'd recommend going with 265/65-18s. That's my 'default' tire size recommendation for these rigs.

(as a side note, I have a set of 275/70-18 Cooper STT Pros arriving in about a week, but I'm not averse to a little cutting)

Jwestpro

Explorer

32.64 diameter,

Technically they are too big even with the normal extensive mods due to how they would fit into the fender liner under full articulation or EAS failure.

Spacers only make it worse so forget that and the "lift" people talk about is bull ****. It's just faking the system into doing what it can already do but you're stuck higher up all the time.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Suggest you get your new tires and have them installed when you change them. You can likely get any place you spend that amount of $ to swap rims and tpms. I had my tires mounted at pep boys and they did it for free, I had to pay for balancing. If you walked up to a tire shop not buying tires they might charge you $25 each tire to unmount, add tpms and then remount and rebalance.

What he said ;) It's usually good to create an ongoing relationship with a tire shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles