12 V Fridge Quagmire

plh

Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-45G-45-Quart-Portable-Refrigerator/dp/B002W8BLUG

For several years (maybe 8?) I have had an Edgestar 45, works perfect. When its not in one of my trucks, it is plugged in to 120v in my basement for a beer fridge. In total it has probably been powered up via either 12VDC or 120VAC for over 7 of those 8 years.

If you don't mind camo, that Whynter 45 (same as Edgestar) is $343 (Prime) today on this Amazon link.

trae

Adventurer
https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-45G-45-Quart-Portable-Refrigerator/dp/B002W8BLUG

For several years (maybe 8?) I have had an Edgestar 45, works perfect. When its not in one of my trucks, it is plugged in to 120v in my basement for a beer fridge. In total it has probably been powered up via either 12VDC or 120VAC for over 7 of those 8 years.

If you don't mind camo, that Whynter 45 (same as Edgestar) is $343 (Prime) today on this Amazon link.

It’s the darnedest thing; when I click on the link in Tapatalk it redirects me to Walmart. Anyone else seeing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have had an Engel 40 quart for 5 years or so, and it is really bigger than I need (for just me and the dog). But I try to keep things simple, I'd rather be lounging in a camp chair, beer in hand, than slaving over elaborate meal prep. If you want to carry a lot of produce and fresh foods you might need more room than I do.

Either way it beats listening to the ice and melt water sloshing back and forth in the cooler on the trail.

michlong

anyone had experience with the ICECO products? looking at the VL60 dual zone on amazon. $799 with a cover and it should go under my truck's tonneau cover

I'm looking for something multi purpose, camping, going to the beach, road trips etc. I don't see my self in the wilds for weeks on end.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have 3 fridge freezers, I bought the ARB 50Qt first but I thought I needed a bigger one so I bought the ARB 82Qt But to be honest The 82Qt is why OTT and so far I have not used it because the 50Qt does it all and when there is just me I use my little Dometic CDF 18, I have tested a lot of fridges and the little CDF 18 uses the least amount of power out of all the fridges on the market, I have seen it use 60w in a 24 hour period running on 12v DC, In cooler Temps my ARB 50Qt will use less than 110w running on 12v DC when set to 2*c / 35*f,

A 50Qt fridge can hold a lot of frozen meals when packed properly, I got 43 meals in mine and I still could of got more in if needed, Another thing to remember is you don't have to put all your food in the fridge at once And even a 50Qt fridge is bloody heavy when it's fully loaded so before you go buying a fridge over 50Qt's you need to think about who else is going with you that can help carry the thing to and from the truck / Van,

I'd love to be using my 82Qt ARB but even empty it's heavy and that puts it in the Fugitive from weight watchers category,

My little Dometic CDF 18 has become my everyday fridge because you can carry it in one hand even when it's loaded and it will run for about 10 days or more from a 115Ah deep cycle battery before it needs charging, And with careful packing I can carry a weeks worth of food in it, I think it is the best fridge ever for a lone traveller,

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles