1120 AF Build in Norway

Geo.Lander

Dude! Just scroll down until you see the title "Departure Angle." You will even see pretty pictures. ;)

For the rest of us, I note that he has made some changes - gotta go re-read for myself.

To me, this is the baseline. You can debate all of his decisions - I don't use propane, I do use a composting toilet, I do use air conditioning, etc., but he never says anything stupid and he has driven the roads.

The article was very informative, but the writer misunderstands quite a few concepts when it comes to solar calculations and the basic technology, as you said, a baseline for most core aspects.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
As noted, some of the data are dated.

-- Composting toilets weren't an option when he first posted. If I had to use a black tank in Europe, I would use a macerator pump and hose, as does Advanced RV.
-- Lithium Iron batteries have reached the point (rapidly) where I would not build new with anything else and would replace if my lead acids were more than five years old.
-- It is much easier to forgo propane completely, even without lithium batteries.
-- We love solar, but I am looking strongly at the little Honda 2000.

But, at least for a lot of US readers, he breaks away from the classic RV, which is optimized for using "full hookups" all the time.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Today is BMS day, I will test 3 BMS units with canbus communication to see which one passes all my requirements with regards to basic operation with a mind to building the firmware to communicate with VEbus victron GX control.

First is the latest JDB FET based board with 200A continuous current. I'll be using a relay BMS for sure in the truck but this one has the same UART firmware and is 4S so I can use it in other builds for my land rover etc. (I'll be using 8S in the truck).

The next BMS I am waiting to test is the newer QUCC smart BMS, if I'm not happy with either I'll go ahead and order a REC BMS..

The plan is 2 separate batteries with independent BMS for redundancy connection parallel at the Lynx power in bus bar. Or 8S2P if REC purely because of costs.

View attachment 687913

I use the Overkill Solar BMS, which is a US marketed/supported JDB. Mine are 120A and I use three. If I had a bit more room for batteries, I would have simply built two (not three) batteries of 560Ah each. Would have given me more battery and still lots of headroom over my 150A max load. As you can see, I can't do it. (The aluminum frame that you can just see at the base is the limit of my space.)

1634473666657.jpeg

1634473707012.jpeg

If you use relays, do make sure that you mimic the functionality of a MOSFET and don't just install a brick wall kill relay.

If you hit overvoltage, you still want to be able to discharge - to fix the problem, and, if low voltage, you still want the battery to take a charge.

Recovery is much harder if the battery simply disconnects.

And pay a LOT of attention to the BMS cell leads - a bit of resistance and you will have no end of headaches!

Last edited:

Geo.Lander

I use the Overkill Solar BMS, which is a US marketed/supported JDB. Mine are 120A and I use three. If I had a bit more room for batteries, I would have simply built two (not three) batteries of 560Ah each. Would have given me more battery and still lots of headroom over my 150A max load. As you can see, I can't do it. (The aluminum frame that you can just see at the base is the limit of my space.)

View attachment 687915

View attachment 687916

If you use relays, do make sure that you mimic the functionality of a MOSFET and don't just install a brick wall kill relay.

If you hit overvoltage, you still want to be able to discharge - to fix the problem, and, if low voltage, you still want the battery to take a charge.

Recovery is much harder if the battery simply disconnects.

And pay a LOT of attention to the BMS cell leads - a bit of resistance and you will have no end of headaches!

Nice catch, the QUCC have 2 or 4 possible rely configurations for high and low charge protection independently. Quite attractive and well thought out.
The REC BMS might be the answer however for full victron GX device integration with SOC and cell information without attempts to program socket-can Ox IDs emulators to the venosOS. Victron do not disclose the protocol information directly.. the only issue is costs and lead times on REC.
It's all fun and games in the end ?
I will only need 300A @ 24v maximum shared between both batteries, if I go with rec I'll be making one 8S2P battery..
Nice wiring job btw!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Wiring is hideous! But safe.

The BMS are all suspended on a bridge above the cells.

1634476495311.jpeg

It was a bear to work inside the limited space.

The batteries are in the pan built for the AGMS.

The wooded dividers, well, divide, and provide a brace for the two aluminum angle bars, which, in turn are held down by the black ratchet straps the used to secure the AGMs.

In the first picture in the post above, you can see an orange strap with a ratchet to the left - it provides compression. (Although there is increasing data that prismatic cells don't need that much compression.

Everything looks like love sick octopi. The plywood dividers help keep big things from the terminals, but I will probably cobble up some form of plastic sheet for extra protection.

Replaced all of the bus bars with copper jumpers as the physical lengths varied too much to use the OEM bus bars. All of the jumpers are the same length.

1634476845156.jpeg

Once I got the weak BMS sense wire sorted out, batteries have been rock solid.

Geo.Lander

Little update, we finally have a shipping date and making last minute changes to the layout and design, so many things to think about for sure ?.
Once we have locked in the panel deigns I will post some more CAD drawings to highlight the finished layout :)

I have finished off the electrical planning, solar layout is done and I just ordered all our Victron gear (Multiplus-ii inverter, Lynx shut & distribution setup, Cerbo GX device with screen. I will order the MPPT a bit later).

Battery stuff took a bit longer, and I have ended up starting an import business in the process (under my own brand name), I hope there will be demand (I am importing 24v and 48v models only). For trucks sake I will install 2*5kw batteries with space for 2 more. I have spec'd the batteries myself (reputable prismatic cells, welded terminals, 1C BMS) and they will be fully compliant with VE.Can communication to GX devices providing the same metrics and controls as a native Victron battery with BMS.

I have adjusted the panels a bit, I will be using SUNPOWER 400W SPR-MAX3-400 as below:
1638359052339.jpeg
First sample batch of my new rack mount batteries, the name is Greek ;)
1638358780905.jpeg

Finally we had some time this weekend to head to our little cabin to sit down and finish planning the basic layout, we are currently working on the kitchen with this view this morning:
1638361321305.jpeg

Wyuna

Observer
I can see a decent demand for the server rack sized battery packs, they seem well made, good BMS's and they communicate.

I looked at these, but ended up ordering eight 304ah EVE cells and a few JDB 200amp BMS's as i didn't have the space for the rack sized batteries and my Votronic works fine without using CAN.

can't wait to see your finalised drawings

Geo.Lander

80% of the Victron kit has arrived (I have everything apart from the MPPT and panels) ? I know its expensive but the peace of mind costs I suppose, plus it nice having all the components talk to each other.. The main reason for going for the lynx system is the built in fusing and communications from the shunt is GX native. All the compoents can be fused and bused together without adding multiple fuses inline. Are are some things missing from the Diagram, like PV DC breakers, AC and DC distribution, etc.
Everything will live under the RH side of the u-shaped seating area.

As the truck will be away for6 months from January I will be modeling the electrical and furniture paneling and start building the modules to "slot in" when the truck gets back. Mostly in 2020 profiles (bosch type) clad in 15-18mm ply.
The plan for the electrical box will be a rail system instead of mounting to the walls we will use the full 3 dimensions of the space and build v-slot rails.. that is the plan anyway, I am waiting on the profiles and a alu cutting blade to start a POC on that part..

1639229489075.png

Geo.Lander

I have no idea what your saying, but it sounds cool.

Evidently, I'm going to need to fly you over here to the states to wire my rig...?

This is the first time Im doing anything like this to be honest, I do have a technical background but not in electrical engineering. It is all good fun but I will have certified electrical engineer "tick-off" on everything before hooking up to my AC distro panel..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz