100,000 miles

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Jim could beat me on a Big Wheel...
only after I ate a box of Twinkies and drank a six-pack of Jolt cola.....with my legs pedalling a whirlwind off a sugar and caffeine overdose, I should be able to overtake a 4-banger Taco....

Last edited:

RoundOut

Explorer
Frame rust recall

I got that recall notice too, Jim. I am afraid with no rear cross member and holes up and down my frame for the rock sliders, they would laugh me outta there. I'm not too worried about it because I hardly ever see salt in Texas (only on trips to CO & NM). I'll drop by for an inspection in a few weeks though.

Be blessed.

Oh, by the way - pushing 180,000 now. :Wow1: Still purrs like a kitten (after replacing my headers, that is -- wow was that a noisy fubar when the passenger side header separated at the weld where it meets the Y-pipe.) Oh, and then, a couple weeks later, dead as a doornail after the timing belt broke. I was pissed about that, because I had replaced it on schedule. Not much I could do though. A couple of expensive repairs, but now I have Alpine Tundra almost like new again.

RoundOut

Explorer

Of course if he strikes fast Tango might be able to take you in the Quarter Mile now.

A co-worker of mine rented one of these when he came to Texas (yeah, right... a Mid Size -- you gotta be kidding me). Anyhow, he literally could not do 65 mph on the highway with it floored into a stiff 20-30 mph headwind. He could BARELY do it with a crosswind. Ignoring safety (which may be OK, but I find it hard to imagine), that thing is only good for use by a humble commuter. I wish I was humble enough. LOL

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I got that recall notice too, Jim. I am afraid with no rear cross member and holes up and down my frame for the rock sliders, they would laugh me outta there. I'm not too worried about it because I hardly ever see salt in Texas (only on trips to CO & NM). I'll drop by for an inspection in a few weeks though.

Rosner Toyota didn't care that I still had the skidplates up and the air tank in the framerail. They removed the bed (I noticed one shiny new bed bolt) and the skids, replaced the gas tank straps, and sprayed whatever that black guck is from front to rear. After it finally cures fully, I'm sure it will be protected nicely. The only thing I did before taking the truck in was to disconnect the power wires to the bed light and 12Volt outlet, and drop the extended diff breather into the bumper.....I figured they might have trouble with that.....
Take it in, the worst they can do is laugh you out of town.....
As for the Yar!s.....it's a handful in a crosswind, gets decent mileage but the tank is so small you never get anywhere, the seats are comfortable - but the seating position sucks. My legs were bent up to the steering wheel and it was still a stretch for my arms. I know my legs aren't unusually long - so my arms must be unusually short.
I was ecstatic to get the truck back! Skids, bed and air tank all in place.....
mileage is 177,095....

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Rosner Toyota didn't care that I still had the skidplates up and the air tank in the framerail. They removed the bed (I noticed one shiny new bed bolt) and the skids, replaced the gas tank straps, and sprayed whatever that black guck is from front to rear. After it finally cures fully, I'm sure it will be protected nicely. The only thing I did before taking the truck in was to disconnect the power wires to the bed light and 12Volt outlet, and drop the extended diff breather into the bumper.....I figured they might have trouble with that...

Same experience. I took my Tacoma in for the frame treatment before the SAC. They told me don't do it now - come back after the SAC so we can treat the frame after you've done your modifications. They didn't care what I had done to the truck and I have a factory extension on my frame life. They did a great job, too, applying the coating around all the modifications performed for links, brackets, etc. Get it done for the peace of mind... maybe they'll give you a loaner Camry like they gave me.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I just did a tire rotation on the truck. Since I've purchased the Maxx's I've put on 23,106 miles on them.
Tread depth is at 14/32. I've worn off 5/32.
23106/5 = 4,621.2 miles per 32nd

At this rate, if I keep these to just legal tread depth I have a potential 74,000 mile tire!
Even keeping them to a reasonable 6/32 gets me 60,000 miles.......

Of course, the majority oif these miles are road miles (its a DD remember?) but hopefully that will change now that the trailer is built......

currently sitting at 186,427 miles.....slowly edging up to the 200,000 mile mark......

jim65wagon

TundraBird1

photo courtesy of Mtnbike28

The truck survived another ARSES gathering! Of course since this was a float trip, all it had to do was tow the trailer to camp and lead a big bunch of ARSES through Fredericksburg.

seanpistol

Explorer
excellent thread. I'm interested in a front receiver to mount a winch like you have done. I like your wiring for the front and rear to move the winch around. I'm debating if I would need a second battery to just run a winch, or just plan on keeping a single battery and keeping the truck running when the winch is running. Sounds reasonable to me.

There was something else I wanted to comment on, but 10 pages later it slipped my mind! EDIT: I remember what it was... see two posts below!

Last edited:

wingysataday

Adventurer
It is so much fun having a great reliable truck. I love my Taco and plan to keep it forever and hand it down to my son who is 1 month old. My first truck when I was 16 was a 85 extra cab toyota pickup 4x4, solid front axle! I loved that thing. I'm a toyota lifer.

seanpistol

Explorer
Someone on Tundra Solutions with a front receiver on their double cab says they had to cut the sides of the skid to get it to work together, and now it is a pain in the butt to remove the front 3 screws of the skid when it's time for an oil change. I'm not sure what brand his is, but I saw where you said that your hidden hitch does not interfere with the skid plate? I'm in the market for a front receiver and if it's just a difference in brands and the hidden hitch just works better... Imma go that route!

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
it is a pain in the butt to remove the front 3 screws of the skid when it's time for an oil change. I'm not sure what brand his is, but I saw where you said that your hidden hitch does not interfere with the skid plate? I'm in the market for a front receiver and if it's just a difference in brands and the hidden hitch just works better... Imma go that route!

The part number is 65031 and it is produced by Cequent, which is the parent of Hidden Hitch and Draw Tite (I believe and its the same part number for the different brands) If it looks like this one:
65031.jpg

then it is the same basic brand as mine. It interferes with the center bolt of the skidplate (which I had to leave out), but the outer two bolts work. They are a bit tight to remove, but the skid drops for oil changes without issue and there was no modification needed to the skidplate. Other brands may hang down more or interfere with the skid, but I do not know for sure. If yours is an AC this one will work....

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
As we've been slowly nearing the 200,000 mile milestone on the truck, we've been talking about improvements "necessary" for its continued service. A few thousand miles ago, I noticed the truck was listing......well, it wasn't; rather, I was listing. Maybe I've gained weight on my left side, maybe my brain has grown disproportionately analytical over the years.....maybe I just "sit left". Regardless of the reason, the drivers seat of the Tundra has done a slow collapse. Beth noticed it quickly when she drove the truck and decided an interior upgrade was in order.

Coolio. New stuff for the truck! I'm down with that. We acquired the necessary components from various sources over the last year, and the less snowy weather of the last two weeks gave us the ability to do the install.

The old interior: front and rear bench seats, fold-down console, carpeted floor. All charcoal grey.

The first order of business: Empty the truck. How much stuff can you fit in an Access Cab Tundra?

A lot! The console, doors, rear storage hatches, under the seats, and in the "corners" beside the back seats holds a ton of crap, as you can see.

The seats came out easy-peasy. Just unbolt and lift. A few little extras had to be unbolted - the seat slide, seat belts, sill plates, etc

Beth pulled the seat belt latches from the old seats, while I was removing the few little extras

The old carpet pulled out. You can see the 10 years of kid spilled soda, mud stains, beach sand, oh...and the watermelon we took to Cape Lookout - it busted in half at some point and sat in the August sun for about 3 days before we realized we had brought a watermelon to the beach. What you're not getting in this picture is the smell of the carpet padding......no wonder I was using a lot of air fresheners....

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
The floor itself was clean, and quickly ready for some attention

We installed a small layer of ThermoTec insulation/sound deadener over the bare metal portions

Then came the flooring. The one item I wanted from day one purchasing this truck was a vinyl or rubber floor. No Way Jose. An internet search for vinyl flooring for a Tundra was nearly fruitless. WLS Headliners was the one place I found. We laid it out in the sun until it was nice and warm, placed it in the truck, and after some time moving, trimming and cursing, it was in. Granted, the molding does not perfectly conform to the trucks myriad of bumps, curves and outcroppings, but this was as close as I could get.

Beth recovered the rear seat with a neoprene seat cover we ordered from Cabelas, and I installed the new Rugged Ridge center console from 4Wheel Parts.

I did have to modify the front cupholders. The originals are not deep enough to hold a bottle, or drink from a fast food place at all. A bump in the road would tip them right out. A few pieces of wood, some glue and black paint made a cupholder with depth, enough to hold a real drink while actually driving down a real rough road.

The front seats were also from 4wheel Parts.....what can I say, they were having a Christmas sale on everything and free shipping.....can't really go wrong there. They are the Corbeau Moabs, along with Corbeaus "made for Tundras" seat brackets. The seats are nice, the brackets are less than impressive. The welds are boogers, the bracket legs are misaligned. Enough to cause trouble, not enough to cause a product return. After the not-so-easy-peasy install, they look nice. And they match the rear seat cover nicely.

After reinstalling the seatbelts and sill plates, it looks like everything is new again.

The seats have a nice feel to them. They sit nice, and level. The brackets make them sit lower to the floor than the original seats though. It's not uncomfortable. They don't put you in a straight legged, boy racer position; they're just not as tall and chair-like as the Toyotas. They feel like a cross between a Tundra's seat and a first gen Tacoma's seat.

That's that. A new interior at 195,500 miles. Hmmmm.......I wonder how long these will last?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles