Will I Fit into any Midsized Trucks? Tall People Problems...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I don’t know what it is with Nissan but I can’t get warmed up to any of their offerings. They make nice trucks. I loved the concept of the Xterra’s and liked they offered manual transmissions in the newest generations. I don’t know if it’s their styling, awkward interiors, or combination of various factors, but I have never been lured by any of their trucks.

Now, if they bring over the Patrol..........
I couldn’t agree more. We rented an Xterra for a few days when our van broke down on a trip years ago. It allowed us to get way further off road than we had planned but still, I just couldn’t get into that truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a 2003 Supercharged Xterra. I liked it for the 6 months I owned it until the head gasket blew out. I don't mind the new 2020 Titan when it's in that tan color in Pro 4x guise. However.... I like pretty much every other full size truck more... The new Armada looks good in that copper / brown color. But, we don't need an SUV that big.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
OP, this isn't a problem I've struggled with personally (being perfectly sized at 5'7"), but I used to do a LOT of open-cockpit and single-seat car racing where this is a real issue for a LOT of people. This is a solvable problem, if you're willing to do a little work.

Safety/Tech inspectors are (rightfully) rigid about proper helmet clearance below the roof or roll-bar line. I've raced with 6'4" guys who managed to get the requisite helmet clearance in everything from a Miata to a Euroswift or Van Diemen Formula Ford. The difference is that you can't just leave the stock seat alone and hope for the best:

In either case, you need to get the rear of the seating surface as low as possible. Sometimes on a Miata simply removing one of the two layers of foam from the back end of the seat was enough to drop a driver down. Other guys had to either remove a couple of the jump rings on the springs and replace them with longer links, which essentially let the springs "sag" a little bit for the same effect.

If you're long of leg, you may be able to get more aftward seat travel by modifying the mounting brackets to use offset spacers.

If you're long of torso, you may need to actually raise the front-edge of the seat a little and slide it a bit more forward than you would expect - this gives you more support to drive with a more bended-leg and reclined position which will get the top of your head farther from the windshield and roof. (This assumes you have long-enough arms and/or telescoping steering wheel.)

If those mods aren't going to do it, look into a fully or partially custom replacement seat. Get a lower-profile seat and custom brackets. Unless your rear-end is on the floor and your back is against the rear bulkhead, you can always go lower and farther aft!

My last open-wheel car was a '93 Euroswift built for a teenagers who were working their way up the Formula ladder. To make the "seat" for my middle-aged body, we temporarily lined the roll-cage with cardboard, sat me down directly on the access panel for the fuel cell on top of a "plastic bag", and poured in a high-density two-part foam around me. After some trimming, a cloth cover, and the addition of a 1/2" camping mat, it was a very comfortable solution. Here you can see the foam still squishing up into the bag around the top of my helmet. A lot of the top portion got trimmed away to accommodate the HANS device, but this was literally molded to my body and therefore VERY comfortable.
swift_seat.jpg swift_seat2.jpg

EDIT: I should note that a 6'1" "kid" was able to drive in this car's sister chassis by using some of the techniques I mentioned. That guy was fast and "skinny" enough that he was running ballast blocks (~30lbs of lead) - they positioned them forward of his rear-end to form a little raised "front edge" of a seat with his knees bent more sharply. IIRC they had to raise his steering wheel up a bit to accommodate, but the net result was that his butt was actually 4-5" farther forward than mine in the same chassis so that they could get him really reclined.

tennesseewj

Observer
I feel your struggle OP. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam. Even though I only weigh 165 pounds, I still find modern midsizes to be a little cramped. My first truck was a '96 Tacoma extended cab and even though it was tiny I didn't find the cab as claustrophobic as the modern Tacoma or Colorado/Canyon platform.

I've yet to drive a newer midsize truck that made me want to plop down the $30k+ that they command.

Cab space was a big factor in the purchase of my first gen Tundra over a second or third gen Tacoma. I hope I don't have to replace it any time soon because I really like the size compared to new half tons.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

F350joe

Another 6’4 person here to whine about how we have been forgotten even though our number keep growing, thanks milk.

if there is a vehicle you really like but cant fit it in, look into after market seats and/or seat risers.

I had the same issue looking for a mid sized SUV. I ended up in an older gx470 rather than newer gx460 because it just felt better. On paper it should not have mattered but when you are in the seat for hours like, we tend to do, comfort is very important. Just saying it maybe worthwhile to go a little older and the spend a few grand on nice seats.

Lucky3

I am 6’5” tall and have another vote for Chevy Colorado. I have a 2020 bison and have plenty of room. I can even get a shorter person to fit in the seat behind me without being super uncomfortable.

56269e82144806d0a1e22f2b54d949df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

I've never felt comfortable is an Asian pickup, they are all way to low in the seat for me. But I find old Rangers incredibly comfortable even over 600 mile days. I love Tacomas till I sit in one. Even the new Tundra I cannot get into without hurting my 65 year old body. I'm sure I'd find the Colorado equally comfortable to the Ranger. but given the few plusses of a midsize, I'd rather buy a full size, short box, regular cab anyday.

Guaranteed, this is a no compromize fit.

1993-ford-f-150-xlt-4wd-short-box-swb-automatic-regular-cab-1.jpeg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I’m 6’8” and I fit comfortably in my wife’s 2019 Colorado ZR2. There’s a lot of room in the front seat!
Once you're in there but it's getting in there that's the issue for me. My wife and I both bumped our heads getting into the Ranger and the Colorado.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've never felt comfortable is an Asian pickup, they are all way to low in the seat for me. But I find old Rangers incredibly comfortable even over 600 mile days. I love Tacomas till I sit in one. Even the new Tundra I cannot get into without hurting my 65 year old body. I'm sure I'd find the Colorado equally comfortable to the Ranger. but given the few plusses of a midsize, I'd rather buy a full size, short box, regular cab anyday.

Guaranteed, this is a no compromize fit.

View attachment 616586
The Tundra fits me pretty well but I agree on the seat positioning of Japanese branded trucks. The seating position reminds me of sitting in a small beach chair in the sand. My knees are way higher than my hips. The Tacoma's get shot down year after year for that. If they just raise the roof some they can get the seats off the floor more.

nickw

Adventurer
Hello,

I am 6'4" and getting very frustrated about my vehicle search.

I currently have 4runner but desperately want to get a truck for a small pop up camper, as I find them super versatile and need something relatively small as I live in CO and actually do wheel a lot on small mining roads in the mountains.

I sat in a tacoma and ranger yesterday. Did not come close to fitting in either.

Are there any good off road trucks that I am missing? Really frustrated that I cant find something I am comfortable in.

Thanks
Find it hard to believe you 'didn't come close' to fitting in a Ranger - I'm the same height as you with long legs and fit fine in mine and don't even have the seat in the full rearward position. I'd also add I have the seat in a relatively high position, with it lowered I have lots of headroom and my hair is fairly tall...

FWIW I couldn't stand the seated position in the Tacoma.

85_Ranger4x4

Find it hard to believe you 'didn't come close' to fitting in a Ranger - I'm the same height as you with long legs and fit fine in mine and don't even have the seat in the full rearward position. I'd also add I have the seat in a relatively high position, with it lowered I have lots of headroom and my hair is fairly tall...

Same here, 6'-3" and gobs of room in a '19 if I don't care about back seat legroom/carseat room.

YetiX

Another vote for the Colorado/Canyon. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room. I too had a 4Runner and hit my head on the roof every bump. It really hurt if I had my sunglasses on top of my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior