Ram air vs centrifical prefilter

gnel

I have a new to me snorkel on my turbo diesel pickup. It has the ram air head on it. I like the idea of more air but I don´t like the idea of dust,bugs,rain and snow getting forced down the pipe clogging the filter. So what say yee turn the ram air around (when applicable) or get a centrifical pumpkin?

Thanks for any responses.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Dust prefilter
1573507096872.jpeg

There is no ram air effect. All force is lost in the long hose run. Last snorkel that I made had a wall that could be removed, so the engine didn't have to breath through a straw on road.

billiebob

Why did you install a snorkel ? They offer zero performance advantage over the factory setup. Technically they raise the intake point for fording rivers but I've seen guys going incredibly deep with the factory under hood intake.

If I bought a vehicle with a snorkel my first free mod would be take it off.... second free mod.... throw out the angry eyes.

gnel

Why did you install a snorkel ? They offer zero performance advantage over the factory setup. Technically they raise the intake point for fording rivers but I've seen guys going incredibly deep with the factory under hood intake.

If I bought a vehicle with a snorkel my first free mod would be take it off.... second free mod.... throw out the angry eyes.

Good for you and your freeway queen. I live in tropical Mexico most of my driving is on either dirt or muddy roads with plenty of deep water crossings. Save your comments for your other snorkel haters?.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
They are good for farm tractors. They run a steady speed, usually near full RPM. They can be sized to match that airflow so there is both enough air for the engine and enough speed for the centrifical to function. Try and size one for a regular truck and you can get it large enough to be a prefilter at full throttle but at part throttle the airflow won't be enough to have the velocity to work. Size it to work are normal driving loads, it will choke at full throttle. I say go large so you don't choke and will mall crawler points.

gnel

They are good for farm tractors. They run a steady speed, usually near full RPM. They can be sized to match that airflow so there is both enough air for the engine and enough speed for the centrifical to function. Try and size one for a regular truck and you can get it large enough to be a prefilter at full throttle but at part throttle the airflow won't be enough to have the velocity to work. Size it to work are normal driving loads, it will choke at full throttle. I say go large so you don't choke and will mall crawler points.

Thanks for the informed reply! Good info!

billiebob

I don´t like the idea of dust,bugs,rain and snow getting forced down the pipe clogging the filter
Sorry, I thought I was replying to this question. I never knew
I live in tropical Mexico most of my driving
tropical Mexico got snow.

You must be a troll, keep track of what you say if you want to be popular..... And click ignore. WOW that work well.

(none)

Adventurer
I had both on my JK. The ram air, facing forward, did exactly what you'd think it'd do. Rammed a bunch of dirt and bugs into the airfilter. I switched to the "mushroom head" with the internal fan, worked fantastic. Kept the filter MUCH cleaner.

I still have the head, fits a 4" snorkel, if anyone wants it...

85_Ranger4x4

Cleaner air.

I don't have one on a truck (I have four tractors with them) but that is why they are so popular in arid areas. Air is cleaner 5-6' off the ground than 2-3'.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I ran a FACTORY Toyota snorkel on my 75 series Troopy and used the Donaldson centrifuge prefilter, it was great in our desert DUST.
I never did deep water crossings but I could see the amount of dirt/bugs/dust in the prefilter and a couple of times I took it off and did a trail and there was a visible difference in the air filter by end of day.

gnel

Sorry, I thought I was replying to this question. I never knew

tropical Mexico got snow.

You must be a troll, keep track of what you say if you want to be popular..... And click ignore. WOW that work well.

You obviously don´t know jack about Mexican geography. Plus I never said I don´t ever leave Mexico. Last reply for me SNORKEL HATER:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

gnel

I ran a FACTORY Toyota snorkel on my 75 series Troopy and used the Donaldson centrifuge prefilter, it was great in our desert DUST.
I never did deep water crossings but I could see the amount of dirt/bugs/dust in the prefilter and a couple of times I took it off and did a trail and there was a visible difference in the air filter by end of day.

Good to hear! Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior