Goodyear G275 MSA 335/80R20 Tires - Where to buy and how expensive?

Steve_382

My biggest worry about getting something on the F550 chassis like a Turtle or some of the other expedition campers is trying to purchase the military spec tires used on them. What happens if you are in Wyoming or North Dakota and need tires? Doesn't seem like you can just go to the local Discount Tire dealer and find these babies. That issue alone is enough to make me want to stay in something on the F350 chassis. I would also think just getting an oil change and other service would be much easier on the smaller chassis. Thanks for any input.

MNmtb

I had similar Questions and I received this info

Having come from owning an SMB for 8yrs, pretty much everything in the ER is more difficult and expensive - oil changes on the 6.7 diesel are like $200-300, and if you want to keep it in best possible condition the recommended is about every 3-4k miles, so you can do the math. The 41" MPTs and Hutchinson rims are they're own little project as well - you can't just roll into your local tire shop to have them balanced, rotated...unless you want to roll the dice and then risk some resulting issue in a place where help or a tow might be unavailable. Also 95% of shops won't touch a 41" tire on a beadlock rim and most won't have the rack required to get a 16-18k lbs rig up, so you likely will need a truck tire or RV shop. So be prepared to qualify up front the shop/tech right when you walk in the door to save yourself and them a bunch of wasted time and energy. There are a few owners who have the time/skill to do rotations, etc themselves, but the Hutchinson's take extra time and have some unique quirks you need to be aware of (O-rings, leaky bolts, adapters, etc.). However, this adds cost compared to standard rig you can take to any tire shop. The only other system on the rig that is somewhat unique, but critical to operation, is the Accuair suspension system. I carry 1 extra airbag and tank pressure sensor, as those have failed in the field before. I've had no issues, but a few other owners have so better safe than sorry.

EDIT: Also, join the ER owners forum and spend some time there. Several owners have posted about ongoing costs.

I wouldn’t want the airbags- too many failure modes.
But Hutchinson wheels are wonderful. Can be disassembled by hand, internal beadlock easily removed and installed. Just carry some extra O-rings.
As far as tires my policy is carry a spare mounted tire/wheel plus an unmounted tire - at least!
There’s many specific alternatives with the tires: Goodyear G275, Pirellis, Continental MPT81s, and now Michelin has a 150K with load capacity 7370 lb at 68 mph. Who’s going to exceed 14740 lb on rear axle on a 19500 lb gvw truck?

gregmchugh

Observer
Suggest you check with a local Goodyear Commercial Tire dealer and ask about the availability of that tire to see how long it would take to get them.

I think the G275 is a standard medium duty truck tire that is also used by the military. Our GXV Kenworth uses the larger G278 which is also used by the military but is available as a standard commercial tire.

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
I believe they are around $650 a tire. The Pirellis have a date code of 2011! something to be aware of. I also don't think the tire change is as easy as you are making it out to be. They are heavy.

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I believe they are around $650 a tire. The Pirellis have a date code of 2011! something to be aware of. I also don't think the tire change is as easy as you are making it out to be. They are heavy.
100% - disassembly is not as simple as undoing the 24 bolts, you still have to break the bead. It truly is wrestling with a 200lb filthy thing. Leave tire spoons are needed as well, that or heavy equipment.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Everything is relative. Ever try to re-assemble a 3 piece rim with an internal beadlock? It is impossible without a giant hydraulic press, or some kind of Rube Goldberg trickery. Whereas a bolt-together rim with an internal beadlock CAN be done with just muscle power and normal, big hand tools. Not that doing anything with a 320 lb assembly is fun.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Give Colony Tire in Norfolk, VA a call. They buy truckloads of used/new military tires and sell them on Ebay. I recently purchased a new set of Continental HSC 14-R20's for 400 bucks a piece!! At a retail store, new, they sell for around 1500 a piece. Date code is 2014, but stored indoors, good enough for me! The Steel Soldiers website forum highly recommends these guys too.

lucilius

+1 on charlieaarons’ comments. I don’t know if you are committed/restricted to a beadlock 335/80/20 on your 550 chassis (camper?) but another, easily sourced and maintained, option that Ive been using successfully is a 315/80R22.5. I have a custom leaf and coil suspension (Pohl Springworks in Spokane will build based on your rig’s spec and put it all together very professionally) on my F550 and use Continental 315/80r22.5 HDR2+ (summer) and HDW2 (winter). I have 8 Alcoa wheels I swap seasonally. They are relatively easy to find in stock, not too expensive new, very easy to order, try Pete’s tire store on the web. Performance-wise, the weight rating and speed rating of the Conti 315/80’s are higher than the 335/80 options (not that the 335/80 are inadequate in either respect on most rigs I’ve seen), the winter tire traction on snow and especially ice is excellent. I would be very interested to see much of a difference in offroad performance between my setup and another ~16-18k lbs 550 camper using a 335/80r20...given ~equal drivers, the suspension capability as well as vehicle weight/size might be more important factors limiting mobility: i wouldnt expect to see a significant offroad advantage either way, unless we are talking about unchained driving in snow/icy conditions where a softer compound siped-tire really works well.

Last edited:

loup407

Adventurer
We owned an ER for several years and went through a few sets of Conti tires. You are correct, Discount Tire, etc., is of little help. However, there are a couple of people selling MPT tires, including MPTTires.com and I never found getting a set, or one, to be much of a problem, other than not cheap. The continental tire distributor is also amazingly helpful, and I think many ER owners had a distributor contact info handy.
Most ER owners have figured out who does know how to install these (besides ER).
In the years we owned our rig, it wasn't an issue. YMMV

My biggest worry about getting something on the F550 chassis like a Turtle or some of the other expedition campers is trying to purchase the military spec tires used on them. What happens if you are in Wyoming or North Dakota and need tires? Doesn't seem like you can just go to the local Discount Tire dealer and find these babies. That issue alone is enough to make me want to stay in something on the F350 chassis. I would also think just getting an oil change and other service would be much easier on the smaller chassis. Thanks for any input.

vovka1

This is not to old of a thread
I am in process of installing 22.5 wheels on my f450 camper with 295/75. I felt that 315/80 was a big to big. These are 40 inches and rated to hold 6300 pounds if ran as singles. I am using 22.5x9 flare face alcoa wheels both front and rear.
Reason I when with 22.5 and 295 is if I even need a tire in the middle of nowhere chances are it's going to be available. Heck I can probobly find one on the shoulder on a freeway lol.
When. I started my research of lifting the camper a d was looking for military wheels and tires couple things that I didn't like.
Wheels, adapters with beadlocks and all that hardware seem to be very heavy and not that easy to find local. If not local then shipping them is not cheap.
Tires are pretty much a special order continental or good year and one cost more then the other. If u buy used or old new stock they are going to have an older manufacturing date. I really didn't like that.
How long they will last. I hear goodyears will go for 55k but some p say they get a little more then 20k out of continental tires. These semi tires that cost much less will out last both put together (online research)
Now one more thing I was scared about as much as I like to think that my HUGE rv f450 is super cool with 3inches + of lift and 40 inch tires and ready for off-road it's main road will be paved almost perfectly. Maybe 20% will be on gravel roads to get to those remote hot springs. So having a big rig on pavement most of the time ppl say continental tires can over heat and start to delaminate. That scares me a bit.

Now I chose an open shoulder semi tire with pretty aggressive tread they looks pretty good.
4 new tires 1400
4 new aluminum 50 pound wheels 1200
Adapters to mount the wheels also 1250.

Not cheap but I think also not as expensive hopefully to last longer and be lighter in the process.
And let's face it semi tires are ment to be On road where the rv will spend most of it's time.
Btw I have a thread about my build on here if u want to look it up.

Adapters will be in Monday so after alignment I should know how if will ride with massive 40 inch tires.

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_194344.jpg
    IMG_20210128_194344.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 217

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior