Rotopax - Is there something better I should be using?

I am investigating fuel storage. I want to keep at least 8 gal extra outside the vehicle. I looked at the Rotopax 4Gal fuel containers with Locking Mounts. I can attach these to a mount that lays flat on my roof rack (FrontRunner Slimline II). There seems to be a decent amount of people complaining that the locks however rust out as they aren't protected from the elements. I didn't see a ready made cover either (I realize I could use a piece of tarp or something but wouldn't be as nice as a fitted cover. I also thought of doubling the fuel containers on a single mount, but to do that I would need the extension kit, and my understanding is that if you use the extension kit then basically nothing stops people from just being able to twist it off and take your fuel......even with the locking mount apparently the extension kit makes that just for show, it doesn't actually provide real protection.

Do you all lock your fuel? Do you use Rotopax or recommend I look at another alternative? I could use jerry cans with a locking mount but those would have a higher profile.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Use jerry cans. I do not lock my fuel cans, don't keep them on the car all the time. I have a basket for 4 on the roof. You are probably better served with 2 cans on a swingout and a locking bar.

Use jerry cans. I do not lock my fuel cans, don't keep them on the car all the time. I have a basket for 4 on the roof. You are probably better served with 2 cans on a swingout and a locking bar.

Swingout would be nice, but I am not upgrading my rear bumper for at least another 6 months.

outback97

Adventurer
I am investigating fuel storage. I want to keep at least 8 gal extra outside the vehicle. I looked at the Rotopax 4Gal fuel containers with Locking Mounts. I can attach these to a mount that lays flat on my roof rack (FrontRunner Slimline II). There seems to be a decent amount of people complaining that the locks however rust out as they aren't protected from the elements. I didn't see a ready made cover either (I realize I could use a piece of tarp or something but wouldn't be as nice as a fitted cover. I also thought of doubling the fuel containers on a single mount, but to do that I would need the extension kit, and my understanding is that if you use the extension kit then basically nothing stops people from just being able to twist it off and take your fuel......even with the locking mount apparently the extension kit makes that just for show, it doesn't actually provide real protection.

Do you all lock your fuel? Do you use Rotopax or recommend I look at another alternative? I could use jerry cans with a locking mount but those would have a higher profile.

I like the low profile aspect of the Rotopax, and I got a good deal on mine so that's what I went with. I have never felt the need to lock them up, but then again I'm not driving around with them unless I need them for a trip. And they're not used on trips that take me to places with a lot of people.

You don't have to use their mounting bits. With a little creativity you can come up with other options. See this thread on the 2nd Gen Xterra forum:

_OKf2nlGfS1MzZfx7Nba0Ef1_lts--7qyu9OX4CQXNNhLRX5JxZw8ylNElZEBnMkQkXFoZ10FGiUXiW0WDVjjfFI8OAXI-2KCOLL2tFwfuSQryxyUKdYfNGVDBI1IPRyqd5thJu2oA

Currently playing around with a 3D printed version.

BmEb62Zctati7FV66TZ7NpqLueR5Ft5SVqFzGPB6f7rX7fZGPVIgmEZNNh7BOT5MMyW6f-LGcJmdIJG8cHLSjxSJgElXz2qEl3GLKyz-TsiDm1htSEFbiytv7LTnabJYoa74dL-bxg=w2400

Reactions: MCX
@outback97 thanks for the tips. 3d printing sounds like a really cool idea! If I don't "lock" my Rotopax, then I could go with their new FuelPax line, which includes mounting hardware. It's made cheaper than Rotopax though so I don't know if thats a good idea, and it doesn't support the locking mount.

WOODY2

Adventurer
You do realize that you don't have to leave the lock in full time right? It is possible to drive without them and if stopping somewhere sketchy pop the lock(s) in. A good cable lock would also work.

Winterpeg

I use 2 rotopax large jerry cans on my bumper. I really like having them. It has simplified my life.

I use the extension and then use the locking handles. It works just fine.

I don't leave them on all the time, but they have been on for a number of days/weeks at a time when I've been actively using my FJ.

The locks work perfectly fine and I don't understand when you say that using the extension negates the lock...? When it's locked, it's locked.

As Woody says above, the locks don't have to be in full time either.... but I would leave them in as I don't want to forget.

Treating them once in a while with WD40.... my locks still look pristine.

dreadlocks

reviews on rotopax locking mounts seem fairly terrible, it dont look like they used stainless steel or anything corrosion resistant so there are many many reports of people being forced to drill the lock out to recover their fuel.. may be location dependent on exposure to salt stuff and if you leave em exposed to the elements every day.

@Winterpeg the extension can just be twisted off, rendering the lock useless. There is a lot of information on this on the forums. I think since you have the large cans, if you are using two mounts then you may not have this issue. Here is a video showing what I am talking about:

From Rotopax's FAQ: https://rotopax.com/faq.html

Q: Do the Locking Pax Mounts work with Extensions? A: Locking pax mounts will work to secure the can in place but the top can can be rotated removing the can and the locking “T” handle. (Locking pax mounts are recommended for cans that are not stacked)

The quality of the locks seem to be an issue:
Rotopax locking handle failure
Rotopax Lock Seized
Rotopax Lock
RotopaX lock failure

I may just get a set of the big Rotopax and dual deluxe mounts for each. I would try their FuelPax, but those will not fit the FrontRunner mount without modification. I could use the Rotopax universal mount as that supports FuelPax, but I can't tell if the spacing on the mount would line up with a FrontRunner rack rail spacing, if anyone knows please advise.

roving1

I personally would try to get real sceptor cans if you can and if you can't just metal jerricans. Rotopax cost so much money and while the low profile is nice only holding 4 or 8 gallons is kind of lame.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I run some bike cable locks on my little Jerry cans. You might consider something like that to lock your Rotopax containers (and I can run the cable through my Kolpin plastic gas container up front too if I want).503626

Last edited:

Winterpeg

@Winterpeg the extension can just be twisted off, rendering the lock useless. There is a lot of information on this on the forums. I think since you have the large cans, if you are using two mounts then you may not have this issue. Here is a video showing what I am talking about:

"video"
From Rotopax's FAQ: https://rotopax.com/faq.html

Q: Do the Locking Pax Mounts work with Extensions? A: Locking pax mounts will work to secure the can in place but the top can can be rotated removing the can and the locking “T” handle. (Locking pax mounts are recommended for cans that are not stacked)

The quality of the locks seem to be an issue:
Rotopax locking handle failure
Rotopax Lock Seized
Rotopax Lock
RotopaX lock failure

I may just get a set of the big Rotopax and dual deluxe mounts for each. I would try their FuelPax, but those will not fit the FrontRunner mount without modification. I could use the Rotopax universal mount as that supports FuelPax, but I can't tell if the spacing on the mount would line up with a FrontRunner rack rail spacing, if anyone knows please advise.

Ahh... yes. Since mine are the longer ones and I use 2 sets of handles and locks it's not an issue.

They use road salt around here a fair bit.... and we do experience some pretty adverse weather.

That being said... I do not leave them on 24/7.... I don't need to be "expedition ready" on a moment's notice. I put them on when I go wheeling or on trips and then of course when I go camping.

This will be the 3rd year now that I've had them and I've had nothing but good things to say about them so far.
I didn't expect the need to "burp" them but I guess that's standard with plastic cans in the heat and/or going up in elevation.
I do use WD40 on the locks as well as stated previously..... to look at them now they look new.
The handles themselves are pretty sturdy. I would recommend the deluxe ones so you can tighten them easier though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior