Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

balu4k

Adventurer
I am adding LED strip light to the RTT. i am going with a RGB led with controller and remote. the controller will be hidden inside a small box which has usb and cigarette outlet inside the tent to charge any small electronics.

still debating weather to have the led lights on the center support or on the support above the head when in sleep position. advantage of having it above the head is i can use it as reading light too.

20151105_222826.jpg

20151105_223203.jpg

20151105_223229.jpg

Lucky j

Explorer
You could have both.

I have set the top bar with 1 swith and the four corner lights with an other switch.

Top one for general set-up in the tent, lower ones for reading and night wake ups

DSC01602 by Luc Levesque, sur Flickr

Box Rocket

Be careful with those bungees. Sometimes the tension can pull the seams enough that it will start to separate the waterproof tape on the seams.

Lucky j

Explorer
Be careful with those bungees. Sometimes the tension can pull the seams enough that it will start to separate the waterproof tape on the seams.

This was already talked about on this tread I beleive. But in my case, neve ad any problems, as they is just enough tension on them to pull toward the center and tje tension is pretty much none once the tent is folded down.

But thank any how.

stingray1300

Explorer

So Adam, if some of the waterproofing tape comes loose, what is one to do? I don't do the bungees the way LuckyJ does, but the way they were intended to be used. (Before I give a call to Santa Cruz)
Thanks!

Box Rocket

So Adam, if some of the waterproofing tape comes loose, what is one to do? I don't do the bungees the way LuckyJ does, but the way they were intended to be used. (Before I give a call to Santa Cruz)
Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure what the solution is but I would expect that some waterproof tape could be reapplied. I'll do some digging.

teotwaki

Excelsior!

Do canvas tents have waterproof tape on the seams? I do know that tape is used with waterproof shells such as Goretex. My Camping Labs/Mombasa tent does not have tape on the seams.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Tepui tents do.

Thanks. I know that taped seams are used with Goretex garments to prevent the thread at the seams from wicking in water. It seems that Tepui applies a silcone based waterproofing treatment to their canvas so they added the tape to the tent seams. It is likely that not all RTTs have waterproofed canvas or taped seams so the elastic tensioning cords are a non issue for them..

Box Rocket

Thanks. I know that taped seams are used with Goretex garments to prevent the thread at the seams from wicking in water. It seems that Tepui applies a silcone based waterproofing treatment to their canvas so they added the tape to the tent seams. It is likely that not all RTTs have waterproofed canvas or taped seams so the elastic tensioning cords are a non issue for them..
That could be the case with other brands that don't have the waterproofing features. For those people, feel free to use the bungees and hopefully no leaks. :)

yotes65

Observer
I've always taken my dogs with me camping... however they were always small enough to lift up into the tent. The 1st week of this past August I'd adopted another pup. Only this time she is a 3 yr. 90 lb. Rottweiler. Way too much for this old man to lift up & down as needed. So I decided to make a ramp to place over the ladder for her to go in & out as needed. I remove the ramp & move the ladder back into a support position for me to get in the tent. I'm thinking about contacting Tepui to see about purchasing a 2nd ladder that I could add & remove to the other side. I would leave it connected while at camp for Sara to enter & leave as she needs... of course it will be removed during transport. :)

20151018_080115_HDR_zpshahjosqr.jpg

20151018_203108_HDR_zpshcl2rm7o.jpg

compactcamping

Explorer
So Adam, if some of the waterproofing tape comes loose, what is one to do? I don't do the bungees the way LuckyJ does, but the way they were intended to be used. (Before I give a call to Santa Cruz).
Thanks!

Rip, Most seam tapes are heat activated, no way to reapply it. If an area comes loose, the fix we use is the cut out the bad section,then seam seal with McNett / Gear Aid Seam Grip. This is what we were using to seal the occasional problem seams on RTTs before factory seam taping was common place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior