Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

MTSN

Explorer
I would make a trip out of it and go pick it up if your schedule and budget allows.

That was my original plan, but my schedule doesn't allow unfortunately. I have a few big/long trips scheduled for this year, so I'm burning all the free time I have already.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Looking for more general photos and reports of how the J30 is holding up to the winter temps, snow, and heavy rain this winter. I was all set on the Habitat, but being from the northwest, the J30 seems like a way better option for year around camping, no matter the weather up here. I'm going north to check one out in person this weekend. Also very interested in the ability to plumb a Propex heater tube up into the J30 from the rear cargo area of a Jeep, without having to keep a J30 hatch off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Looking for more general photos and reports of how the J30 is holding up to the winter temps, snow, and heavy rain this winter. I was all set on the Habitat, but being from the northwest, the J30 seems like a way better option for year around camping, no matter the weather up here. I'm going north to check one out in person this weekend. Also very interested in the ability to plumb a Propex heater tube up into the J30 from the rear cargo area of a Jeep, without having to keep a J30 hatch off.

I don't think I ever posted pictures, but I spent one night in the parking lot at Timberline lodge last winter when the temps were 20-30F and blowing at least 20 knots with precip. A little bit of snow but also a bit of freezing rain. I was by myself and slept in my mammoth sleeping bag. The snowplow woke me up in the early hours and I was sweating when I woke up. My body heat kept the J30 nice and toasty. I woke up and got dressed so they could clean up the lot. It was cold when I removed the panel to the cab! I knocked off the thin layer of ice from the front of the jeep, the struts and the sunbrella fabric and closed the top. Zero problems. Drove back down to hillsboro. I did stop at Government Camp to break the ice off of the rubber seal since it hadn't sealed up well and I could hear a faint whistle. After that, silent.

I had that thing in driving rain and wind, and ice and snow. Always warm and dry and comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the Jeep still fit my needs. I loved the habitat too, but like you I was concerned about the wet cold conditions. If you're okay with less space, I don't think you'll regret it.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback, as always! I'm not opposed to a really good sleeping bag solution and/or additional blankets, but I do sleep really cold and want to camp in any weather, since I've really got no choice up here in the NW. I still want to explore the possibility of a propane heating solution.

SLOfizz

Observer
You absolutely do not need a heater. For the space taken up by the heater and fuel tank, you could store 2 down comforters and your sleeping bag. Better for the environment and you never have to worry about fuel. You can run the car and heater with a panel removed and warm of the tent too. I have done it a few times to warm it up before climbing in and changing as you are taking off your clothes. I also have remote start and did in the morning once. Keep it Simple.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I agree. Honestly after sleeping, your body heat will heat up the small space. There is a notable difference in temp when you remove a panel. If it's really a concern get remote start if you have an auto.
You could always run a propex and trim the cushions but I don't think you'll feel the need.

jeepovich

Explorer
It retains heat remarkably well. Unlike tents or Habitat, J30 has insulated roof. As mentioned before, you can tell big difference in temperatures when you move from "the bedroom" to the cab.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
No auto, it will be a 6spd manual transmission. I did get to crawl around in a second gen J30 camper today for the first time (been in a Habitat a few times). I was extremely impressed with the build quality of the J30. Lots and lots of attention to detail and it smelled like a high end yacht inside...probably the gelcoat on the interior but I really liked it. I can see not needing a heater up there, the space it tight and would heat up real quick. That doesn't keep me from wanting some additional heat up there. When I say I hate the cold and I sleep cold, I speak from experience because I've known myself for a relatively long time. Kinda leaning toward a 12v socket up in the camper and an electric blanket.

SLOfizz

Observer
No auto, it will be a 6spd manual transmission. I did get to crawl around in a second gen J30 camper today for the first time (been in a Habitat a few times). I was extremely impressed with the build quality of the J30. Lots and lots of attention to detail and it smelled like a high end yacht inside...probably the gelcoat on the interior but I really liked it. I can see not needing a heater up there, the space it tight and would heat up real quick. That doesn't keep me from wanting some additional heat up there. When I say I hate the cold and I sleep cold, I speak from experience because I've known myself for a relatively long time. Kinda leaning toward a 12v socket up in the camper and an electric blanket.

Better dual battery that set-up. Sure, you might sleep nice, but waking up to a dead battery in the middle of nowhere......

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Yep, that's the plan. Along with solar and the micro start I carry. If all else fails, I should have a mountain bike with me.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
An electric blanket may work well. My wife sleeps very cold, and with both of us she was always very warm (using a mammoth sleeping bag). However she never slept in it alone.

I initially wanted a habitat myself. I looked at a couple and was kind of unimpressed with the final presentation and poor sealing of the tent etc. I looked at a J30 just to be sure and made up my mind immediately, it just seemed so much better put together. That and AT was really not very helpful or responsive when I talked to them (or tried to).

MizMoosie

Observer
I'm heading to Ursa Minor on March 12 from the frozen tundra of northern Wisconsin for installation of a J30 on my 2014 JKUR.

-24F this AM. Needless to say, I'm taking the southern route. I might be thawed out by the time I get there. :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I don't think I ever posted pictures, but I spent one night in the parking lot at Timberline lodge last winter when the temps were 20-30F and blowing at least 20 knots with precip. A little bit of snow but also a bit of freezing rain. I was by myself and slept in my mammoth sleeping bag. The snowplow woke me up in the early hours and I was sweating when I woke up. My body heat kept the J30 nice and toasty. I woke up and got dressed so they could clean up the lot. It was cold when I removed the panel to the cab! I knocked off the thin layer of ice from the front of the jeep, the struts and the sunbrella fabric and closed the top. Zero problems. Drove back down to hillsboro. I did stop at Government Camp to break the ice off of the rubber seal since it hadn't sealed up well and I could hear a faint whistle. After that, silent.

I had that thing in driving rain and wind, and ice and snow. Always warm and dry and comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the Jeep still fit my needs. I loved the habitat too, but like you I was concerned about the wet cold conditions. If you're okay with less space, I don't think you'll regret it.

I think most people not familiar with back packing assume you need to have a warm space outside of the sleeping bag. I've woken up with snow and ice covering me several times sleeping in the sierras in just a bag on a mat no tent. Perfectly warm however not too thrilled about exiting the warm sleeping bag. A knit cap on your head and I like to lay a semi stiff jacket over my head or a large stiff sun hat which helps keep the cold air off my head without having to duck totally under the sleeping bag head and all.

JDaPP

Adventurer
A little off topic, but has anyone run a Smittybilt Overhead console or something of that type (http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/92.htm) with the J30? Planning on a long trip this summer and I am looking for as much storage as possible for the smaller item as I can get so I don't have to dig for them or take up the kid/dog space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior