ZR2 w Diamondback HD - looking for thoughts on Yakima Skyline w RTT

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Hi, just purchased a new Chevy ZR2 vs. I have the Diamondback HD on order which can hold 1,600 pounds.

I'm thinking of putting a RTT on Yakima HD bars mounted directly to the Diamondback with the Skyline towers & landing pads. I figure others have already done this and I can learn from you. The drawback is there is only about 4 ½" between the cover and the bottom of the bar to stow stuff. The advantage is it'll put the tent at the truck's roofline and since my wife and I are in our 60's.. less ladder is good. Also it'll be easy to disconnect everything - unlock and pull 4 levers.

Here are a couple screenshots from Youtube with a tent on and off.

Thoughts please?
Trvlngnrs

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.41.03 AM.jpegScreen Shot 2021-02-20 at 9.11.24 AM.jpeg

spectre6000

Observer
My first thought is that you lose a lot of bed utility with the tent mounted. A drawer system might bring a lot of that utility back, but... Check your weights; that diamond plate tonneau doesn't look light. I think it's silly to see people running around with RTTs mounted all the time, so it's good that it cleans up when removed.

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Thanks for your thoughts. The Diamondback weighs about 40-50lbs. The top opens on both ends and each section can be removed in about 10 seconds.

I'm thinking of using a lift fastened to the ceiling in my garage to take on & off the RTT. There's a bunch of videos on Youtube of people doing this. Racor makes a lift that is good for 250lbs.

emulous74

Do you really want to be crawling into the bed under the tonneau cover to get stuff out of it? If you go with that setup, I would suggest considering getting a bed slide or put everything you need in the backseat area and do a rear seat delete. I get the idea of having the tent lower, just need to realize what you'll be loosing because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior