ZR2 vs Gladiator Sport S

skrypj

So I just picked up a Winnebago Micro Mini 1800BH which is a 7' wide trailer, and the ZR2 diesel tows it absolutely beautifully. Have been drooling over the Australian camper trailers like ZoneRV, etc. But I know realistically there's no place to take those things in Canada (every off-road trail is simply too narrow) and you'd just get stuck all the time anyway (they weight about twice what a conventional American camper trailer does). So this is a nice looking soft-road compromise with pretty decent tires and suspension. Anyway...

Our first trip we went to Alonguin, a few hundred KM, some rolling hills. It can pull at 65 mph quite easily getting between 13-15 MPG. At 55 mph I'm getting 15-18 MPG which is absolutely incredible. I know guys with gas jeeps that get that not towing anything at all.

Previously I had an Apex 235BHS that was 7.5 feet wide and 23' long. It pulled that quite fine, WAY better than my Nissan Frontier did! But I do prefer this little Micro Mini. It's just so easy. Don't even need extended mirrors!

(Picture in the middle of my Australian-style canopy build.)

The mircominnie has been on my radar for a while now. I really like them. That extra 1' of width is a big deal.

My dad bought a 2100BH and has a Ford Expedition that is almost idential in specs to my 2014 F150 and his will get 1-2mpg better due to his trailer being 1' narrower than mine.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm liking it a lot. Just in the midst of a full off-grid power conversion. 400W of solar, two 170 AH lithium batteries, 3000W inverter.

Desmontes

I've got an '18 ZR2 diesel and tow a GeoPro 17PR (4,000# loaded weight) and a custom VMI Offroad Canyon, about 3,000#. We live in northern NM and have towed both quite a bit. Have had really good experience towing with it. Averaged 15.2 mpg from Taos to Crested Butte and back pulling the GeoPro. Re the Gladiator, we had a '14 JGC Overland diesel that only lasted 50k before the DEF system destroyed itself. Pretty sure this is the diesel in the Gladiator (VM Motori 3.0L). Also, I've read a couple towing reviews about the Gladiator diesel and the reviewers said that they wouldn't drive one towing a trailer again. Apparently it swayed all over the place. BTW, just got back from a quick trip to Overland Mountain West in Longmont, CO. Really interesting stuff but HOT!! Picture in Crested Butte.

Attachments

• C96B32EC-E1F0-436B-AC52-16A261F99F44_1_201_a.jpeg
    C96B32EC-E1F0-436B-AC52-16A261F99F44_1_201_a.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42

skrypj

I've got an '18 ZR2 diesel and tow a GeoPro 17PR (4,000# loaded weight) and a custom VMI Offroad Canyon, about 3,000#. We live in northern NM and have towed both quite a bit. Have had really good experience towing with it. Averaged 15.2 mpg from Taos to Crested Butte and back pulling the GeoPro. Re the Gladiator, we had a '14 JGC Overland diesel that only lasted 50k before the DEF system destroyed itself. Pretty sure this is the diesel in the Gladiator (VM Motori 3.0L). Also, I've read a couple towing reviews about the Gladiator diesel and the reviewers said that they wouldn't drive one towing a trailer again. Apparently it swayed all over the place. BTW, just got back from a quick trip to Overland Mountain West in Longmont, CO. Really interesting stuff but HOT!! Picture in Crested Butte.

The gladiator has the 3rd gen EcoDiesel vs the 2nd gen in the JGC. And yes the general consensus on the 2nd gen is that they suck. My buddy is a huge diesel guy, even has his own business building turbo upgrades for the Colorado Duramax, and he has had non-stop issues with his stock JGC ecod. Hates the thing.

Desmontes

The gladiator has the 3rd gen EcoDiesel vs the 2nd gen in the JGC. And yes the general consensus on the 2nd gen is that they suck. My buddy is a huge diesel guy, even has his own business building turbo upgrades for the Colorado Duramax, and he has had non-stop issues with his stock JGC ecod. Hates the thing.
It's a shame because it was an awesome vehicle. The diesel and the paddle shifters made for brilliant towing in the mountains. Could you send me contact info for your buddy's business? My ZR2 is past warrantee and I'm looking getting some adjustments to the engine. Thanks!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've got an '18 ZR2 diesel and tow a GeoPro 17PR (4,000# loaded weight) and a custom VMI Offroad Canyon, about 3,000#.

Yep, we did 3 weeks touring the Canadian maritimes pulling the Minnie Winnie (I hate the name, and just pulled the stickers. :D )

The truck did really great. The tongue is a bit heavy, and I couldn't get rid of the squat, even with as much tension as I dare put on the WD hitch. I'm working to lighten the tongue a bit, and getting OME HD springs for the rear. But other than that, just great. I didn't weight it but it's probably bang on the 5000lb limit as I have about 300lbs of off-grid electric gear in it, plus we always had a full water tank. We averaged about 15.5 MPG over the 5000km trip. On some stretches where it was flat ground and we cruised at 45 mph I was getting 18 mpg which is phenomenal. I did take it on a section of dirt road that, I probably shouldn't have but couldn't turn around once we were committed. Featured 20% grades, on dirt, no guard rails... was a bit pucker but we made it. Our route also featured up to 18% grade on pavement. The truck never complained.

The trailer was a different issue though. My off-grid installation was great. But there were tons of niggly little problems. Plumbing leaks, cabinets and drawers popping open. The fridge popped open and we had a dozen eggs and tzatziki exploded all over the place. I mean, overall the trailer is pretty good. But you have to go through it, tighten all the plumbing fittings yourself. And fit locking latches on the cabinets. I can't believe in 2021 they're still building them without latches on the cabinets on a relatively high-end trailer. I mean, it's not an Airstream, but it's top end of the mainstream brands.

The smaller size, 18 feet long and 7 feet wide definitely allowed us to go some places we could not have gone with a bigger trailer. Being able to run the microwave, induction cook top, hair dryer, even the AC, while off-grid was fantastic and really transforms the experience. We boondocked about half the nights.

I should talk about the truck more, but there's really just nothing to report. It just worked perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke