Zodi Tent Heater

Trailfrog

Adventurer
Anyone have plans to build something like this? Since they are not selling them any longer I would really like something like this as well.

Ted_Z

Adventurer
Some internal pictures of the unit would be great. As far as I can tell it is basically a stove with a few horizontal tubes going over it. 12V duct fans are easiy enough to find.

partsflyin

Adventurer
You'd be better off making your own (like the Zodi) from scratch. It's a really simple design.

X2

Maybe you could source a fan better than what the Zodi come with. I thought I wanted one of these till I found one. The one I had for a short while , sounded like a B52 was right beside me.
Just my .02.

Remodelboy

I tried contacting Zodi about if and when a next generation tent heater might be coming out and they said that there were no plans for one. Makes me wonder why such a clever idea might be allowed to fall to the wayside. I'm guessing out loud that maybe there was a liability insurance consideration (easy guess - usually the case). All it would take to create a problem is for the heat exchanger in an old or poorly maintained unit to deteriorate and allow CO to enter the airflow.

Just thinking out loud to anyone kicking around the idea of making one (as I have thought about). I'd probably stay away from using some of the more commonly available materials for a heat exchanger. If you use aluminum, say up against your Mr. Heater, then the aluminum might allow a hole to be burnt through it and allow CO into the air stream. If you use galvanized metal from the plumbing aisle at HD, then some pretty noxious fumes might be emitted into the air stream. If I could locate a small stainless steel exchanger or maybe use something out of a very small scrapped central heating unit, then maybe I would give it a go.

If anyone does successfully make one of these up, please post it and be sure to use a CO detector during the testing phase as a courtesy to your family (or dog).

Also, to the OP, I noticed that you posted in Dec 2011, but I didn't notice when you had purchased that unit. Was it recently? Now that it's sold, can you let us know if there are more available and where you got it from (before one of us junior engineers wipes out his whole family)?

Thanks!

upcountry

Explorer
Check out this option TacoDoc is considering adding to his flippac:

http://tacodoc.com/?page_id=1650

I tried contacting Zodi about if and when a next generation tent heater might be coming out and they said that there were no plans for one. Makes me wonder why such a clever idea might be allowed to fall to the wayside. I'm guessing out loud that maybe there was a liability insurance consideration (easy guess - usually the case). All it would take to create a problem is for the heat exchanger in an old or poorly maintained unit to deteriorate and allow CO to enter the airflow.

Just thinking out loud to anyone kicking around the idea of making one (as I have thought about). I'd probably stay away from using some of the more commonly available materials for a heat exchanger. If you use aluminum, say up against your Mr. Heater, then the aluminum might allow a hole to be burnt through it and allow CO into the air stream. If you use galvanized metal from the plumbing aisle at HD, then some pretty noxious fumes might be emitted into the air stream. If I could locate a small stainless steel exchanger or maybe use something out of a very small scrapped central heating unit, then maybe I would give it a go.

If anyone does successfully make one of these up, please post it and be sure to use a CO detector during the testing phase as a courtesy to your family (or dog).

Also, to the OP, I noticed that you posted in Dec 2011, but I didn't notice when you had purchased that unit. Was it recently? Now that it's sold, can you let us know if there are more available and where you got it from (before one of us junior engineers wipes out his whole family)?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior