Z71 vs Z72 vs Bison

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Just curious if there was any reason someone might choose the Bison or Z72 over a Z71 given the price difference? What's the curve on when you would choose a different model and why? I ask because this 2015 Z71 Colorado with camper shell and 6ft bed just came up for sale near me with 20k miles for 29. I think a lot of upgrades could be had for the price difference between this truck and the upcoming Bison or even a comparable year ZR2. Thoughts?

https://www.mullinaxlincolnonline.c...e0a0e0ae773a94efabce642e9.htm?searchDepth=1:1

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
OP that truck is fine if you like the brotato wheels and don't do any hardcore offroading. Most dont really need a zr2 or a bison its more of a want thing.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
I hate the wheels and would replace them almost immediately. And arb lockers can be added. There’s roughly 20k price difference between that truck and a bison. Is the bison 20k better or could I take 20k over time and make this one just as capable? That’s kind of what I meant with “is there a curve” like is there a price point where it’s more reasonable to get the step down trim and just upgrade yourself because the price discrepancy is so large?

Also the availability of a long bed. I’d like to be able to sleep in the back. The zr2, bison, trd pro, and trd limited don’t offer the long bed options. Looking more at overland travel, not rock crawling.

Last edited:

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
In my opinion when considering the value between an offroad package with lockers and other offroad goodies vs. just building the equivalent from a lower package is factory warranty, resale value, and the ability to sell it down the road. Selling a modified rig can be difficult and can take extra time finding the right buyer who 'gets it', and a lot of times you take a big hit on aftermarket accessories when you sell the truck. In that regard factory offroad package may have the edge unless the deal is that good. On the flip side, if you plan to modify the truck above and beyond what the factory does in the offroad package and are going to strip a lot of the goodies anyway, might as well start with the lower package 'clean slate'.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
So AEV will be selling the skid plates, bumpers, all of it. So the only real difference at this point is the multimatic dssv dampers and such. Any zr2 owners want to speak on those? Are they worth the upgrade?

Also thanks everyone for validating my thought process and giving some great constructive feedback.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I do know those dssv shocks are lifetime shocks. You probably will never have to replace them. An again front and rear lockers is a major upgrade but not everyone needs those. These are the major differences and it's up to you how you are going to use your truck as to whether you need these things or not.

I think you can build a truck pretty much how you want it. The ZR2 gives you a semi turn key truck with a factory warranty and done. Is it worth it? That is a case by case decision.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Brotato lololol

I think the front bumper hangs entirely too low, I would rectify that immediately along with the wheels. Add a winch and some lockers and rock on. The shell looks good on there too!

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
Brotato lololol

I think the front bumper hangs entirely too low, I would rectify that immediately along with the wheels. Add a winch and some lockers and rock on. The shell looks good on there too!

Front bumper would be replaced with the new arb summit. Wheels would be replaced with white steel maybe. I’m in no rush though so I can wait for the price to drop a bit. It’s been there a few months and slowly creeping down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz