Your pick for a solid guitar throne in the outback!

go4aryd

Adventurer
OK, I know how this sounds. And I have often just sat on a fallen log, or made a throne from a two-foot section of a log. Frankly, I hate leaving a nice sounding guitar in the closet, and often make room to take one with me and don't like adding war marks to them playing from my camp chairs (chairs with arms often create "new ding" problems).

SO, other than the tailgate (another backup I like to use when one is available - not on my FJ Cruiser), what do others use? Inquiring minds want to know!

Oh yea - I tried the foldable tripod, three-legged stools years ago and hated them. Always felt uncomfortable to me.

Bowatti

I just got back from Strawberry Music Festival. Its located a bit north of Yosemite valley. I came across this problem many times prior and during this trip. Solutions:

Ice chest - Perfectly flat and you can grab beer between songs.....

Tailgate - Not sure what your rig is, but I usually play on my tailgate then just fall backwards into my sleeping platform when im ready for bed and take the guitar in there with me.

Guitar Strap - If you are campin with a big group of people its nice to have a strap so you can walk around and sing with everyone round the campsite.

Best of luck and keep strummin!

-Bow

go4aryd

Adventurer
Something like this without arms would be ideal...... or maybe I'll have to make a couple collapse-able apple crates.

Croquet%20chair.jpg

http://www.sitemason.com/files/e2u9Qk/Croquet chair.jpg

go4aryd

Adventurer
..or here is a current, affordable clone in case anyone else is looking. This is called the Capri chair from Wolrdmarket.

pCPWM-10161110v300x300.jpg

DarinM

Explorer
I've got a couple "kick-around" guitars that are my throw in the Jeep and go guitars. They're decent enough, but not my gigging gear so if something horrible happens to them, I'm not going to get too upset. If my Yairi got crunched I would really be sad as I can't afford to replace it anytime soon.

I just have those collapsible chairs with soft arms - fairly comfortable and while it isn't the ideal seating position for playing, it works well enough for me. With the very limited space I've got in the TJ, they also take up much less room than any of the nicer folding chairs.

Most of the time I just take my little Martin Backpacker. It's OK for the campfire, it's a tough little dude and surprisingly loud for what it is. And as I said, if it dies, falls in the fire, or something I'm out $150 or so to replace it as opposed to a couple grand or so for some of my other guitars.

go4aryd

Adventurer
Thanks for your input!

I hear you. I bought a used Taylor Big Baby a couple of years back to use when writing, etc to keep the nice wood away from the tables/desk, etc. I have taken it out a number of times and always wonder where I am going to sit - I don't want to be on my feet, so strap isn't the right answer for me. My rig doesn't have a tailgate and I have a freezer mounted in the rig - so no cooler (I used to do that). I've been making do with my GCI outdoor or the PICO, but the arms always have a way of sneaking up on me and the playing position gets quite uncomfortable after a time since you have to sit on the front edge. I used to have a old wooden folding chair from the mid 1900s public schools, but haven't had that around for years or would be using that I guess.

I also saw that IKEA also has a couple - but of course the store has to carry it - nothing online from them.

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Ice chest - Perfectly flat and you can grab beer between songs.....

Sit on a PETT and prop ur feet up on the Ice chest. Heck you may not have to get up for days! There must me some sort of Country song that covers this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior