Votes: 4 22.2%
  • REI Base Camp 6

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Other: Feel free to throw others out that you think will work best for me

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

barlowrs

Explorer
OK, you guys have probably seen my recent thread on finding a new tent and sleeping arrangements that will be good for car camping with the gf.

I currently have a mental problem which causes me to want the lightest, strongest tent that is rated to perform at the top of Everest. My current tent that I mountaineer and climb with is GREAT, and fits all of the above requirements, however, it is not very pleasant when the gf is complaining about it being to small and uncomfortable..haha.

SO..now that I have a car to carry my gear rather than my legs, time to expand my gear. I have been taking everyone's input from my previous thread and have it narrowed down to the following..please vote or give any input/experience you may have with them. In no particular order (also price isn't too important, as my gf and I will spit it, but no $1k MSR tents please):

EDIT: I ADDED THE CABELLAS ALASKAN TO THE LIST, BUT THE POLL DOESNT LET ME ADD IT, SO IF YOU VOTE FOR IT, JUST VOTE OTHER AND SPECIFY THE ALASKAN.

1. Sierra Designs Wu Hu Annex 4+2: (I like the idea of 2 rooms, one for us, one for gear, but is it too big for just 2 people? Also have never been a fan of pole sleeves, I like clips better, but I am sure I can look past that. The only other concern I have is that its not a dome/4 season, but again, I think that is must my mentality holding me back.
SDSTWH4A.jpg

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/Cat...144/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/SDSTWH4A.html?Hit=1

2. Sierra Designs Meteor Light 4:
27888.jpg

http://www.campmor.com/sierra-desig....shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=27888

3. Sierra Designs Stretch Dome 3: Older tent, but a classic..4 seasons YAY! BUT, only one door. Not sure how I feel about this. However, this tent is a classic and CAN hang on top of Everest (well close at least), that scores points for me! haha
SDSTSDN.jpg

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/Cat...2144/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/SDSTSDN.html?Hit=1

4. North Face Meadowlands 4:
27815_alt2.jpg

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27815?&storeId=226&pageSize=100#

5. REI Basecamp 4:
c80ae6ed-0160-44e9-b13b-570ee9feda0f.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/777753

6. REI Basecamp 5: Only 50 bucks more but bigger...though again, my mentality is telling me it's TOO big...is it?
7fd3a851-3406-4fcb-b61d-51e6e3ad2613.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/777755

7. Cabellas Alaskan 4:
s7_517569_imageset_03

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
hahaha I am at a stand still here Robert. You added the SD Wu Hu lol. plus you added the Base Camp 6. of course this from a guy that has often used the Cabelas alaknak (12x12) w/ vest (add 10 ft) for car camping with 2 people. Bigger can be better in some ways and bad in others. I looked hard at the Wu-Hu and dang near ordered it. that and the North Face Mountain Manor (little heavier built than the meadowlands plus has 2 rooms) were at the top of my list. Not a fan of the SD Meteor. I am unfamiliar with the SD stretch dome, but it being 4 season is a big plus in my book as well. One of the reasons I got the BA Flying Diamond was it was a 3-4 season for 6 people. It is really a toss up here as to which is going to serve you best.

The only reason the Wu-Hu did not get ordered was the idea behind the un supported area between the poles that cover the roof. Snow could possibly do funny things to that area. Unsure of the NEED for 2 doors on the 4 season if it is just you and your GF. I have had many tents with 2 doors but never used the second door.
I think for your use the Base camp is going to be the winner - strong 4 season tent design w/ 3 season ventilation. can't over look the lack of venting the 4 season has. the difference between the 4-6 person models is standing room. 5ft Vs. 6ft and 2ft of floor space. comfort wise being able to stand up to get dressed is always nice. Base camp 6 gets the vote

Attachments

• alaknak.jpg
    alaknak.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 44

ddog45

Adventurer
I would vote for an msr tent or a used mosss tent if you can find one. Moss used to be made in Seattle and was bought by msr they are bomber tents and are not florecent colors.

wcdu

Observer
I haven't tried many of the new models but I have spent lots, and mean lots of time under fabric.

My small two man is something from REI. My large tent is from cabellas, an Alaska model. I bought my first one in 1985 and it made it to 1995. Would likely still be using it except I lent it to my brother and his family. It was never quite the same. My new Alaska model has made so many trips here there and everywhere, I couldn't begin to list them all. It has done it all.

ps; I live & play in the Colorado and hunt Wyoming every fall. It has been to the plains and to Moab aas well as beautiful Paulden, AZ just to name a few recognizable locations.

Steve

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I would not buy an MSR for a buck. Over priced garbage IMO. Now the alaskan guide models from cabelas tents are amazing but a little pricy. The geo tents along with the alaknak might be the best outfitter tents available. After using a canvas wall tent for 4 seasons including 2 times in idaho snow storms we got tired of the need for 4 people to put the darn thing up it had to go away even though it is a great setup if your staying for 2 weeks or so.

barlowrs

Explorer
I ADDED THE CABELLAS ALASKAN TO THE LIST, BUT THE POLL DOESNT LET ME ADD IT, SO IF YOU VOTE FOR IT, JUST VOTE OTHER AND SPECIFY THE ALASKAN.

THANKS,:victory:

refried

Adventurer
If you like the Sierra Designs Stretch Dome look for an older Papagayo, they may still be some around. It's a 3 season version of the Stretch Dome 4 made with several screen panels instead of full walls. It also has 2 doors and 2 vestibules allowing for more ventalation than single door models.
http://www.moontrail.com/sierra-papagayo.php
I've had this tent for several years and am very impressed with it, it's a little big sometimes but it's nice having the room (I do have several others but this one gets the most use

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Hey Robert, while i love the cabelas alaskan, for your purposes and your location, you will probably deal more with heat than with cold. i think a good hybrid tent such as the base camp is going to serve you much better than anything. I point out the base camp 6 because 1 it will take the same time to set up as the base camp 4. 2 a little extra room to maneuver and store equip. 3 with the 6 you can set the mattresses in the middle and have access from both sides there by making it easier for your GF to get up or you get up with out crawling over the other person.

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
We have the Cabella's 12' x 12' extreme, (not the guide but the other one that is heavier) and we sleep a family of five with it. It is as close to a bomb shelter that a tent can be. Cape Hattaras Tropicial Depression kind of winds two years ago with out a problem. It is a true hardcore tent but it is HEAVY and can be a bit hot, but the next best thing to a cabin if things are BAD out.

Good luck

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
We have the Cabella's 12' x 12' extreme, (not the guide but the other one that is heavier) and we sleep a family of five with it. It is as close to a bomb shelter that a tent can be. Cape Hattaras Tropicial Depression kind of winds two years ago with out a problem. It is a true hardcore tent but it is HEAVY and can be a bit hot, but the next best thing to a cabin if things are BAD out.

Good luck
sounds like the xwt extreme built simular to the dome but can with stand 75 MPH wind. simply an amazing tent. possibly one of the best/strongest tents made of the dome type. I would love to try out the new ISQ, built simular to the Alaknak but way more advanced and the XTC cloth they use is very durable and waterproof.

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
Yes the tent I was talking about is called the XWT Extreme, I just could not remember the name. It is an amazing piece of work!

barlowrs

Explorer
OK, well despite my poll, I think I am going a different route ..haha. After all the votes for the REI, I decided that REI gear must be good nowadays, so I started looking at all of their tents. YOur votes also told me that it is ok for a couple (2 ppl) to have a 6 person tent, so I figure..why not?

I was going to pick up the Base camp 6 like ppl suggested, but all that mesh really bugged me. I either have to have the fly on so I don't get ANY view of the starts, or me and my gf have to "behave" as there is no privacy without it. I was also torn because I liked the two rooms the sierra designs offered.....then I found this GEM:

7605507b-1953-4875-a57d-e39cf54bbe84.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/777768

This baby has 2 rooms (I just like that idea..haha) and plenty of mesh for the stars, but I can also put the fly on and cover it up for privacy. The nice part though, is that I can have the fly half on, so one room is nice and private and the other is a star gazing paradise.

Another nice thing is that it looks like you can stand up EVERYWHERE in it, not just the peak.

Reviews on it seem good. .essentially just get extra stakes for the wind, as it has a large profile and steep sides. One downfall is that one door does not have a proper vestibule however it is supposed to be waterproof, and has an "overhang". They also offer an optional (more $) vestibule for that side. I may pick this up in the future but I am in no rush, as I think there will be plenty of storage room since it is just me and my gf (2 ppl).

SO...I think I am going to pull the trigger on this baby this weekend unless anyone has any inside information that tells me I should stay away!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT THROUGHOUT THIS!

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I do not think I would buy this one without the vestibule. the awening thast comes on the back side is not going to holld out rain. I believe the SD wu-hu could do every thing this tent could personally. Cabelas also has some simular. Neat concept.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne