Your favorite camping meals

Honu

lost on the mainland
Put a piece of fish in heavy foil....top with salsa and cheese. Seal it up all nice and tight, steam for a few minutes. Darn good alone or in a tortilla.
Hawaiian thing

One whole uhu gutted scaled
Jar salsa poured over and spread into cavity
Cup or more mayonaise poured over spread into cavity
Portuguese sausage or lop cheong sliced put over and in cavity wrap up in foil cook up

Awesome stuff with white rice never tried in tortillas ? Now I am in AZ could see those though :)

shfd739

Observer
Ours is usually sausage/cheese/egg tacos at breakfast time.

Dinner the last 3 trips has been a nice steak with a Java rub then cooked in a grill pan till medium-medium well. Usually salad is the side dish.The steak tastes awesome and always has friends regretting their hot dogs and hamburgers.

Our trips typically only have one night meal so we go for it with great steak.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
don't think I have a favorite. Anything out of the dutch oven is my favorite. this past weekend I made a Chicago style deep dish pepperoni, ham, onion, olive, pepper and cheese pizza. Very good around a nice camp fire with some friends.

pancake mix

Can't forget pancakes for breakfast. (I have young kids) You just buy on of those pancake mixes in one of the plastic jug containers and when you get to camp all you have to do is add water and shake. Very low maintenence even if you are backpacking.
mix it ahead of time and put it in a plastic squeeze bottle.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I like to get some olive oil hot in a pan. Then pour in some salsa and cover quickly. Let the salsa get caramelized and then add a few eggs. cover again to cook the top side of the eggs until done. Huevos Rancheros.

SilverBullet

Explorer
Baggie Omlets:

2-eggs
Cheese
Fixin's as desired

All in a baggie. Drop in boiling water until eggs are done. Open and roll onto your plate.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
We used to do SilverBullet's baggie omelets in scouts when I was a kid. Its nice because then there is virtually no cleanup (you're only boiling water) and its customizable. Just crumple it up and roll it up in a tortilla with some salsa and you've got your breakfast burrito.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Take a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, shiny side in. Spray it with butter flavored Pam cooking spray. Add 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, some onion slices, pepper slices a teaspoon of water and a liberal sprinkle of chili powder. Wrap tightly. Place on engine manifold,, 1packet per person.

Check often for a firm breast. Not sure? Use a thermometer.

When you get there, before setting up camp, wrap your tortillas in foil and place on cooling engine.
Set up camp
Eat chicken fajitas.

How long do you usually leave it on the engine?

sixbennetts

Adventurer
How long do you usually leave it on the engine?
Trial and error, sorry. Lotsa variables, where on the block you place it, how long the trip, outside air temp.

Internal temp of the chicken is how we tell. Just check it when you stop.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I had some kebob skewers that were made of stainless multistrand cable. you could wind the kebobs to fit in a bowl for marinating.

I've seen some flexible ones like that but figured I would like the rigid units better. The thing with kebabs is that you can pick them up and turn them easily, and then eat directly off of them when the food is done, and all with only one hand. I don't know about you, but it is just too much hassle and I'm too lazy to put my beer down when I'm in camp. :)

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Oatmeal by Thermos.

I used a 16oz. wide mouth Thermos to cook oatmeal for years while driving a nightly 500 mile rounder in a big truck.

It took some experimenting but I settled on 1/2 cup steel cut oats and 1-1/2 cups boiling water. It takes a few hours for steel cut oats, but far less for other types.

If you're not into breaky first thing in the morning, this is an option. I've also tried beans and lentils by thermos but had to parboil them first.

wesel123

Explorer
Being as though my daughter and I both have Celiacs disease, my poor wife has to eat gluten free as well.

Breakfast:
Gluten Free Oat meal (real good steel cut stuff) with dates, brown sugar, butter and milk
or if we need to be fast, its cereal

Lunch:
BLT's of coarse on gluten free bread
or
Corn tortilla Quesadilla's

Dinner:
1) Papa's con Chorizo - Diced potatoes seasoned with Soyrizo (don't knock it until you try it, damn good stuff)
2) Spaghetti
3) Trader Joe's marinated flank steak with pan fried french fries.

Been trying to expand a little and there are some really good ideas here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke