"You Can't Get There From Here"; A Definition - Mitch's North Maine Woods Trip Report

XJlimitedx99

DSC08066 - Copy.jpg

attachment.php

Out of all times, this is the road that gave us our first mechanical issue of the trip. Regan had asked for a bit too much of the shock mount on his rig, and it decided it had enough.

attachment.php
Screenshot 2022-01-31 225255.jpg

No worries. Removed the shock and carried on. However, carrying on meant pushing deeper into the rapidly enclosing road. With the sun on the downward side of the day, and many miles more to go before reaching our farthest point from home, we were leery of just how deep into the depths we wanted to go.

attachment.php
DSC08093.jpg

Getting to the end of the road and seeing a culvert that was passable was a moment worth rejoicing for. Successfully back onto a traveled road, we headed over to the old Ross Mountain fire tower.

attachment.php
IMG_0756.jpg

attachment.php
IMG_0758.jpg

The map showed this tower being right off the road with just a short hike up. I thought it would be a fun little spot. We were actually able to drive right to the base of the tower, which was still climbable and the cabin in good enough shape to enter!

attachment.php
DSC08120.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08124.jpg

IMG_5639.jpg

I, for one, kept my two feet planted on the ground. Jessi and Regan were the only two old enough to make the climb. They said it was nice from up there.

While headed to the next stop I really felt like we were getting into a part of the forest that is not used frequently. The main roads became narrower and more grown in. The two-track often had grass growing 3 feet tall in the middle. The next stop fell right in line with the feeling. We poked down to the old Realty Rd bridge that was removed in 2012 on our way by.

attachment.php
DSC08130.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08153.jpg

Last edited:

XJlimitedx99

This spot was cool because this was our first encounter with the St. John river. The Allagash seems to get a good bit more attention than the St. John. I got a greater feeling of solitude here.

attachment.php
DSC08153.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08139.jpg

Back on the road, we were just a few minutes from the airstrip. On the way over we encountered a coyote in the middle of the road, staring at us like it had never seen anything like us before. It was an eerie moment.

attachment.php
RJB01916.jpg

A few more minutes of pushing past downed limbs and bouncing over drainage ditches, and we were pulling into the landing strip.

This spot was on my list for basically one reason: seclusion. This spot was about 10 miles from the Canadian border, and about 50 miles from the nearest town. There is not much history about the runway. Some articles online show the original unpaved section was built in 1966 by paper companies to fly pesticide planes in and out while fighting the spruce budworm epidemic. Sometime in the 70’s or 80’s, the paved section of runway was added alongside of the original length, again likely to support the aerial spray programs. The runway is officially listed as being private, closed, and for emergency use only. There are large “X’s” painted on the runway to indicate to pilots the runway is not to be used.

Pulling into this spot was everything I could’ve wanted it to be. This felt like the ultimate freedom.

attachment.php
IMG_8164_cr.jpg

DSC08185 - Copy - Copy.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08193 - Copy (2).jpg

attachment.php

DSC08160 - Copy - Copy.jpg
attachment.php

DSC08200 - Copy.jpg
attachment.php

DSC08165 - Copy.jpg

We buzzed around a bit, checking out the runway (you know we raced down the runway), before turning and leaving as quickly as we had come. It was getting late in the day and we had a fair amount of miles left to go.

As if on queue, knowing that we were at one of the most remote places in the continental United States as the sun was beginning to set, my Jeep started acting up. That slight hiccup that had surfaced while in Greenville came back with a vengeance. At first it was just a few stumbles of the motor, but quickly turned into a serious intermittent misfire and surging that was all but undrivable.

The solution? Push on. At this point, the Jeep was still moving and there was very little we could do to diagnose the problem at the moment. I wasn’t overly concerned because I was with multiple other reliable vehicles that could tow me back to camp if it came down to it.

The route back to camp was not an easy choice. Either take the same main road we came in on all the way around, backtracking significantly out of the way, or cut straight through on old wood roads.

We tried our luck cutting straight through, but it didn’t take us very far. The road we turned onto quickly turned to an overgrown mess that was blocked by a gnarly washout. It wasn’t happening. We turned around to reevaluate.

At this time I had an idea about how to get my rig running correctly again; put some fuel in it. I was down to about a quarter of a tank, and thought it would be worth trying.

That’s all it took. 5 gallons of fuel down the filler and I was running good again. Crisis averted.

Looking at the gazetteer, we saw that every road running south that would be a direct route to our campsite was marked with an “impassable” spot. Had it been morning, I might’ve questioned that, but we were hungry and it was late. We just couldn’t get there from here. We boogied back to camp in record time to inhale burgers and beers before the rain came in hard. It was a good day.

Last edited:

XJlimitedx99

Day 6: Thursday September 6th

After a busy day, we were in no rush to pack up and leave the perfect little plot of land we called home. We all slept in and spent some well-deserved time sitting around drinking coffee and relaxing. This was our last day in North Maine Woods, and we had some pretty serious miles to cover to reach our tentative campsite on Flaggstaff Lake.

We would be exiting NMW through the southwest and head into Jackman on Old Kelley Dam Rd. I spent a long time reviewing the gazetteer to find a route which would take us southwest from where we were down onto the road where we needed to be, but there was no route.

A recent bridge failure had closed a crucial road for us to travel that direction. Funny enough, the only way we knew of this bridge out was from Mim at the 20 Mile Checkpoint. She had a sign hung in the check-in booth altering traffic of the obstruction, and she had also marked the spot in my atlas. Without her knowledge of the land, our day could have looked very different.

Regardless of the bridge out, there were several other potential tracks to take us that direction. However, not a single one showed as being passable. Each road ran had an impassable mark. There was one potential route, but it was risky. It showed a path down a secondary road, then turning onto a tertiary road (light double dash in the atlas) that cut over to another secondary road. The route would snake us up and down, and was by no means a straight shot. It even had a couple "sometimes passable" spots marked.

It would take us the better part of an hour to get over there before finding out if the track would work or not. After our previous experiences with the inconsistency of the roads, and how the map does not show definitively the condition of a road, we opted to play it safe and take the long way around on the main roads. This was truly the definition of “you can’t get there from here.”

attachment.php
DSC08444.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08446.jpg

Not trying to drive that route might be my biggest regret of the trip. A failure could have meant spending an extra day in NMW, which we had not paid for, but would not have disturbed our trip immensely. The biggest issue was not being able to communicate to the NMW staff that we were planning on spending an extra day and that we were not lost or in trouble because we didn’t check out when expected.

We looped down and around to Golden Rd before splitting off near Pittston Farm headed west. On this road we stopped at one of the electronic gates to call the main office and check out of NMW.

attachment.php
DSC08228.jpg

From here we continued down out of the woods until we eventually intersected with Rt 201 north of Jackman, just a few miles from the Canadian border. It was a good feeling to be back on a paved road after 3 days of rough dirt. By this time I was low on fuel again and the Jeep was occasionally hiccupping. I pressed on, knowing that gas was not far away. About this time I was also able to get some English-speaking music back on.

I pulled into the gas station in Jackman literally spitting and sputtering as my failing fuel pump threw a temper tantrum. I was ecstatic knowing that I had made it back to civilization after successfully estimating fuel usage and traveled over 300 miles unsupported and having used all of the 10 gallons I brought just to roll up to the pump with not very much to spare.

Gave the Jeep a walk around and chuckled at the vegetation that was stuck in my winch. There was quite a bit of hood-height grass in between the two tires tracks on some of the roads we had driven.

attachment.php
DSC08236.jpg

We got some questionable lunch at the gas station before saddling up for the next jaunt. We weren’t going to be on pavement for long.

Southbound out of Jackman, then hung an abrupt right to put us westward on Hardscrabble Rd, which turned into Spencer Rd, then Beaudry Rd. This was a very well maintained and apparently not well traveled logging road that put us over to Rt 27 near Chain of Ponds.

attachment.php
20210909_155156.jpg

Arriving at the end of Beaudry Rd, we all aired our tires up for the first time in days.

We drove down through Eustis as the end of the day neared. We were headed for a site on the western bank of Flaggstaff lake. I had my eyes on this site after seeing a post on reddit of a gorgeous beach campsite on the water looking directly across at the Bigelow mountain range.

Upon arrival, we found that we could not actually get the vehicles down to the beach campsite, as the road was blocked. However, there was a wooded site set farther back that met our needs. It wasn’t the prettiest campsite we had for the trip, but with more weather rolling in, it served its purpose.

attachment.php
DSC08249.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08251.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08260.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08277.jpg

XJlimitedx99

Day 7: Friday September 7th

We got hammered by rain pretty good the night prior. We dealt with a lot of rain on this trip.

I grabbed my camera and took a walk to the beach to shoot some pictures. It really is quite a special spot

attachment.php
20210910_104105.jpg

attachment.php
edit-02376.jpg

attachment.php
edit-02384.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08398.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08301.jpg

Headed back over to camp and began to collect our things together getting ready to move out.

We were all impressed to see Regan's sandals had not just survived, but thrived throughout the week.

attachment.php
DSC08419.jpg

The original plan of the trip would have us head back to the cabin for one more night, but by this point most of us felt like we achieved what we set out for. We had experienced what North Maine Woods had to offer, and came out unscathed. We were ready to head home.

attachment.php
DSC08416.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08423.jpg

attachment.php
DSC08424.jpg

XJlimitedx99

DSC08437.jpg
attachment.php

This is now the 3rd year in a row we have completed an overland trip. We’ve been getting better each time. Last year while doing NEBDR we found we pushed ourselves too hard to maintain the schedule we had come up with. This year we made it a point to keep the pace slow and enjoyable. It’s really easy to bite off more than you can chew when planning a trip. Life has a funny way of making us feel like we’re never doing enough and the other person is always one step ahead. Put yourself in your neighbor’s shoes and you might just find out you’ve had it great all along. Toe the edge, mind the gap, and don’t forget to take in the scenery along the way.

Overland2021NMWTrack.jpg
attachment.php
DSC08443.jpg

Last edited:

jbaucom

Looks like a great trip. Really enjoyed the pictures, as well as reading about it. I'm looking forward to making it to New England some day.

XJLI

Adventurer
quality report, I really want to get up there this august. thanks for the write up.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanks for posting this. You were right across the border, very near to where I grew up ("Montmagny") and my parents/family/friends still live.

1643818753201.png

Tucsontom

Adventurer
Good one - you showed us what outback Maine looks like - and it looks great! Thanks for not showing lobster roll pix! (not that you were close to one butcha know what I'm talking bout)

The occasional upside down or sideways pix sealed the deal for realville!

perfect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne