Yetti's 2009 V strom 650

MTVR

weird, all the new bikes, cars, and trucks with LED headlights must be breaking the law....

care to expound on that?

New motor vehicle headlight systems meet 49 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) 571.108 as designed and constructed.

That is MUCH different than installing Chinese e-bay LED or HID "conversions" into OEM reflector-beam headlight housings originally designed for incandescent halogen bulbs.

I have cited MANY offenders for blinding and unfocused illegally modified headlights...

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
New motor vehicle headlight systems meet 49 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) 571.108 as designed and constructed.

That is MUCH different than installing Chinese e-bay LED or HID "conversions" into OEM reflector-beam headlight housings originally designed for incandescent halogen bulbs.

I have cited MANY offenders for blinding and unfocused illegally modified headlights...

Thanks

I take it LEO? Thats good to know.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Added a new USB outlet/ to the front top. As well as two new K60 Scout tires, and a tank bag.

Been getting a few hours of ride in most days since I got back from contract.

Tiny Towns & Two Lanes
df5836bfd8cc35bdeac01d0a77719416.jpg
7ec4de35550cc709eabe6315b450c7c4.jpg
e540e4fa20eabae7753b9575ad5df302.jpg
5119e0d91f02cfaad8b366e76fcd391b.jpg
93ead664df93edb1554d1efde7b62e0f.jpg
8b400dd759fa02edf2be413bcb512ecf.jpg
d339bba8c268bc63409faa47513da302.jpg
c75d6168df99bb22452df3f66f303715.jpg

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

MTVR

The stock rear is Adjustable, so far it's been great!

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

How much do you weigh? Do you usually ride solo, or two-up? If you ride 2-up, how much does your passenger weigh? If you carry cargo, how much does it weigh?

Even riding solo, with no cargo, the stock Wee-Strom shock spring is WAY too soft for any normal-sized human being. The front is way undersprung too.

The front can normally be fixed (well enough for most riders) by installing the correct fork springs for your weight and using thicker fork fluid.

But in the rear, it really needs a decent shock (with the correct spring for your weight). You can TRY just installing the correct spring for your weight on the stock shock, but most riders will find that the stock damping is not up to dealing with the new spring, and the spring you bought is probably not going to be compatible with a decent shock, so in the end, you end up paying for TWO springs, the labor to swap both of them out, AND a decent shock, when it could have just been the cost of a decent shock, one spring, and the labor to install it.

Having properly sprung, valved, and adjusted suspension, is one of the real joys of motorcycling. Most people don't understand what they're missing until they do it, and then once they have, they're kicking themselves for not doing it sooner.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I serviced it, beginning of the season. And then just rode it and enjoyed! Not much in the way of change. I added the tank bag, and paniers on the sides of the tank. I think last year.

However, my phone changed, so my mount changed. I have never been let down by RAM mounts, and have used them professionally on almost everything with an engine. So they passed the abuse test. And its PNW Seattle Company.

IMG_20231015_114156_388.jpgIMG_20231015_114159_354.jpgIMG_20231015_114203_012.jpgIMG_20231015_114209_143.jpgIMG_20231015_114220_272.jpg

I will have to put her up for the winter eventually, but am putting it off.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The Quick Grip looks like a solid phone mount. Way more secure than the X-Grip. I really like the RAM products, but you should inspect the mounting arms regularly. I had an older aluminum one break on a trip once. It had developed a small crack that ended up coming apart.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My neighbor swears by his quad lock. It looks pretty solid as well.

I like that they have different mounting system to suit where you'd prefer to mount your phone.
The brake reservoir and fork stem mount and vibration dampener all look interesting to me.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
My neighbor swears by his quad lock. It looks pretty solid as well.

I like that they have different mounting system to suit where you'd prefer to mount your phone.
The brake reservoir and fork stem mount and vibration dampener all look interesting to me.

Looks like an interesting product. I did not even bother to look at other options, partly because it’s what I know, and I like it, and I already have a bunch of RAM Mounts stuff. I had a big quick clamp Ram base,for a long time, the same one I used on the KLR in SA. The little clamp they sell just saved some space. The quickgrip, takes up a lot more real-estate though.

The Quick Grip looks like a solid phone mount. Way more secure than the X-Grip. I really like the RAM products, but you should inspect the mounting arms regularly. I had an older aluminum one break on a trip once. It had developed a small crack that ended up coming apart.
I did not even know they made aluminum arms! It’s a good reminder to just check all the gear on a regular basis. A lot of people struggle with that, or they get a “thing” pack it, or mount it and never use it or exercise it. Even the powder fire extinguishers should be tipped upside down month. Otherwise it will settle in the bottom and turn hard.

…Even though I should have known that, it was never mentioned in any Fire training. But I found out the hard way, and it was on the label. Go figure,

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looks like an interesting product. I did not even bother to look at other options, partly because it’s what I know, and I like it, and I already have a bunch of RAM Mounts stuff. I had a big quick clamp Ram base,for a long time, the same one I used on the KLR in SA. The little clamp they sell just saved some space. The quickgrip, takes up a lot more real-estate though.
I get that. I should have done more research before I bought mine (which is weird cause I usually research the hell out of everything before I purchase). I just went on Amazon and bought the one with the most positive reviews, lol. I think the one I bought had 40,000 + 4.5 star reviews... But honestly, I don't find it that great. Mind you, I guess you get what you pay for. I think it was like $25...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles