Yetti's 2009 V strom 650

jfman

Very underrated bike the weestrom.

I rode one two up to Ushuaia thru all kind of terrain.

What it lacked in suspension it made up in reliability and capability

31945462_10212619551823837_2413046844620800000_n.jpg

31229215_10212542627020765_7527918269236248576_n.jpg

28378113_10212098436476279_4999044688645140330_n.jpg

Ducstrom

Amazing bike. I had an '04 in blue. Just a fire up and go anywhere bike, put on 56,000kms in 3 years. It was my first road bike and I still miss it.
Funny story, about five years after I sold it I was filling up at a gas station in North Vancouver and heard a bike pull into the pumps, totally recognized the sound ( I had put a scorpion pipe on it). Turns out it was my old bike and the guy who'd bought it was still riding it! Chatted about how much he still liked the bike, all the trips he'd been on and how reliable it was. Was great to see it being enjoyed still.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Been missing Patagonia as of late, so on a wet windy day, took her out. Just a few miles to the local hardware store and back.

My helmet is not connecting to my phone, does not seem to be putting out a Bluetooth signal at all. Tried a factory reset, no dice, so now it's sitting on my counter ( on) until the battery dies.
bfa80287f3ba69539a97579cb6842f6f.jpg

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

MTVR

I have been using the BILT Techno modular Bluetooth helmet,

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-techno-20-sena-bluetooth-modular-helmet

The music, phone and intercom functionality work well- almost seamlessly. My brother and I were able to talk with each other but when out of site, ( think around a big corner) and about a range of 100 meters.

It plays whatever custom tones you have set, example on the ride to work today a txt message came in and said " work message" as the phone was programmed to do. When talking with someone on the phone, they have not had trouble hearing me nor I them.

It has three vents, two on top and one chin. Recently one of the top vents broke, ( not thrilled about this, as it was in its bag at the time). it is not a replaceable part, and unfortunately cycle gear in Seattle was not helpful, but simply offered me 15% off of a new helmet if i traded my old one in. As that was the current promotion. This was purchased from the Portland cycle gear store in October of last year. And has about 3500 miles on it.

That being said, this did survive a few decent off bike experiences. A few on gravel at about 30mph, ( Caratera Austral) and one at a out 40mph on pavement. Those im sure had an effect on the strength of the top vents.

It is Modular, so has the flip up face peace, as well as visor and built in flip down sun shade. I have been happy with it, and will replace it in kind when the time comes, but for a $240 helmet, want to get some solid timeout of it.

The chin strap is a little frayed, i am guessing from my stubble when riding on vacation, as I have to remain clean shaven all other times.

I have worn it in torrential down pour and wind, rain, cold, and heat. It sealed well in all but the most ( about 8 hour day of wind and rain) where the top of the visor would send a drip down the inside about once every 10 mins.

I went with cycle gear for their legendary customer service and warranty. As the closest store to me, is over 3 hours away in Portland. The Portland store i went too ( they have a few) was great.

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask,

View attachment 512112View attachment 512113View attachment 512114View attachment 512115View attachment 512116

If your helmet has hit the ground, it's junk. If it's hit the ground twice, it's still junk.

Get a new helmet...

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
weird, all the new bikes, cars, and trucks with LED headlights must be breaking the law....

care to expound on that?

Also the ORS:

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Next time I am a few hundred miles from anywhere I could source a like motorcycle helmet, in South America after a wreck ill remember that.....if i ask nicely maybe one will magically show up.

MTVR

The Wee-Strom is a great motorcycle. I prefer the SV650, but the Wee-Strom is more adventure oriented.

Like others have said, the suspension would benefit from springs for your weight, and appropriate fluid and/or valving.

And a couple of sets of EBC sintered "Double-H" front brake pads would be good...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles