Yetti's 2009 V strom 650

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Looks like an interesting product. I did not even bother to look at other options, partly because it’s what I know, and I like it, and I already have a bunch of RAM Mounts stuff. I had a big quick clamp Ram base,for a long time, the same one I used on the KLR in SA. The little clamp they sell just saved some space. The quickgrip, takes up a lot more real-estate though.

I did not even know they made aluminum arms! It’s a good reminder to just check all the gear on a regular basis. A lot of people struggle with that, or they get a “thing” pack it, or mount it and never use it or exercise it. Even the powder fire extinguishers should be tipped upside down month. Otherwise it will settle in the bottom and turn hard.

…Even though I should have known that, it was never mentioned in any Fire training. But I found out the hard way, and it was on the label. Go figure,

The guy who services our Fire Extinguishers at our warehouse told me to tap them with a rubber mallet on the bottom to extend their life too. So don't just turn it upside down, but also give it a few good taps with a mallet.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
The guy who services our Fire Extinguishers at our warehouse told me to tap them with a rubber mallet on the bottom to extend their life too. So don't just turn it upside down, but also give it a few good taps with a mallet.
Yes, you should be able to feel and hear the powder move in there.

If it does not move a rubber mallet is a great idea. To break the settled powder off the bottom. Its interesting though, that things that are so mains stream required, and considered a life safety device. But the parts they leave out, that could literally be the difference between life and death, or just save.

Even CPR, taught to so many people. But important info left out, like. You will break ribs, and it will sound and feel terrible. As well as the baring of the chest. Taught to every professional, but not to the “layperson”

Except, I think it was in Sweden, where they had an ad campaign a few years back. Where tops were removed.

How do you like your KTM?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Yes, you should be able to feel and hear the powder move in there.

If it does not move a rubber mallet is a great idea. To break the settled powder off the bottom. Its interesting though, that things that are so mains stream required, and considered a life safety device. But the parts they leave out, that could literally be the difference between life and death, or just save.

Even CPR, taught to so many people. But important info left out, like. You will break ribs, and it will sound and feel terrible. As well as the baring of the chest. Taught to every professional, but not to the “layperson”

Except, I think it was in Sweden, where they had an ad campaign a few years back. Where tops were removed.

How do you like your KTM?

Good stuff!

I love my 1090 even if it is way too big for me. I'd been waiting for the Yamaha T7 to come out and got sick of waiting so I got the KTM. I churned through a few different bikes for a few years looking for that perfect KLR replacement. I had a 07 650 Strom for about a year, but never really gelled with it, but they are really solid bikes though. My 1090 felt like my V Strom size and ergonomically only with more power, and better handling in the rough dirt. The Strom was fine on the smooth dirt, but the lack of clearance got me sometimes. I loved the engine on the Strom, and was worried about KTM reliability but after 20k miles the KTM hasn't missed a beat. I'm thinking about moving over to the new Transalp though so we'll see. These days I use my 300 for ADV, Dual Sport, Dirt Biking, and Commuting. I also use the KTM for commuting a lot and for day rides around the area. The power of the KTM is intoxicating 😛

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm thinking about moving over to the new Transalp though so we'll see. These days I use my 300 for ADV, Dual Sport, Dirt Biking, and Commuting. I also use the KTM for commuting a lot and for day rides around the area. The power of the KTM is intoxicating 😛
The new Transalp looks intriguing. I've been watching a few youtube reviews about them...

I've found Big Rock Moto to be quite thorough in their reviews.

I think if I were in the market, I'd be hard pressed between a Tiger 900 Rally and the new GS900. (I'd like cruise and heated seats . grips)
The liter bikes are nice. But so expensive and a little more unyielding off pavement.
Nowadays you can get most of the tech / features from the big bike on their mid weight versions.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Good stuff. Just goes to show that these bikes want to stay upright and you just need a little momentum, balance, and let the bike move around beneath you. I've seen friends freeze in some of types of terrain in the second video, and not trust themselves or the bike. It takes time and practice. I've been amazed by what I can ride on my KTM 1090.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Good stuff. Just goes to show that these bikes want to stay upright and you just need a little momentum, balance, and let the bike move around beneath you. I've seen friends freeze in some of types of terrain in the second video, and not trust themselves or the bike. It takes time and practice. I've been amazed by what I can ride on my KTM 1090.
The KTM's are pretty well know for being quite good offroad compared to their same size counterparts of other makes. An 890 Adventure R Rally is pretty appealing to me....

Big Rock Moto on YouTube has a few pretty good reviews of his own 890.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Know your gear (equipment) , trust your gear (Equipment)
Know your limits, trust your limits

I had not seen those videos before, thanks I enjoyed them. And some good advice.

In many, many cases our vehicle/equipment/gear is way more capable then we are/ or give them credit for.
I have taken some stuff, into some really remote and nasty areas. And I find, almost 98% of the time. We reach our comfort limit, prior to the gear/equipment reaching its limit.

There are always exceptions though. My brother or I farm and construction equipment. Will comfortably take it to the limit or past. We were driving tractors before trucks, and farmed a lot. On my moto, at this point I will find my limit before the moto finds it. That’s just where my ridding skill is. We all have this sliding scale, though. Based on our experience and skill level.

When I see injuries, I think a lot of the time. Its people in the “middle” of the road. Not those who are super new, and not the “pros”. It’s that middle ground, where we out “ drive,ride,use,climb,paddle, etc) our skill set. The bugger of it, you have to push the boundaries to grow. I think of things at a professional level, Law Enforcement, Combat, Medicine, Firefighting, spec rescue. And how they build those programs to grow at a rate equal to the skill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94