Yetti's 2007 Outfitter Apex project.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Good Morning,

I have been looking for a Northstar 850sc for quite some time. However this popped up on my craigslist search alert. I would like some advice and wisdom from you with more experience than i. I am looking at a used 2006 Outfitter Apex, @ about 5k. However it has a crack in the curved under bed exterior wall. The owner says it has not grown, and does not leak. I sent the same picture to Outfitter for their take, But would also like yours. How bad is this, ( it seems bad to me)

Thanks,

This unit has been well used, ill attach a link to the listing-

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/d/06-outfitter-8-apex-pop-up/6610534376.html

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Without know exactly what the main structure looks like behind that outer shell, it's tough to know whether it's a real problem or just a cosmetic problem. Hopefully Outfitter gets back to you with an answer.

Jack

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I know that's my concern, it's hard to tell from the picture. The seller thinks it's just cosmetic and has been using it as such for a few years. But, they are also trying to get rid of it. ( his family is growing) or has it just worked like a big water scoop and collected water in the basement area where the damage can't be seen. Its about 4hrs away from my current location. Hard to tell if it's a screaming deal, or a nightmare in disguise.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I know that's my concern, it's hard to tell from the picture. The seller thinks it's just cosmetic and has been using it as such for a few years. But, they are also trying to get rid of it. ( his family is growing) or has it just worked like a big water scoop and collected water in the basement area where the damage can't be seen. Its about 4hrs away from my current location. Hard to tell if it's a screaming deal, or a nightmare in disguise.

Pretty much describes every used RV out there. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck and hopefully it's the screaming deal side of the coin.

Jack

ScottReb

Adventurer
I believe they use a typical wood framed structure under very thin FRP. With the flex at that location its possible those are just cracks from the repeated movement. Im betting its not structural. Long story... see what the manufacturer tells you and go from there.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I believe they use a typical wood framed structure under very thin FRP. With the flex at that location its possible those are just cracks from the repeated movement. Im betting its not structural. Long story... see what the manufacturer tells you and go from there.

YEah, they have not gotten back to me yet. Ill post when they do though,

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have never done much with fiberglass, but id think it could be patched and sealed at least with an off the shelf kit, or a body shop? I asked the seller if this has the aluminum frame, or is it the complete composite. It looks like the mfgr changed their core, but i dont know what years they did so. Ill make an offer when they get back to me though.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Ill make the trip down on Sunday to look at it. I was hoping Friday, so if I decided to get it i could do a short weekend trip on the way back. If all goes as planed i will be able to pick it up for less than what he is asking. He thought it was wood framed, but outfitter has apparently always used aluminum frames. They ( outfitter) has not gotten back to me though.

CCH

Adventurer
If you sent an email, that seems to be a waste of time for much of the truck camper manufacturers. I'd try calling, but no guarantees there either.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Well, I actually ended up turning it down after it needed a little more love then I have time to give. As i was driving out of Portland, he called back and said he would take $2500. I could not say no to that, spent all weekend working on it. I will try and post pics and more info later.

For $2500 I don't see how you could lose on this one! We had a 2005 Outfitter, at that time everything they were making had aluminum frame. From my memory, the frames we saw being built at their shop were pretty nicely done. Looking forward to your pics.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks guys, at that price i thought the same. I will probably need some of your expertise. It is a perfect example of how not to take care of your camper in the rainy side on Oregon whilst being a hipster family. Had some spray paint on one side, NONE of the seals had been redone, in quite some time. ( I have gone through 4 tubes to get it up to snuff) The rear ladder punched a hole in the rear, and they kept using it. Patched the holes with flexseal tape, and will hang some flatiron/ or maybe bed liner coated wood. ( I have a lot of plywood, does not cost me a thing) to cover it and secure the rear ladder again. they Hung wet gear in the back and never cleaned it up, so a bad patch in the rear floor. I made a new floor for it, and covered it with flex seal rubber paint. The crack in the front was not structural and showed no water damage. You guessed it, flex seal tape to seal it. I replaced about 50 screws that were just gone, or in bad shape and sealed those. including about 15 that were in the outer tub. Moss growing in the rear tail lights, and the window tracks. Im not sure they ever washed it. Washed and coated the windows with rain x, they were nasty towel came up black. The rear water tank drain, had been leaking. Cheap plastic, so I cut it sealed the hole. ( with flex seal tape, this stuff is awesome) and added a brass valve and nipple that will stay tucked into the rear compartment. Cleaned the entire thing a few times, inside and out. and lysol wiped the entire interior as well. Is missing some of the interior cupboard doors, i have contacted Outfitter about getting replacements. Im thinking ill have to call, as email does not seem to be working. Will do some touch up paint on the lift system, and stove/oven they would take it skiing and bring it back wet w/o drying out. It actually is not in horrible condition, i think ill be really happy with the purchase. In fact for how little they took care of it, its in good shape. I will be replacing a jack motor, and the exterior bulbs with LED. And the thermostat and exterior locks to non locking thumb locks. Everything is functional, the stove only has one good burner. I think i want to pull it out, as its a stove oven combo and replace it with just a stove top and use under it for storage. I will upload the few I have now, and get some more tonight. Its been open and up since friday just to air out. IMG_20180615_1903213.jpgIMG_20180616_1411139.jpgIMG_20180616_1411166.jpgIMG_20180616_1412155.jpg

The dog, really likes when the camper is on the back as he gets to ride in the cab, got a dog hammock for him to be there, easy clean up. I will also do a new front cover for that foot well, also painted with the rubber sealant.

The very bottom needs re sealed, so I will do that. and either install " cleats" or more sealed plywood for the entire bottom. They left it in the truck all the time and it was not sitting up on anything, so the bottom of the tub is beat up and i dont want it sitting on the fiberglass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles