Yetti's 2004 Chevy 2500

Goat, No Taboo at all. Ask anything you want, that's why we have forums. The gear change is something I should of done right after the larger tires and heavier flatbed went full time. It put the truck back into stock range, with the haver weight. MAde it a lot happier, that being said these 6.0's are not mileage machines by any means. My brother and I both have the 6.0. I added a cold air intake, chip and dual exhaust after the regear im still getting 10ish around town or towing, 12 on the freeway but have had a few trips where I got 14 on the freeway. He also gets pretty much 10-12 all the time w/o the chip and intake but also regeared the same.

That's about what my truck gets now with the 6.0 and 3.73 gear with some 33s on it. Mine however feels like a gutless pig.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Good read! Looking forward to more.....
Thanks Ill try and keep it updated.

That's about what my truck gets now with the 6.0 and 3.73 gear with some 33s on it. Mine however feels like a gutless pig.
yeah I think no matter what we tow, or do with it the mileage is pretty much just there. That was the biggest difference with the regear, it has power again, like when it was new and stock. It is way happier after the regear. I really do recommend it, but it is pretty spendy especially if you drop a locker in at the same time.

yeah I think no matter what we tow, or do with it the mileage is pretty much just there. That was the biggest difference with the regear, it has power again, like when it was new and stock. It is way happier after the regear. I really do recommend it, but it is pretty spendy especially if you drop a locker in at the same time.

Thanks I appreciate the info. I was thinking of moving to something more powerful but a regear would be cheaper.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I regeared my a Explorer- made a huge difference. It's almost sporty on the street. And in 4lo, I've only come across a few hills where I need the brake while going down.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Wicked truck Mr Yetti! I enjoyed reading this and am following along. I'm on the fence about a flatbed also, probably end up doing it next summer. And regearing is at the top of my to do list along with a replacement front bumper and winch. I was thinking about 4.56 but will probably go for the 4.88s. I've got 3.73 now and even with the 235/85/16 pizza cutters I usually have on, it gets a bit frustrating at times when towing.

IMG_8514_zpsypigmihg.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks I appreciate the info. I was thinking of moving to something more powerful but a regear would be cheaper.
I think you will be happy with the regear, My brother and I both are. I should of done it long ago, made it more fun to drive, and easier on the truck,

I regeared my a Explorer- made a huge difference. It's almost sporty on the street. And in 4lo, I've only come across a few hills where I need the brake while going down.
Its funny, I think for a lot of folk, its not something they think about. Maybe cause its not " sexy" or cant be seen, but is probably one of the first things you should do.

Wicked truck Mr Yetti! I enjoyed reading this and am following along. I'm on the fence about a flatbed also, probably end up doing it next summer. And regearing is at the top of my to do list along with a replacement front bumper and winch. I was thinking about 4.56 but will probably go for the 4.88s. I've got 3.73 now and even with the 235/85/16 pizza cutters I usually have on, it gets a bit frustrating at times when towing.

IMG_8514_zpsypigmihg.jpg
Good looking truck, I really like the color. I love my flatbed, but building one would of been better. I have a steel deck, but looking back wished i had gone with wood, easier on the dogs feet, stuff does not slide around, you can bolt stuff to it and replace boards as needed. I have a stall mat on mine and it needs to be there. First day with the bed I ran to town to get some mineral tubs. They are about 150#/unit. Well i lost 5 of them at a stop light. Lucky no one was hurt, and some folks helped me load them back up. The rubber mat fixed all that. I really like how my bumper turned out, its perfect for what I wanted. My brother did a great job,( http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/141516-2005-Silverado-Bumper) it weighs 50ibs, has protection and mounting point, and a receiver up front. w/o all the extra weight of the ARB, Buckstop, etc- they make nice bumpers though.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
It should be interesting to se if you go with a wood flatbed on your truck Yetti. Me being a carpenter its the easy solution. Keep us updated with your progress. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
It should be interesting to se if you go with a wood flatbed on your truck Yetti. Me being a carpenter its the easy solution. Keep us updated with your progress. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Chilli, If I had built it I would of sone steel frame, rack and just a wood deck. I have thought a lot about cutting the steel deck off of this one and replacing it with steel. I was going to build steel folding sied for it as well. Now that I don't feed off the back of it daily, or haul hay weekly I will build a few sets of wood sides for it since they don't need to fold flat down per say anymore, and will give me a template if i do fab something up later. Hopefully within 6 weeks or so( wood). Also I don't have everything i need to fab up steel ones either.

It did a new trick to me this morning, it has not been bad cold wise. 20's, started it up let it idle out of the park, continuing on to work as normal. As I was turning into the parking lot it died, Started right back up but when I put it into gear the RPM's dropped to 300 and she would die again. Only code, is a running lean, that comes and goes- related to the recent manifold gaskets i put on. I just gave her some throttle and stopped in my spot. At this point she does not have many tricks that I haven't already troubleshot or fixed. It was weird, Throttle body is , 6 months old. Plugs and wires good, intake system in tact. Mass air flow probably has 100k on it, but looks good. They do really weird stuff if you have any kind of intake leak. I'm a little past due for a oil change, so cleaned my BullyDog filter( although it was not that bad) put it back in and took it for a few laps seems fine now. Ill also replace both batteries they are old and have had a hard life, only the second set she has ever had. Even though they read 14 when running and 12 when off.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Great thread. and great looking truck. I'll echo others who've said nice to see someone using a truck. Clearly not a mall crawler. Its nice when you have a vehicle that long how you just "know" when something's wrong or exactly what it is that went wrong. I finally replaced the serpentine belt on my Yukon at 220K because I had a backup for years I was worried would get age cracks. I then put the original in my parts bin as my new/old spare. LOL

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Great thread. and great looking truck. I'll echo others who've said nice to see someone using a truck. Clearly not a mall crawler. Its nice when you have a vehicle that long how you just "know" when something's wrong or exactly what it is that went wrong. I finally replaced the serpentine belt on my Yukon at 220K because I had a backup for years I was worried would get age cracks. I then put the original in my parts bin as my new/old spare. LOL

Wilbah- Thanks, There is something to be said for that. I have also pretty much owned this truck since it was built, so its easy to tell when something is " off". My brother, Mums, Grandpas, and a few cousins having the same ones also helps. I would do a few things different if I was able, I would get a 1ton, I would keep a written record of dates and mileage I replaced parts, and I would wash it way more often, and wax it once a month. It had months where it never got washed, and years where it was never waxed. I am starting to have the clear coat peel in places. haha, sound about right. My original water pump is still going, but i think ill replace it sometime this summer just for good measure. They actually do remarkably well considering with just a little maintenance. The full size chevys and heavy duty trucks dont get a lot of credit for the things they can do, its pretty impressive though. At this point i have only ever driven a full size, so i can put it about anywhere but i know that's not the same for other people who did not grow up with full sizes, driving big rigs and tractors. It does get used, that is true. Its had a pretty easy life the past few years, only towing horses a few weekends a month, and even that now is being cut down.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Have been swamped at work lately, I replaced the oil pressure sender it failed( 235k miles). The chilton wanted me to pull the intake manifold to replace it. Its between the rear of the block and firewall. I did not want to go that route and was able to squeeze my hands in there and do it blind. Should not have taken long but did take me an hour. I also used the doorman clamp for the drivers side rear header broken bolt. Worked like a charm! not much room though, thank goodness for ratcheting wrenches. And I mounted the hilift to the back of my headache rack.

IMG_20180318_100220.jpg IMG_20180318_114523.jpg

I have some daystar airbag cradles waiting at home to be installed this weekend, and if the weather holds out some racks as well!

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks Chilli!!
Well the rain held off this weekend, I got the daystar airbag cradles installed, I did have to modify the bracket by drilling out a new hole to bolt the cradles too. As they only had a center hole, and my Firestone air bags only had two holes on the outside of the lower axle brackets. And I built some wood sides, as you can see I am not a carpenter but not bad for 3 hrs and 40$. Including the time to paint and go to town. So far i am happy with them.

IMG_20180325_164720.jpg IMG_20180325_164723.jpg IMG_20180325_164730.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
We wired the compressor and moved to under-body box. Im thinking of pulling the steel flatbed and using a wood deck, but so far i am happy with the compressor there. And put in the third set of batteries. Although the last set held up well for 100k miles and me doing absolutely nothing to care for them.

SoTxAg06

Nice seeing a full size Chevy. I have a 2010 that I’ve done some work to. Any plans to do a sas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles