Yetti’s Pacific North West Exploration & Expeditions Picture heavy

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Its been a long few weeks, Covid-19, on top of the normal medical and safety issues. After a particularly frustrating few days i penned this. when im off contract ill be able to share more,

6/24/2020 10:00am

I have to say,

I am disheartened and disappointed. I am unsure what to do or say to motivate and encourage those to make good choices.

I could talk about, the company having a legal right to deny any workers comp claim, or death payout when an employee is injured or dies on the job when not following known, safety policies and failing to wear PPE. About them, the place you have dumped your heart and soul in being able to come after you personally, for costs they incurred due to employee negligence. That safety is a condition of employment.
But that won’t matter or make a difference,

I could talk about how Alaska is the 7th ranked state in the US for work related fatalities. A death rate of 63.1, compared to that of the lower 48 which is 49.4. About how the commercial fishing industry is ranked as one of the highest for death rate 99.8 per 100,000 workers. In 2017 33 work related fatalities. 14 being from the fishing industry. In 2018 there were 32, 13 from the fishing industry. And 2019 was a worse year yet..

I could talk about what its like to do a death notification, for a loved one back home. I could talk about the ones I have done in my life so far. The way people react to news like that, some with instant anger and hatred. Others will deny it, scold me for playing a sick joke. I have them shut the door in my face, or simply hang up. Some with sobs, tears and begging for an explanation. An answer I am not able to give, I can’t explain why their son, daughter, father, mother, husband, wife choose to not work safely that day.

I could talk about leading by example, how your crew idolizes you. How they look up to you, the admiration and respect they have for you. How they will follow your lead, right or wrong. What it means to truly be a leader.

But that wont matter; or make a difference,

I could talk about the close calls, scars and stories that you’ve gotten here. What went wrong, what we could have done differently to change the outcome. That’s only the limited ones I know about, not the ones that aren’t spoken of. The ones you are imagining right now..

I could talk about the risk going up for misuse of equipment, not wearing PPE. It can only help you when used or worn. How when equipment is not used as intended, it increases the risk of not only failure but injury or death. How this stacks the deck against you.

I could talk about the ghosts that stay with you, the weight that places on your shoulders every day. Knowing someone was injured or killed. Someone you knew, knowing you could have led by example, or reminded them to be safe, wear the stuff, do the thing the right way. What’s a life worth, is it worth that few minutes you saved taking a shortcut?
But that won’t matter or make difference,

What matters is you, what makes a difference is you.
Not only deciding but making a commitment that everyone goes home today, no one gets hurt today. One second, One minute, One hour, One day, one task at a time.

• Jordan Pawley

Safety Manager & Medic

jgaz

Adventurer
Many people don’t realize that peer pressure, and shortcuts, are two very big factors in work place accidents.

Also, all the lame reasons that PPE is too uncomfortable, too much trouble to put on, only for **************, ........etc. etc. etc.
You are only one man, it’s hard to change a culture.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
We are pulling more and more vessels out of the water here for the winter. In the next week or two personal will be leaving, and we will shut down each building and area down winterizing them one by one.

Also, I may spend some time in Greenland and the Arctic this winter....as I have been approached for a contract.

But I look forward to spending time at home, soaking up the sun and time with the dog.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
damn I feel like an over-aged child. I need to pull myself together and stop bending over in front of society and do what I want
Life is short....I felt like I was on the wrong path. This is the first full year of freelance contracts, its still a test. Hopefully I dont regret leaving that good job, and beautiful cushy corner office.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Hello all,

I made it back, and will try and do a write up about it later.

The 15th was a long day, I made it home at 1am.

Unfortunately, Courdel my dog.... and honestly my best friend went missing on the 25th... I let him out that morning and have not seen him since. It extremely odd, no one has seen him. Posters, 170 shares on social media, and the entire tiny town i love has their eyes open.

I am not re-integrating as well as id like w/o him..

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Had the pleasure of working Medical Support for the Giant Loop Rally in southern Oregon last weekend. The closest ALS unit/ Ambulance would of been 45 mins minimum away.

All the color lines were the range my partner and I were to cover. As you can see, it's quite a large area. One patient was 150 mile round trip, out to a spot just shy of Mikey hot springs.

Bummer I had to use the company Moto. ;)

And it was held at a hot springs.

On a sad note, Courdel my long tailed best friend is still MIA.
8d4c21d3324d266aaebbb839953458d0.jpg
1f5fd3e00c4789cf7a583935f6f2e8c4.jpg
4943f487264c20faf6a1df351ec3818a.jpg
ad79636256d8b71c7cf4d42ca4dc1806.jpg
d778199975112a69e55a2d305b3a2a5c.jpg
de6391c0eb845aa448d5f93d35f95f00.jpg
e93c68d2f11a43d2dd66ae76961f7135.jpg
3ff8c837c49fc8f36aa00a7eeb749921.jpg
94aee3944c62a8decd7d7450b9f7e1a9.jpg

Sent from my magical BlackBerry pocket tool, somewhere remote. Happy Tails & Safe Travels

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
It's beautiful up there, and desolate. It really is the outback of Oregon, PNW. For example, one of my Patient extractions was 140 miles round trip, that is w/o going thru a town. And most of it on (w/o tracks and gravel roads out toward Mickey hot springs.

As far as cost, I'm not sure. They have a website and Google maps I'm sure says. I'll check,

I was there working: sooo did not cost me a thing as we were brought in for medical support. In fact I was paid to be there. Haha Soaking was included with the rally entrance fee.

Looks like just for the day to soak, is 10/ head. And any of the cabins, tent spots, RV spots, etc overnight stays include hot springs access.

Sent from my magical BlackBerry pocket tool, somewhere remote. Happy Tails & Safe Travels

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles