Yetti’s Pacific North West Exploration & Expeditions Picture heavy

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have been taking the time between contracts, and now that I quit my job: to knock out projects that I had previously purchased the equipment for and not had the time, alas is that not the way it goes. Will be working another few medical contracts next week.

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have been working a the Safety Manager & Medical Officer in Egegik Alaska since July 4th. Its been busy, trauma's, Heart Attacks, Strokes, broken bones, sutures, 4 cases of Bronchitis and Pneumonia, typical clinical coughs, and colds, Orthopedic injuries, etc

Ill leave here the 10th, and spend the next 6ish weeks bouncing around locations, and ships in the Bering sea working in the same capacity, giving others relief, etc

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Jack,

that we are! Now we are winterizing a facility, of a small town for 300 people. It is a big process, computers, electronics, fluids, etc have to be placed in a warm van for the winter, and all the buildings drained, and such. The only way to or from this town is by plane or boat. We are right on Bristol Bay. The town on its own has 30 full time residents.

I saw you met my brother the other day, in Reno I believe.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
The weekend I left, I took the truck and camper to Bend to work a triathlon medical contract in Sun river. I was with the bicycles, meaning I got to ride a moto around in the pack of competitors. It was great, cant believe i was paid for that. We had nothing w/ the moving crew. Our crew at base camp was swamped, however. We were all surprised for Sundays start when there was snow on the ground. I dont have much for pictures, but will add the few i have. From the drive home, I had only 20 hours to pack, and unload camper and bags, winterize my fiver, IMG_20190628_1849480.jpgand redo my gear load out for Alaska.
image-2019-06-28-19-05-06-6.jpgIMG_20190628_0822290.jpg
IMG_20190629_1133345.jpgIMG_20190630_1740290.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
A few nights prior to that, I worked an overnight transport moving a critical patient from our hospital, to one in Portland. About 10 hours, after drive time, patient pick up, drop off, and putting the medic unit back in service.

IMG_20190623_0038592.jpg

The next day was a lazy one at home:

insert picture of dogs and horses

I also found out the trick to replacing Pelican case latches- Tiny C clamp

IMG_20190625_1337168.jpg

When I get somewhere with better net, Ill do a post about my current location- after i have left

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack,

that we are! Now we are winterizing a facility, of a small town for 300 people. It is a big process, computers, electronics, fluids, etc have to be placed in a warm van for the winter, and all the buildings drained, and such. The only way to or from this town is by plane or boat. We are right on Bristol Bay. The town on its own has 30 full time residents.

I saw you met my brother the other day, in Reno I believe.

Wow, I've never heard of having to do that. Kinda crazy.

I did. We spent a couple of hours looking over each others rig. Just missed each other (schedule) for a recent adventure.

Jack

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I am currently in the Bering Sea, Anchored in Herendeen Bay off the Aluteion islands;

Not great internet, but when I get back home next month I will upload Pictures. Also spent three weeks in Dutch Harbor.

In the last few days it has been eventful, did steri strips to close a 6cm gash at 1am, a few nights ago.

two filling replacements.

and countless sick call, clinical call issues.

I may start a thread in, the medicine sub forum with some of the more severe injuries.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Currently on the Vessel Gordon Jensen. Also, it is amazing the things that not only we have access to, but that i am able to do. thank you KVH satellite, I can only imagine the bill they see.

IMG_20190828_2157190.jpgIMG_20190830_1702501.jpgIMG_20190904_1130048.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture5.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
You have quite an amazing, inspirational lifestyle guy!

Thx for sharing your adventures.

Able- well thank you, that actually means a lot. I have gained so much from this forum, and other blogs; and only hope to return the favor so others can add to their own lists, gain a smile or get a view of something new.

To show that travel, and exploration is not always about those long off journeys, but just weekend wanders and dog ventures as well. The last few months, I left my long standing good 9-5 desk job with DuPont Pioneer, as a Safety Coordinator. To pursue a passion, remote medicine, and disaster relief work. Fingers crossed the hard work and planning continues to pay off. As of right now, I am pretty happy with this one. Allowing me insurance, the ability to roll over and keep my 401k, and only work 6-8 months out of the year. The rest of the time left over for travel, and more freelance work. If you have any questions please let me know, Happy Trails & Safe Travels

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
This is going to be a it of time travel to December of 2014. I spent Nov 15-Dec 20th ( ish) outside Levenworth Wa, re certifying my Emergency Medical Technician Basic, that had lapsed. The course was all inclusive, we ate, slept and breathed remote medicine all month. With night scenario's, and daily's that required hiking and or snow showing to our patients.

We got a few weekends off, but most were spent studying.

You see,they took a course that most colleges take two terms or more to do, and did it in 1 month, including clinical and remote endorsements.

That was the beginning of a new plan for me, something that took me to where I am today.

One of the days off i wanted to go for a hike, and found myself heading into the Ghost Town of Wellington Washington.

I had no idea what to expect, unaware to the history, despair,those trees had born witness. The roads was one of the only ones partially open and close- so it became the chosen one.

It is the site of the deadliest avalanche disaster in american history ( including the 2015 Oso slide) taking 93 lives in the winter of 1910, March 1st. I can not do it justice, the first link I posted does a great narration of what happened.

The road was closed 1 mile in, so i parked strapped on the snowshoes and started that direction. It was quiet, but bright out, easy walking along the road. No sounds but my breathing and movement through the crunchy snow. The further up the road traveled, snow started to dissipate, until i decided to sit my snowshoes in a bank, and grab them on the way back.

After all, i had not seen nor heard any tracks, or sign of people around.

There were massive scars on the adjacent hillside, looked like the area had troubles with avalanches, some recent, others with trees stunted from those around it, but still decades old.

Snoqualmie Valley-20141214-00056.jpgSnoqualmie Valley-20141214-00079.jpg

I clicked a picture of the biggest scar, continuing on. Surprised at the pockets of snow, and bare ground. Tierra learning center ( where we were taking the classes, base camp) still had feet, and the pass was requiring chains. ( not that I put them on).

Lost in thoughts and running scenario's and study notes in my head.

What appeared around the bend, well it caught me by surprise.

Snoqualmie Valley-20141214-00059.jpgSnoqualmie Valley-20141214-00060.jpg

Its not everyday in this world you come face to face with a tank. It was slightly covered, and had not been moved in some time. Even equipped with a tiny solar panel and WDOT, sticker.

I made a guess, it must be used for avalanche control, the scars i was surrounded by sure showed it could be a problem here. I found a little parking area, some signs. and two trails, of course- have to look at both of them.

IMG-20141214-00061.jpgSnoqualmie Valley-20141214-00057.jpgSnoqualmie Valley-20141214-00066.jpgSnoqualmie Valley-20141214-00058.jpg
Snoqualmie Valley-20141214-00068.jpg

The signage helped clear a few things up, what a cool little place. Why had I never heard of it before?

That means there must be tunnels as well, i always like those, where is it?

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
December 2014-

I continued on heading into the snow sheds, relics to a different time,

An eerie and sad feeling came across me, like a shower. A feeling that told me this was a place of reverence. I brushed it off, as hiking alone in the middle of winter with no coms. Glad i had a small pack with me, and had left a note back on the classroom of where I was headed and estimated time of return.

forging forward with a driving hunger to discover what lay beyond.

Snoqualmie Valley-20141214-00062.jpg
Snoqualmie Valley-20141214-00064.jpg
Snoqualmie Valley-20141214-00065.jpg
Snoqualmie Valley-20141214-00067.jpg

They were pretty awesome to walk through, all the things they had seen. The reminder of the struggle between nature and engineering, parts being taken back with each day. Water wearing its way through the concrete and steel structure.

The day still as silent as can be, my foot steps, sounds of water moving. No bird song, or other expected noises. Walking back towards the tank, toward the other trail this sign is posted.
Snoqualmie Valley-20141214-00063.jpg

At that point, i had to read it twice. I just stood there taking everything in, the gravity of what i had been exploring hitting me.

Wondering what the mud, and snow the cloak of quietness has hidden all around me. The sad eerie feeling, the voice that had me second guessing my days plans.

Continuing onward, with a new reverence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier